• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Nobody's Boy Remi

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
Interesting article Justin, though in today's world, the classics seem to be forgotten as the years go by.

Admitingly, I have only watched a handful of older shows, but the new trend with the new generation seems to only want to watch the latest work.

Ursei Yatsura, Astro Boy, Dr. Slump, Captain Harlock and several other shows are among the classic shows I've seen since I started watching anime six years ago.

Hope all is well with Robin's move, moving can be difficult and tiresome. Thanks for the great article.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
though the show was later remade with Remi as a girl in the early 1990s. (Indeed, this remake flopped so badly that it was cancelled, effectively ending WMT completely

The remake was more popular here, I think. I've only seen the boy version once, and the girl version at least three times. They still show it here once in a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Producing these discs, I was literally pumping out six individual discs per month more or less by myself.

And I really appreciate the work, bro. I'm surprised you haven't hired yourself out to finish the Geneon stuff, though, considering FUNimation will probably be swamped with their other licenses in a few months. Wink Or is that more of a hobby than a paid gig?

Quote:
So many horrible things happen to Remi that those of us with a darker sense of humor may even find it amusing. (My intern Tom once suggested a drinking game: take a shot every time Remi learns how horrible life is; try to stand after a single episode.) But the bad times are so relentless that even our most cynical sensibilities are tested. By the show's halfway point many of the secondary characters are dead and Remi has gone through so much trauma and agony that our defenses come down and we're traumatized along with him. It's hard to get through those episodes, but few works of fiction so systematically chip away at our psychological defense mechanisms.

Though I'll still watch it over those Eva remakes, if I get the chance.

Quote:
An early collaboration between one of my favorite anime directors Osamu Dezaki and Akio Sugino

Even the Golgo stuff?

Quote:
Completely unknown to American viewers (though well-loved in Central America and Asia), Remi was the least popular of the Anime Classics line, and only sold a handful of copies.

f I had known it was going to disappear that fast, I would've picked it up sooner, too.
kiches

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
Ditto, I have volume 1 with the keepcase but decided to get the rest of the series later on. If I had known they'd be out of print so soon I would've acted faster.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
That first disc I got from you left me mortified. I really wanted to see more but didn't get the chance to grab the rest from you. I do hope you're able to resurrect the classics line. Believe it or not, despite the overall sales figures of the industry and the like. many people I've found at cons do want to see older anime to learn what came before. I've seen people fill up rooms for 80's and 70's titles. Animation students in particular seem to be curious about older techniques and the like. Despite not being as popular as modern animated shows, I\it's not totally as hopeless as people think for this kind of project to be moderately successful I think.

Also, any chance for the world to be exposed to more Dezaki / Sugino goodness is always a worthy goal. The first Golgo 13 remains one of my all-time favorites just because of the overall look of the film.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
kiches wrote:
Ditto, I have volume 1 with the keepcase but decided to get the rest of the series later on. If I had known they'd be out of print so soon I would've acted faster.

Same here, I just hadn't had the money recently to pick up the disks, now I'm sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
http://imavision.com/fr/eStore,wciCatalogue,type-C,ID-368.html

Not sure if this'll help many people, but there is an R1, regular pressing version of Remi, available from Imavision (Canadian DVD company, best known in english for their Little House on the Prairie dvd's]. The catch is it's french. This was issued a few years ago, but looks to still be available.....

I hope it gets a 2nd chance on subbed dvd someday.
frodonk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote
remi was the very first anime i had watched, and at that time i was at least 4 - 5 years old. since it has been so long ago my memory of the show somehow involves remi suddenly becoming a girl at the middle of the series, thanks to this article i now know that i had actually watched two different titles from that time.

what struck me when i was watching way back then was the time when spoiler[the animals started dying one by one and in the end the old man died too.], i also remember at least 2 other dogs apart from cappy, i don't know the difference between the two versions so i cant separate one from the other. while all the other details of the show are just a blur when i try to remember them, all i know is that this title started my anime addiction that still hasn't left me more than a decade later.
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote
Well, in Latin America, it was well-known (along with other series, like Candy Candy and Robotech). In fact, the Mexican dub actor that gave voice to Mr. Vitalis died on Monday. Rest in peace.
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
The catch is it's french.

Watching the show I keep thinking, for some strange reason, that I would love to see the show in French with English subtitles.

I suppose I'm one in the handful who was lucky enough to be able to get the whole set. But then again this was the one show of the three from ImaginAsian/TMS that I was really excited about because a friend had strongly recommended the show to me about 2 or 3 years ago. Still, for other reasons, I didn't actually start watching it until last week.

I intended to marathon the show initially but after just a few episodes I realized I'd probably be near suicidal if I did watch it straight through. It's a great show, and the quality is impressive for such an old series, but I can't handle all that misfortune in large doses. I'm on disc 3 right now and there are a few bright spots for Remi so this might be the first volume that I'll get through entirely in a single day day. Then again, I've only gotten through 2 episodes and 10 minutes of the third , so there's plenty of time for more misfortune, and I see some of the stuff being hinted at; it can't possibly lead to hugs, bunnies, and rainbows. (It's paused right now so I can make this post. I had to stop to post something when I saw the show I'm watching right now is featured on Buried Treasure.)
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
Wow,

I didn't realize that you, Justin, had so much to do with those Imaginasian line of titles. In retrospect I should have picked up Nobody's Boy Remi, but I was very faithful with getting Cat's Eye through TRSI.

Not to change subjects away from Remi, but I really enjoyed Cat's Eye. Thanks for working on that one, Justin. Regardless of any of the weaknesses of the show, I found myself really drawn in by the three sisters over the course of the series, especially when the plot lines ramped up and became a little more serious.

I thought it was a good way to try to bring back old, out of print series. Now, only if you had some more support on the actual work, maybe it would have not have been such a love / hate relationship! Wink

Thanks for all the hard work!!
hessen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
1 question though.. I remember this show from when i was a kid, but i have never seen 51 episodes of it.

Is it possible that they cut up the show and made it into a movie?

because i remember having it on VHS, me being around 4 or 5 years old and watching it everyday. I loved this show, i was hooked on it.

I love in Holland btw, and the movie was called; "Remi, alleen op de wereld" (Remi, all alone in the world)
Ialdaboth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
(/snip comment about dumb youngters nowaday snobing older anime material under the fallacious argument that it is, well, older - they don't know and don't deserve to know what they are missing)

Funnily, "Rémi" was one of my most beloved anime series while I was a toddler, and I recall it being rebroadcasted several times on TV as it was quite popular here. And I don't recall being traumatized because of it (well, except for the same scene frodonk spoke about).

I believe this attitude towards the sanitization of children material is somewhat recent; it's a shame as this kind of shows help them to lern to cope with reality as they grow up...

undeadben wrote:
Watching the show I keep thinking, for some strange reason, that I would love to see the show in French with English subtitles.

Well, we have a good edition of the show here in France, but no english subtitles alas so you will have to make your own version of the show from both the US and the French editions... ^^
Askman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
Damn, after reading the article now I'm very interested in this series. It looks like I'm going to burn through some more of my paycheck.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
I was one of the handful that picked up Remi when it was available in the Imaginasian Anime Classics line, and I'm so glad I did. I enjoyed it (well, maybe that's not *quite* the verb I'm looking for, considering how much of a downer most of the series is) very much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3