• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 6,000 See One-Night Naruto Run, Viz Mulls Other Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I drove a half hour to the theater nearest me and even though they had two theaters they were showing the film in there were still a lot of angry fans who didn't get tickets. For something with such a limited showing I'm really surprised people didn't automatically assume the tickets would sell out fast online.

I was kinda disappointed with the digital projection at the theater I went to. I had heard (obviously incorrectly) that they would just take the films produced in Japan and play the English dubbed track. I suppose the projection would have been just fine, but the theater I was at their machine wasn't calibrated or aligned properly and so the picture kinda looked like you were watching it cross-eyed. Not pleasant for sitting three rows back.

Still it was fun to see such support for a one-night run Anime movie. And I'd do it again (though next time I'll demand my money back if they can't get the projector to work properly)
smoochy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of Naruto, but I'd go if there was another screening just to support anime in theatres.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I saw this in the theater as well. We had a few issues. They got the wrong theater. We all had to movie from one room to another. Thankfully this was done before it started. There was also massive noise issues with some kids screaming their cuts out. The general manager of the place stepped up and gave me money back for non-refundable online ordered tickets. Since they handled it like adults, I'll go back. On a side note, although it wasn't really a problem, the satellite feed looked like a satellite feed. There was some minor grain to it, as well as one brief instance of stutter.

Overall a good experience and a good movie. They need to find some way to shut those kids up though. If not, maybe do a second midnight running for all of us adults/teens who want to see it without the kiddies screaming at the top of their lungs.

Edit: I realize I already posted a more indepth account of the event in the anime forum, but maybe this is appropriate here. I don't know. Is there any way to contact Viz regarding the problems the showing had?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
*shakes head*

Can't these companies try and court arthouses, film festivals, and other like venues? Guarantee you can easily top more than 6,000 in a limited scope release. Plus you get parents that will drag their kids and end up paying for the fare, and maybe extra tickets for themselves. I dunno, maybe call it a "coupon kids day" or something like that.

Seems like a slam dunk to me. But they still do this.

I know theres a FUNi rep lurking on the boards, why didn't his company do a similar idea with the Fullmetal Alchemist movie?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
A 166-theater film festival/arthouse run would require expensive-to-develop, expensive-to-ship film prints versus cheap-to-develop, near-zero-costs-to-ship digital release. (Most arthouses don't have digital projection beyond an off-the-shelf DVD player.) A 166-theater film festival/arthouse run would be staggered across weeks or even months, adding to the logistics scheduling and bills. Many areas of United States have no film festival or just one film festival.

Basically, Viz accomplished in one night what would have taken a traditional arthouse release weeks or months at several times the cost. And many people would still miss it because the one local film festival is already booked in the winter or the one local arthouse closed down. Plus, they can do it all over again in Canada with hardly any overhead or shipping costs.

Put it another way: how many other anime films have screenings in over a 140 American cities? Now find out how much those screenings costs.

This is Naruto, not an arthouse film. A arthouse film can get 6,000 attendees with only 10 cities or less because its audience is concentrated around New York, Los Angeles, and the major metropolitan areas. The audience for a film like Naruto is diffused across the entire country, with parents who wouldn't drive to the next state just for a kid's movie, but who would be willing to drive to the next county over.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
A 166-theater film festival/arthouse run would require expensive-to-develop, expensive-to-ship film prints versus cheap-to-develop, near-zero-costs-to-ship digital release. (Most arthouses don't have digital projection beyond an off-the-shelf DVD player.) A 166-theater film festival/arthouse run would be staggered across weeks or even months, adding to the logistics scheduling and bills. Many areas of United States have no film festival or just one film festival.

Basically, Viz accomplished in one night what would have taken a traditional arthouse release weeks or months at several times the cost. And many people would still miss it because one local film festival is already booked in the winter or the local arthouse closed down. Plus, they can do it all over again in Canada with hardly any overhead or shipping costs.

Put it another way: how many other anime films have screenings in over a 140 American cities? Now find out how much those screenings costs.

This is Naruto, not an arthouse film. A arthouse film can get 6,000 attendees with only 10 cities or less because its audience is concentrated around New York, Los Angeles, and the major metropolitan areas. The audience for a film like Naruto is diffused across the entire country, with parents who wouldn't drive to the next state just for a kid's movie, but who would be willing to drive to the next county over.

*shakes head again*

Understand that Viz is also a company in the business of making money. If their advertising department had some..."Testicular Fortitude"......they could see that if they tried to go for areas that would produce more viewership, they could stand to make alot more profit.

Also, it would be a great boon for the film festivals, because you also get a new viewship to come to their events afterwards. The kids might come for Naruto, but the Parents could come for other films.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

Basically, Viz accomplished in one night what would have taken a traditional arthouse release weeks or months at several times the cost. And many people would still miss it because one local film festival is already booked in the winter or the local arthouse closed down. Plus, they can do it all over again in Canada with hardly any overhead or shipping costs.

*shakes head again*

Understand that Viz is also a company in the business of making money. If their advertising department had some..."Testicular Fortitude"......they could see that if they tried to go for areas that would produce more viewership, they could stand to make alot more profit.

Yes, and the business of making money means profit must be higher than costs. Advertising with "fortitude" and film reel development cost money. All that money is lost when you're advertising and showing to the wrong audience. For the most part and present company excepted, arthouse audiences are not Naruto audiences.

Remember, Viz is not a newbie at film festivals and arthouse showings. It and the other Japanese pop culture companies have done such showings for years. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade does well in film festivals. Kamikaze Girls does somewhat well in film festivals. Naruto does better at a multiplex.

Quote:
Also, it would be a great boon for the film festivals, because you also get a new viewship to come to their events afterwards. The kids might come for Naruto, but the Parents could come for other films.

Imagine you're a parent of a nine-year-old. She wants to see Naruto at 7:00 pm. By the premise above, you wouldn't have wanted to go to this hypothetical film festival showing across the state on your own, but you might want to see Sicko that's also at 7:00 as long as you're dragged here.

Naruto ends an hour and a half later. What is your nine-year-old kid going to do while you're watching the decline of the health industry for another half hour in a city she's never been in? Worse, imagine if Naruto was at 7:00, and Sicko is at 9:30 p.m. You might sit through Naruto, but would she sit through Sicko? It might be edifying, but try telling that to a nine-year-old.

There's a reason why most film festivals aren't considered family outings by actual parents. Some film festivals do well with a children's day, but not 160 of them that aren't all near major metropolitan areas.

This type of digital release gets a movie out to more areas where the saturation of fandom is not deep. A film festival/arthouse release gets a movie out only to limited areas where the saturation is already deep. For what is essentially a 82-minute commercial for the DVD, the Naruto movie benefits more from the former than later.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Plus, I'm assuming that this Naruto was shown dubbed. Some arthouses may not consider it to be a "foreign" film because it was dubbed/R1 distributed title and won't show it. That's what I found out when trying to find out where DBZ was shown in Chicago and called one of the arthouses.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Remember, Viz is not a newbie at film festivals and arthouse showings. It and the other Japanese pop culture companies have done such showings for years. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade does well in film festivals. Kamikaze Girls does somewhat well in film festivals. Naruto does better at a multiplex.

So why the limited release then? I can say that Viz' Advertising department pretty much screwed the pooch when it came to exposure. Plus they pimp out two versions of the DVD's, oddles of merch, and their afraid of the Big Screen?

This is why I really hate Corporations. Or LLC's, whatever.

Quote:
Imagine you're a parent of a nine-year-old. She wants to see Naruto at 7:00 pm. By the premise above, you wouldn't have wanted to go to this hypothetical film festival showing across the state on your own, but you might want to see Sicko that's also at 7:00 as long as you're dragged here.

Naruto ends an hour and a half later. What is your nine-year-old kid going to do while you're watching the decline of the health industry for another half hour in a city she's never been in? Worse, imagine if Naruto was at 7:00, and Sicko is at 9:30 p.m. You might sit through Naruto, but would she sit through Sicko? It might be edifying, but try telling that to a nine-year-old.

There's a reason why most film festivals aren't considered family outings by actual parents. Some film festivals do well with a children's day, but not 160 of them that aren't all near major metropolitan areas.

You completely missed the point.

Film festivals benefit by the double-dip method; Parents bring kids to see Naruto. Film festival then can also try and entice Parents (Or other "Adult Otaku") by bringing them back for another film on another day.

hikaru004 wrote:
Plus, I'm assuming that this Naruto was shown dubbed. Some arthouses may not consider it to be a "foreign" film because it was dubbed/R1 distributed title and won't show it. That's what I found out when trying to find out where DBZ was shown in Chicago and called one of the arthouses.

Thats a very weak arguement to be bringing to the table.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

So why the limited release then? I can say that Viz' Advertising department pretty much screwed the pooch when it came to exposure. Plus they pimp out two versions of the DVD's, oddles of merch, and their afraid of the Big Screen?

Viz or any anime company would love the opportunity to do a wide release. They're not the ones afraid; it's the theater owners, and for good reason. Only a few anime can walk into the theater owners' convention and sign up hundreds of screens. (Strictly speaking, less than 600 is limited release.) The theater owners want see past performance or big Madison-Avenue-level budgets for assurance, and Viz doesn't have either yet--especially for a film franchise with no A- or B-list actors, no director with a proven record in America, and no Nintendo blitzing Time magazine.

Even Pokemon can't command six hundred screens now; that's why Warner Bros and Buena Vista dropped Pokemon films like a electrified rat and let Viz Media have it.

Actually, looking at Box Office Mojo, only six anime movies--half of them Pokemon--had what the motion picture industry terms an wide release. Naruto anime isn't at the level of Pokemon, Spirited Away, or even Yu-Gi-Oh yet.

Quote:
This is why I really hate Corporations. Or LLC's, whatever.

We might hate corporations for being afraid of anime--but you're misdirecting your anger at the wrong corporations.

Quote:
Quote:

You completely missed the point.

Film festivals benefit by the double-dip method; Parents bring kids to see Naruto. Film festival then can also try and entice Parents (Or other "Adult Otaku") by bringing them back for another film on another day.

Uh, do you think a parent will drive across counties to sit with their kid to watch Naruto at this hypothetical film festival, and drive across the counties again to watch another film?

Besides adding a whole other driving trip, who's going to watch the kid the whole time on yet another day? Your idea didn't lower the parent's burden, it doubled it.

You're not a parent, are you? Wink

This Naruto campaign put the movie in a 150-odd cities, which is closer to more parents than a few dozen arthouses, primarily clustered around the big metropolitan areas.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
I don't know about other theatres, but where I went (Gateway in Austin) was PACKED. I'm not good at judging crowds, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number was over 100 . . . pretty good for a single room. There were even several people that got turned away at the box office because it had been sold out for three days.

I loved it, the movie was good (Definitely the kind of movie one would want to see on a big screen.) and there was kind of a sense of fan unity, with everyone laughing at the same jokes and going "OH WOW!" at the same scenes. It was strange, because at every other movie I'd get annoyed at people make noise, but here it just seemed "right". Naruto is something that's hard to experience quietly.

I had a ton of fun, and thought the whole thing was a success overall. I'd definitely go if they screened the other Naruto movies, and I'd love to see other anime movies get a spot on the big screen. (Though I'd only go myself if it was a series/movie I was at least a little interested in.)
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote
I decided I would just buy the DVD. Naruto is an ok anime/manga, but it is the most overrated anime/manga ever. Naruto is about ninjas that has nothing to do with ninjas! Yay! Anyway, when does the DVD come out? And to people who saw it, was any of it edited?
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I know theres a FUNi rep lurking on the boards, why didn't his company do a similar idea with the Fullmetal Alchemist movie?

They did. Approximately 40 theaters back in September.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Can't these companies try and court arthouses, film festivals, and other like venues? Guarantee you can easily top more than 6,000 in a limited scope release. Plus you get parents that will drag their kids and end up paying for the fare, and maybe extra tickets for themselves. I dunno, maybe call it a "coupon kids day" or something like that.

Seems like a slam dunk to me. But they still do this.

Well, my company is finishing up our first major art-house release, and it is SO expensive and ridiculously time consuming that a) even for a limited, Paprika-level run in theaters, it's almost impossible to break even, and b) the only reason to do such a thing is to get good press and critic quotes to promote the DVD, which the Naruto movies were unlikely to get anyway.

Between making Dolby Digital optical tracks, whatever English post-production (credits or whatever), striking a new internegative, you're already around the $20,000 mark before you've even made your first print. And that's not counting any marketing, dub production, 5.1 mixing, print logistics, or any other P&A costs. Remember, Naruto is NOT as big as we in anime fandom sometimes think it is -- mainstream-wise, it's not even where Digimon was at its peak. So a sustained release for weeks in key markets would likely not work for this.

And for theatrical releases, you can always point the finger at "you should have done more marketing", but we'll never know if the resulting box office would have balanced out the $5,000+ print ads for each market or whatnot. In the case of Naruto, I doubt it.

So what was it? A fun event for a limited number of fans to celebrate the movie release of a show they like, and to help them get more hyped up about the francise in general. Sounds good to me.

In short it's not nearly as simple or cheap as you seem to think it is. I personally think Viz had a pretty good idea with this one, and I hope to see them succeed with this model moving forward.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
Who bets they could have doubled the amount of people if it was shown subbed???? Maybe Bleach Memories of Nobody will get a subbed release when it comes out here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3