• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece & Tokyo Mew Mew Not Canceled

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, i really dont see how that happend? Did a whole bunch of people complain? I dont really like one piece, but tokyo mew mew is OK, i read the comics a while ago and the show is way off
Kenshin5000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Darn. We were so close.

Looks like 4Kids is going to have One Piece for a while, at least all the way through the Alabaster arc. I wouldn't be so mad at them if they (or whatever company has the rights to distribute them) would just make with the uncut DVDs already.

Honestly. They said that they would do it when One Piece was first licensed, but we haven't heard anything official or substantial yet, other than a bunch of edited DVD announcements from alternating companies (first Toei, then Viz).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Both titles are property of 4Kids so they can take them on, or off anytime they want. Rolling Eyes
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin5000 wrote:
Darn. We were so close.

Nah, you just think you were that close, when in reality nobody truly knew what they were doing with the two titles, just speculated (and hoped) that it was canceled.

Sunny1 wrote:
Wow, i really don't see how that happend? Did a whole bunch of people complain?

Yep, everyone who commented on the chances of the show being canceled "complained". While I doubt they ever planned for One Piece to be gone for long (4Kids would rather have bad ratings than admit defeat) I'm sure they LOVED the buzz this generated.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kenshin5000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The problem was that the fact that they were taken off and it had been permenant, it could have been an indicator that 4Kids was giving up on the two licenses. Then that would have led to some other company at least picking up the rest of series and giving them uncut releases.

It also could have meant that, for One Piece's case, they would have been focusing on making the show exclusively for Toonami, where it gets much, much better ratings and exposure.

But, they're coming back, so all of this discussion has been for nothing. Confused

EDIT: Yes, we had no idea what was going to happen. But that also left the possibility that maybe they were being cancelled. Some fans will grasp at straws and hope for the best when they're desperate.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I can't say this isn't surprising. However, I still wouldn't be surprised to catch Mew Mew on Miguzi within the next 6 months.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin5000 wrote:
The problem was that the fact that they were taken off and it had been permenant, it could have been an indicator that 4Kids was giving up on the two licenses. Then that would have led to some other company at least picking up the rest of series and giving them uncut releases.

"If" and "could" aren't exactly "facts". Who says that even if the shows were canceled they would let the rights go? Who says they wouldn't just hold on to them for a few years and do nothing with them? People shouldn't act so disappointed that they didn't get what they wanted when there really wasn't any reason to believe they were going to get it in the first place. I mean, JLU hasn't been on Toonami for weeks and it doesn't look like Teen Titans will be renewed for another season, I guess that means WB might sell DC to another company right? Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Mew Mew Power having a chance at returning? Not surprising.

One Piece? 4Kids, stop doing drugs. For god's sake, it's one of the lowest rated programs on Saturday morning television, yet it does surprisingly good on Toonami. Does this need to be made ANY more clearer to you guys!?
Seiitsuno Megami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Of course, within three weeks of TMM returning, they might take it off again...since they haven't licensed episodes 27-52. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Seiitsuno Megami wrote:
Of course, within three weeks of TMM returning, they might take it off again...since they haven't licensed episodes 27-52. Rolling Eyes

They haven't? Since when?
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin5000 wrote:
Darn. We were so close.

Honestly. They said that they would do it when One Piece was first licensed, but we haven't heard anything official or substantial yet, other than a bunch of edited DVD announcements from alternating companies (first Toei, then Viz).
4Kids also said they were going to continue releasing their uncut Shaman King and uncut Yugioh DVDs after the edited dubs finished airing on TV, but then they cancelled them completely. You should just take every promise that this company makes with a grain of salt. In all honesty, I'm not really surprised that Mew Mew Power and One Piece are going to return. As I've said in a previous thread, 4Kids did this exact same thing with Shaman King, so it's not like this kind of thing is new. Of course, 4Kids also didn't specify when these shows were going to return, so it could still be possible that they might just forget that these shows existed and keep them off the air until their rights expired, but I still wouldn't get my hopes up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
KahnIsHitler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Well at least we all know that one glorius day Kahn will be dumped into the bottom of hell for all eternity screaming for help while his skin rots off.

I live for that day....We all live for that day.

Heck, I come to this site every chance I get so that I can see if he died yet and if FUNimation have announced Bleach yet.

A company(4Kids) that was built off lies will be destroyed by truth.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
You should just take every promise that this company makes with a grain of salt.

Or two.

Or three.

Hundred.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
OP might not be canceled just yet, but there's a good chance it won't last past this season. Taking a show off the air during sweeps is almost always a sign of impending cancellation, or at the very least it's a sign that the show is underperforming and cancellation is being considered. So OP is in trouble, but exactly how much trouble remains to be seen. It might be on the bubble, and the next few months of ratings may determine its survival. It's also possible that 4Kids has already decided to pull the plug on the show but still intends to air the episodes they've already dubbed, which will probably take us through at least some if not all of the Alabasta arc.

In the end, all we have is what we had before-speculation. We probably won't know for sure until the 4Kids TV schedule for next fall is announced.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
If there even is a 4Kids TV next year. From what I've heard, Fox is considering to pull it because of its low ratings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6