• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Adds Both Unico Anime Feature Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
nottimkai wrote:
Which was the creepy one that had shades of genocide in it? The one where all the townsfolk get turned into block-y wooden puppets and then built into a giant structure?

That would be the 2nd film, Unico in the Island of Magic, which is delightfully effed-up and seriously one of my all-time favorite movies. Color me STOKED.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
This is so awesome, thankyou Discotek.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!!!! YES!! It's about DAMN TIME!! This is great news. I'd been wondering when these films were going to be released. I remember some mention of a possible license. The question was who was going to do it. Thanks to this piece now I know who. Definitely will be recommending this once it's released. Not to mention purchasing a copy for myself. I'm building a classic anime collection at this time. So I've already picked up many of the earlier releases (ie, Taro the Dragon Boy, Animal Treasure Island, Sea Prince..., etc, etc...). So cannot wait for this.

Great JOB Discotek!! Surprised Very Happy
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
The Island of magic WAS a very creepy movie when I was a kid. I remember the villain being this floating ball with a head and his dubbed voice was super creepy with a high pitched sinister laugh. Im sure when I see it again it will not be scary at all.
I remember seeing both movies on the Disney Channel back in the day. ohh memories. Smile
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Emichan wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:
(now if they'd get Ringing Bell as well that would be nice, too).

While I would LOVE to see Ringing Bell licensed for DVD, I have a feeling it would traumatize kids forever Smile It's so delightfully messed up!
I swear, before I watched Ringing Bell when I was a little thing back in the 80's I'd already seen Watership Down and I found Ringing Bell more emotionally traumatizing than that (even if it also fascinated the heck outta me). I remember about a month after I watched it I was at my friend's house and her mom came home from the video store with it and I was like "you really want to watch that? it's kind of... scary..." (my friend was a year younger than me and far more sensitive to that kind of stuff than I was). they insisted on watching it so I went home and later I had my friend's mom telling me that she should have listened to me. sadly by the time I was ready to watch it again the video rental store that had it was out of business.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
This awesome for any anime fans that want to watch anime from the old days. Thanks, Discotek. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yay!! I'll definitely pick up Unico when it's released. I hope Discotek releases other old anime as well. I remember watching Ringing Bell when I was little, my dad rented it and I watched it, the scene I clearly remember as a child was what happened to Chirin's mother.

Other anime hopes Discotek will release:
Ringing Bell
The Mouse and His Child
A Journey Through Fairyland
Horus, Prince of the Sun
Magic Boy
Swan Lake
Alakazam The Great!
Nobody's Boy Remi
The Amazing 3
Jack and the Witch
Attack No. 1
Flying Phantom Ship
Adventures of Hutch the Honeybee
Triton of the Sea
Aim for the Ace!
Heidi, Girl of the Alps
Jack and the Beanstalk (1974 film)
Maya the Bee
Belle and Sebastian
Future Boy Conan
Rose of Versailles
Undersea Super Train: Marine Express
Cyborg 009: Legend of the Super Galaxy (I would like a redub, the old one is horrible Laughing )
Hashire Melos!
In the Beginning
Ulysses 31
Sherlock Hound
Like the Clouds, Like the Wind
Dog of Flanders

Last edited by trunkschan90 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 9 times in total
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Yay!! I'll definitely pick up Unico when it's released. I hope Discotek releases other old anime as well. I remember watching Ringing Bell when I was little, my dad rented it and I watched it, the scene I clearly remember as a child was what happened to Chirin's mother.
it was the ending that really got me the most. Chirin wandering all alone at the end, that was just one heck of a downer ending, especially for someone the age I was when I first watched it. that ending stuck in my mind so firmly I could still remember it years later and when I finally got a chance to rewatch it a few years back (I torrented it, I didn't want to buy a bootleg or a used VHS of questionable quality) it was the only part I remembered perfectly. not to mention it was the first anime I watched where the ending left me crying.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ringing Bell
The Mouse and His Child
A Journey Through Fairyland
Horus, Prince of the Sun
Magic Boy
Swan Lake
Alakazam The Great!
Nobody's Boy Remi
The Amazing 3
Jack and the Witch
Attack No. 1
Flying Phantom Ship
Adventures of Hutch the Honeybee
Triton of the Sea
Aim for the Ace!
Heidi, Girl of the Alps
Maya the Bee
Belle and Sebastian
Future Boy Conan
Rose of Versailles
Undersea Super Train: Marine Express
Cyborg 009: Legend of the Super Galaxy (I would like a redub, the old one is horrible )
Hashire Melos!
In the Beginning
Ulysses 31
Sherlock Hound
Like the Clouds, Like the Wind

Don't forget to add Dog of Flanders to that list too! Very Happy I'll be SUPER happy if they license that!

Also, I kinda doubt Heidi will get licensed. As much as I'd LOVE for WMT anime to be licensed, it doesn't look like it'll happen any time soon, though I would love it if I was proven wrong on this.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Horus, Prince of the Sun
Sherlock Hound

Jack and the Beanstalk (1974) is available with the Japanese language version and English dubtitles (and the English dub) from Hen's Tooth Video, I think it was cropped to 4:3 and the print could do with cleaning up, but it's a decent release compared to that recieved by many other older anime aimed at kids.

The other two can be imported from the u.k., though obviously that doesn't help much if you don't have a multi-region player (not to mention the potential PAL/NTSC issue).
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:44 am Reply with quote
If you have VLC player you can watch region 2 discs on your computer and it even plays PAL, just make sure you have the latest version. I got Hols: Prince of the Sun (under the title A Little Norse Prince) that way and was able to watch it, it is UK region 2 PAL.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2