• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika Widens in U.S. Friday, Opens in Canada June 15

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Max power wrote:
Scotia Bank Theatre in Toronto (Richmond and John)

I saw it there yesterday, which was *sob* its last day.

Today it moved to the Carlton Cinemas at Yonge and College, which is like watching a movie on a big TV at home; just not the same as a truly cinematic experience.

And the release doesn't seem to be expanding in Canada, does it?

So I'm glad I caught it when I did. I've enjoyed most of Satoshi Kon's projects, but this one was the first that I actively want to see again.
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
For those who live in NW Oregon and SW Washington: Paprika will be showing in Portland at Cinema 21 twice daily as well as three more showings on the weekends and Wednesday for the week of June 22 - 28, 2007.

Could someone please let the Anime News Network admins that according to The Portland Mercury
http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/Content?oid=349363&category=34029

Tekkon Kinkreet will be playing in Portland, Oregon for one showing, Tues June 26, Newmark Theatre, 1111 SW Broadway, 7 pm
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, now it's beaten Steamboy, and could easily overtake GITS and possibly Akira!
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wow, now it's beaten Steamboy, and could easily overtake GITS and possibly Akira!

Cool ... I've never happened to see that list before.

I didn't realize Tokyo Godfathers had outgrossed Millennium Actress; I'm surprised only because I remember seeing Millennium Actress here in Toronto on the big screen, but I don't remember Tokyo Godfathers getting a theatrical release at all. I must've missed it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Vok:
Quote:
I didn't realize Tokyo Godfathers had outgrossed Millennium Actress;

That's cus Dreamworks wasn't doing its job. Mad
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, DreamWorks did a better job at getting me into the theatre to see 'Millennium Actress' than anyone else did at letting me know about 'Tokyo Godfathers' ... had to discover the latter on DVD.

Torontonians (and surroundingsians) take note: 'Paprika' will play at least one more week at the Carlton Cinemas.

Currently listed showtimes:

June 27, 2007 - June 29, 2007
4:35 | 7:25 | 9:25

June 30, 2007 - July 02, 2007
2:10 | 4:35 | 7:25 | 9:25

July 03, 2007 - July 05, 2007
4:35 | 7:25 | 9:25
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Vok: Good for you; you were one of the few lucky ones to get ads for the film in your area. Most people hadn't heard about it.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Just saw Paprika at the Angelika Film center in the Dallas, which I think was the only place in Texas playing it (or near where I lived, at least). I loved it, definitely a must-see if you like Satoshi Kon. The dream sequences were wonderful: I think my favorite part was when Paprika took the form of Sun Wu-Kung the Monkey King and flew through the sky, since I happen to be reading Journey to the West right now and caught the reference. Anime hyper

Only thing that bothered me was that it seemed too long: but then again, movies always seem too long to me when I watch them the first time, especially in a theater. The ending did a good job of wrapping things up though: I like how it began and ended with that cop guy (Konakawa?).
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The link at this thread says it's playing in Portland next weekend and other Oregon cities next month.

I wish that page had been correct. I got all excited, thinking it was going to be showing in Indy, and according to the Keystone Cinema's site, it's not. Or at least not this weekend. I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope maybe it's just going to come later or something. I'm terribly disappointed though, as it was going to be a part of my wedding anniversary celebrations.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Vok: Good for you; you were one of the few lucky ones to get ads for the film in your area. Most people hadn't heard about it.

I doubt there were many ads. There certainly have been none for 'Paprika' that I've noticed. But there have been reviews. I try to keep up on what's opening each week ....
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's official. Paprika beat Akira, making it the second-highest grossing Madhouse theatrical release behind Metropolis. Though I'm not sure if it'll be able to make it that far at its present rate...
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember much marketing for 'Metropolis', either, but it would certainly have been easier to market, given it was based on comics by the creator of 'Astro Boy' and was written by the creator of 'Akira.'
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Good news for Torontonians: 'Paprika' is playing the Carlton Cinemas for yet another week!

Not bad considering all the competition at the moment ....
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:20 am Reply with quote
Oh wow. I had nearly given up, not thinking it was still playing. It's playing in three places near me! (I feel spoiled being in the San Francisco area sometimes...) I think I will have to go see this ASAP, because I was just thinking about it the other day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Damius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quote
That is good news except for the fact that non of the city are near mine... Why not opens in Canada in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.........

Crying or Very sad

The worst is we get in here Naruto for a day...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6