• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kasimasi Sub.DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:

Why? Because reading is so hard? Rolling Eyes It's the same show, whether the characters are speaking English or Japanese.

It's not really a matter of "reading is hard" at all. I have watched plenty of shows in Japanese with English subtitles and enjoyed them, but I expect an English dub to be included on R1 anime DVD's as a standard. Without it, a title becomes much less of a priority for me.

I'm pretty interested in this title, but since it is sub-only, I would rather at least wait for a collection before I even bother.
Setis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Chalk me up as another that won't buy this due to the lack of a dub even though it sounded like a fun show. If I want to read my anime I'll buy manga.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Gacktx wrote:
Lol how is no English dub a negitive?

Because we can't hear our favorite English VAs lust over each other. Why should the Japanese seiyuus have all the fun?! Rolling Eyes
Just to add in a serious reason to darkchibi07's humerous and fun reason, lack of English dub also means that this title will have very low sales compared to other anime titles, even other niche titles. Although the sub lovers are out there, a fair portion stick only to fansubs and of those who legally purchase anime DVDs, a minority will be buying this title. (Yuri isn't exactly the biggest anime fandom of all time.)

The pool of potential buyers is increased quite a bit by the presence of an English dub. While the reviewer shrugs it off a bit, it does mean lower sales numbers.

Oh and while the price point is low, to someone who prefers English dubs, like myself, the price tag means squat.

Maybe this is why no English dub might be a negative. Rolling Eyes

I might pick this series up someday, but if it happens it will be from a very cheap bargain bin, because my priority one titles are those with an English dub and I don't support the idea of monolingual releases regardless of which language is being used.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I was planning on buying this right away, but my finances this month, plus no dub, pushed it off. Sometimes I just like having tv shows on for noise. this includes anime. that works much better when there is a dub.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
WOAH when did Kashimashi get licensed?!? I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this here! I must have completely missed the license announcement....
Wargh, now I just have to wait for Madman to bring it to Australia already. Hurry up, Madman, please!
It was kind of a quiet announcement -- people were talking on the AoD forums about Media-Blasters having or not having the second season of Ah! My Goddess TV, and John Sirabella came in and said something like, "No, somebody else [later revealed to be ADV] got that season, and with the Voltron sales being so good, we don't need a big-name 'flagship' title, so we're going to be releasing things like Girl Meets Girl, Girl's High, and Noodle Fighter Miki."

I also wish that there was an English dub for this series, as I was looking forward to a different experience of it for re-watching purposes. But, I'm still getting it out of support for "girls loving girls." I still have lingering questions about the economics of it, though; they can't afford to dub shows like Kashimashi and High School Girls, yet they have enough to go out and license a series (Simoun) twice their length? Since I did see and like Kashimashi, I'm willing to accept sub-only DVDs (though some of the things I've heard about these subtitles bug me), but since I haven't seen Simoun, I'm waiting on the collection if it's sub-only. Granted, some M-B dubs are so bad *cough*GreenGreen*cough* that we're better off without them, but I've liked them for some series like Midori Days, Genshiken, and Figure 17. I guess those were released in better times.

Unfortunately this DVD hasn't arrived from DD yet, so I can't directly comment on Media-Blasters' work on it. For me, some of the best points were Hazumu's steps and miscues on the road to femininity, like the "put hand on back of skirt" stairway scene. And while things are fairly light now, the drama does become Serious Business later on. Maybe with more episodes, they could've spent more time on Hazumu's transition, as it becomes a secondary thing, even by the end of the first 5 episodes. The 5-episode count on this disc is reassuring, since it means that OVA 13th episode will be released. (Which was not the case with Green Green, thereby depriving DVD-buyers of a proper or at least better ending.)

The aliens didn't bother me too much, especially since Jan-puu's addressing of Hazumu is reminiscient of Mill from Maze: The Mega-Burst Space. The teacher, on the other hand, is annoying...I'd put her somewhere in the same class as the annoying teachers from DearS and Mahoromatic, though her antics aren't lewd or sexual.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

I might pick this series up someday, but if it happens it will be from a very cheap bargain bin, because my priority one titles are those with an English dub and I don't support the idea of monolingual releases regardless of which language is being used.

I must say I'm more than a little shocked by this Richard, considering our conversations about the worthiness and general enjoyment of this series. I had thought that you, Jedi General and I would have been the loudest to proclaim our glee at the favourable review and urging everyone to go out and purchase the dvds. I know you disapprove of 'monolingual' releases but I didn't think you would let that stop you from supporting one of your favourite shows.

Would you change your mind if I told you DeepDiscount.com has it for only $12? Smile (And, completely unrelated to this thread but still quite exciting, they also have the first volume of Saiunkoku Monogatari Special Edition with artbox for only $14! Go forth and pre-order forum dwellers! ;- )

Getting back to the topic, I am pleased as proverbial punch Kashimashi received a glowing review. I prefer the manga in many respects, but the anime is such a fun diversion, so charming and sweet and light as cotton candy for a weary soul. It's just a delight. I do wish it had delved a little deeper into some of the more 'serious' aspects of gender identification, but still, the fact that it was treated well at all is a welcome change. And of course the cast is wonderful. And I'm not just saying that because I have a mad crush on Fujiwara Keiji (who voices Sora Hitoshi the alien) I swear. *grins*
Shugotenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Tumalu wrote:
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Why? Because reading is so hard? Rolling Eyes It's the same show, whether the characters are speaking English or Japanese.

I wonder how many sub fans would be willing to buy dub-only DVDs. Some probably wouldn't mind, but I'm sure a lot would. And of course reading isn't that difficult, but I personally find that it distracts somewhat from the animation.

To be fair though, it's not just about reading the subtitles - I wouldn't buy the disc if it were dub-only either. Often times I enjoy watching the dub and the sub. If the R1 company doesn't care enough to include both on a given release, then I'll have nothing to do with it.

I totally agree with Tumalu on all those points. Especially the distraction factor for reading the subtitles. I feel like I'm missing a lot when multiple characters or talking and I don't have time or the urge to watch everything I rent or buy twice.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Hm... I would like to buy this... but I think I'll wait... and it has nothing to do with the lack of a dub... I normally don't watch them anyway...

What turns me off, is the lack of an artbox... if they do not release one with either vol. 2 or 3, then I'll be waiting for the complete collection in 16-18 months...
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I still have lingering questions about the economics of it, though; they can't afford to dub shows like Kashimashi and High School Girls, yet they have enough to go out and license a series (Simoun) twice their length?

They're not dubbing Girl's High?! Now, I don't watch English dubs at all (just a personal preference) but it seems a show like that simply demands a dub, particularly a fun, good one. I mean, Kashimashi I can understand since yuri is still not as well known yet, and BL titles tend to be sub-only as well (don't they? I apologize if I'm misinformed), but a flat out slapstick comedy like GH really could appeal to a lot more people than just a niche. I mean, I didn't like it all that well, but I can definitely see potential, particularly with a well-done dub. That's just a shame.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:02 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
I must say I'm more than a little shocked by this Richard, considering our conversations about the worthiness and general enjoyment of this series. I had thought that you, Jedi General and I would have been the loudest to proclaim our glee at the favourable review and urging everyone to go out and purchase the dvds. I know you disapprove of 'monolingual' releases but I didn't think you would let that stop you from supporting one of your favourite shows.
It was a decision I came to after much thought and more than a little regret. I'm certainly glad it received a great review, as it IS a good series, but I do consider the dual language aspect to be a key selling point. The lack of an artbox and the availablity of the manga also impacted my decision.

Basically, I'd rather put my money toward other series that are being released the way I think they should be. Media Blasters does not seem to want to produce an English dub for hardly any of it's recent releases and that, frankly, bothers me intensely. I don't want to support that policy.

Simoun may end up being a different story as I found it to be even more enjoyable than Kashimashi. I'm just glad Funimation got Hell Girl as I was close to seeking out the R2's. Shocked Mamiko Noto's voice seems to affect me in ways that other Japanese voices don't. (No not in a perverted way, get your mind out of the gutter! Wink )

Neverwhere wrote:
Would you change your mind if I told you DeepDiscount.com has it for only $12? Smile (And, completely unrelated to this thread but still quite exciting, they also have the first volume of Saiunkoku Monogatari Special Edition with artbox for only $14! Go forth and pre-order forum dwellers! ;- )
No, I've reached my decision after weighing the intrinsic variables of the release. The price is a small factor in my calculations. If an artbox suddenly turns up, I'll have to reconsider since I'm an artbox addict (card carrying member).

As it currently stands, the lack of English dub, lack of art box, and availability of the manga make purchasing this release a very low priority. (Probably wait for a boxset collection. Truthfully, the lack of artbox might have lead to that anyway. I might have posted roughly the same thing as teh*darkness if there were an English dub. I'm hard to please.)

Saiunkoku Monogatari sounds very interesting. I'm seriously considering it, though Geneon's recent use of Odex dubs does much disturb me. (I may yet pick up Karin though since I love vampires.) Basically, I'd like to know a little more about how Geneon's handling it before I go for it. Though they've already got my attention since it sounds interesting and there's an artbox.

Neverwhere wrote:
And of course the cast is wonderful. And I'm not just saying that because I have a mad crush on Fujiwara Keiji (who voices Sora Hitoshi the alien) I swear. *grins*
Liar. Wink
pixiebell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But, I'm still getting it out of support for "girls loving girls."

I am with you on this one. I can't wait to see this anime and even though I like the option of having both a dub and a sub so I can pick the one I like best, I don't think that this being a sub only dvd will bother me that much.

Thanks for the tip Neverwhere! I always seem to forget to check DeepDiscount.com.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
I cant believe people would not buy it just because it lacks a dub, even though it costs less. Rolling Eyes
On another note, do people really hate the teacher so much? o.o I...personally really love her! I literally nearly punched the air in joy due to the fact that for once I actually found a teacher character's antics humorous rather than nymphomaniac/pedophilic/worst character ever-ific.
And I love the aliens too...they may seem a little silly but the humorous diversion of them I feel is necessary once in a while to take a break from all the drama.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
Well, the lack of a dub took this title from "must buy" to my Netflix rental queue. I am not opposed to buying sub-only releases, but I do prefer bilingual. I have enjoyed the manga so far, and was looking forward to it until I heard it would be sub only. Honestly, any growth in anime fandom is primarily coming from the dub side of things with TV exposure on CN, Spike, Sci-Fi, etc. (which is how I discovered it). It seems foolish to write off a large and growing segment, and using cheaper outsourced dubs (aka Geneon using Singapore's Odex) is almost as bad. This is why I am renting Karin (Volume 1 dub was dissapointing to say the least) instead of purchasing a title whose manga run (as "Chibi Vampire" by Tokyopop) I have enjoyed so much.

I guess I should consider myself lucky, as I am getting in my mailbox today from Netflix this disc, Suzuka Vol. 1, and Rozen Maiden Vol. 1! Seems they are improving how quickly anime titles are available, as all of these were just released (at least I hope so! In the past I have sometimes had to wait over a month before a release bacame available for rental)!
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

On another note, do people really hate the teacher so much? o.o I...personally really love her! I literally nearly punched the air in joy due to the fact that for once I actually found a teacher character's antics humorous rather than nymphomaniac/pedophilic/worst character ever-ific.
And I love the aliens too...they may seem a little silly but the humorous diversion of them I feel is necessary once in a while to take a break from all the drama.

Like you, I like the teacher and the aliens, they add humor and don't interfere with the story. I think the artwork in this show is well done, and the characters are all well done.

As for the lack of a dub, oh well... dubs are a waste to me, I rarely ever watch them. An artbox would be nice though, but I am not going to complain at least I get to see it!
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I've never watched a shoujo-ai anime before, but this one looks interesting enough to try out. However, is it overly fanservicey? I'm not really into fanservice much (at least, not fanservice with girls Wink ). If there's lots of skin and panty shots, I'll give it a pass. I'm more interested in a good story.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I've never watched a shoujo-ai anime before, but this one looks interesting enough to try out. However, is it overly fanservicey?

I normally avoid anything with blatant fanservice like the plague, but I didn't mind it at all in this series. It's not over-the-top, and sometimes is actually quite amusing. It helps that there's some ridiculous fanservice for me, a straight female, in the form of Sora-sensei's propensity for nudity. Heehee. Mr. Green
But really, Hazumu's 'ohnoes I'm female now and I have boobs!' flailings are actually quite sweet, instead of insulting and vulgar. Which is a very pleasant change. Smile

I think seinen series just handle shounen cliches in a far more interesting way. Thank god. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4