• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bokurano Helmer Changes Story Due to Dislike of Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I liked Cat Returns, but the Morita's obviously too soft for Bokurano. Just get that Gantz guy to direct in his place.

Of course, instead of getting this guy who is treating the concept with respect and subtlety, they should have gotten the director of a terrible piece of exploitation trash.

Oh damn, this piece of awesome conversation made my week.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
os-osiris wrote:
I'd just like to say that so far I'm greatly enjoying the anime and fully support the director's choice to deviate from the manga. From what was said it definitely doesn't sound like they'll be bringing anyone back to life, so I really don't see what the big deal everyone is having with preventing a few characters from dying.

I'm starting to believe that it's more about the fans wanting to feel like they're in control and their word is final because they know best than the anime being good or not.

Once you give people a taste - like Gainax did with Gurren-Lagann - they'll go nuts and figure that they can boss everyone around. It's obnoxious.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
os-osiris wrote:
I'd just like to say that so far I'm greatly enjoying the anime and fully support the director's choice to deviate from the manga. From what was said it definitely doesn't sound like they'll be bringing anyone back to life, so I really don't see what the big deal everyone is having with preventing a few characters from dying.

I'm starting to believe that it's more about the fans wanting to feel like they're in control and their word is final because they know best than the anime being good or not.

Once you give people a taste - like Gainax did with Gurren-Lagann - they'll go nuts and figure that they can boss everyone around. It's obnoxious.

But... when you think about it... they still need money to come out with a show; if they lose viewer support, it's still pretty bad and will hinder any creativity that you might be able to come up with...

In the end, I think it's really a juggling game between being creative... and pleasing people...

Yeah, that's kinda cynnical... but what are you gonna do?

It's pretty hard having to put up with everything, I imagine.

That said, I'll wish this guy good luck; haven't been watching the show, but if he gets castrated by most of the fans (which, I'm assuming, makes up a decent fraction of the audience), he'll definately have a hard road ahead of him...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I love what the current director is doing also. He has elevated it beyond "kill the pilot of the week" scenario and the order is different so the manga folks are guessing some. The pilots are dying so far. Most of the controversial stuff has been kept in except what I mentioned before for obvious reasons which really hasn't hurt the pilot's story any. It may have helped the recent pilot spoiler[Maki] which has sparked the current drama.

Besides, it's extremely likely from the manga that spoiler[at least 1-2 of those potential pilots are going to live anyway]. So more than 1 survival in the anime is not going to hurt the title imo. It kind of keeps you guessing as to who the lucky one is imo. Smile

It's the anime version of Russian roulette imo.

Personally, I think that this drama is not worth it when you examine the anime rationally.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

In my opinion, the last straw was not reactions from those so-called fans but because they attacked Toei's Yes! Precure intentionally. That was very un-athletic way of competition (not to mention that Toei is much larger and influential than Gainax), and if I were the producer of Yes! Precure I'd pressure Gainax (not in public, of course) to "show some sincerity" i.e. a resignation.

DKL wrote:
That said, I'll wish this guy good luck; haven't been watching the show, but if he gets castrated by most of the fans (which, I'm assuming, makes up a decent fraction of the audience), he'll definately have a hard road ahead of him...

Which led me wonder why he accepted the job if he strongly dislikes the manga. I don't ask him to love it, but methinks a director of an adapted should at least not dislike the original.

hikaru004 wrote:
Besides, it's extremely likely from the manga that spoiler[at least 1-2 of those potential pilots are going to live anyway].

That's exactly what the manga has hinted at the end of Chapter 19 (Volume 4).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
He's done a great job so far either way. I don't think that liking the source is going to improve his performance any from what I've seen. Smile

Precure stomped that Gurren-Lagann into the ground. Laughing But, it's Gainax's fault for not appealing to the demographics of the scheduled timeslot imo. Wink
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

DKL wrote:

Which led me wonder why he accepted the job if he strongly dislikes the manga. I don't ask him to love it, but methinks a director of an adapted should at least not dislike the original.

Well, maybe he found the subject matter or the concept interesting?

Or somebody, like a friend or something that was a producer or whatever, asked or suggested him since they thought that he would be the best choice.

Who knows?

... I certainly don't...
Senna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm very interested to see what course Morita will take on Bokurano. At first I was annoyed by the changes already made to the anime from the manga, but whenever an anime sticks close to the manga only to diverge at the very end because the manga's still going (as Bokurano is), I generally hate it because it doesn't fit or feels unfinished. Some different material from early on may make the rest of the story flow more smoothly into whatever end has been determined, and new material does after all keep the show interesting to those already familiar with the source material. I'll be disappointed if Komo's arc is changed since it was my favorite, but hey, the manga's not going away, so it's not like I don't have that story anymore. There will just be a different one in addition.

As for those annoyed because some of the characters may not die, well ... besides the previous spoilers that spoiler[Kana isn't part of the contract as well as one other], according to chapter 43 (which is the latest chapter if I don't miss my guess) spoiler[Jun Ushiro is not a part of the contract and therefore will not die (at least, not of piloting Zearth).] Of course, this may not mean much considering the themes of the story, but still. Whatever Kitoh does with the ending of the manga and whatever Morita does with the anime, I think there'll be two interesting stories to look forward to rather than one, which isn't a bad prospect at all.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh joy, I click "Submit" and suddenly the website is asking for my username and password. Rolling Eyes Bye bye post. Rolling Eyes

I don't expect or want directors to pander to fans, but that doesn't mean they can't be criticized for their decisions, especially considering some of the other things he said like the fact that he dislikes the source material.

Having not read the original manga myself (yet), I have nothing to compare the show to and I'm actually curious to see if he'll do alright. I'm just wary because I have little faith in Gonzo's ability to adapt manga series that haven't finish yet. The director's dislike of the manga and my interpretation of his 'save the children' comments didn't exactly instill confidence in me. However, I'm going to go ahead and watch the rest of the series (which I had initially dropped before this ever came up) and see if it turns out okay.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quote
Eh...Story wise, I'm of the opinion of "If they don't screw off majourly then it's good" for example: Genshiken did a few things in a diffrent order (also toned down a few things too if memory serves) and Keroro Gunsou had a few alterations as they introduced Dororo earlyer than in the manga.

Gonzo, however, have a habbit of going a bit too far in that regard unless they have another studio (Aic for example) to keep them in check (Seto No Hanayome and Solty Rei come to mind for example).

hikaru004 wrote:
Precure stomped that Gurren-Lagann into the ground. Laughing But, it's Gainax's fault for not appealing to the demographics of the scheduled timeslot imo. Wink
I'm going to assume that's sarcasum for both our sakes.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

If I remember correctly, Yes! Precure is much more popular than Gurren-Lagann in Japan. The former's target audience are young girls and their parents. They don't write blogs or post on fora, but as a whole they do possess significant buying power, more so than fans of an otaku-ish super robot show that doesn't have many cute girls in it.

Do you think high school / college-aged fans of Gurren-Lagann would buy its stationery and use them daily? Precure (all versions) fans definitely would do so for their favorite show, and when they do, they don't get laughed at.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote

And this is why Toei is alowed to get away with a whole load of stupid stuff.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote
I didn't have time to read the other posts, so I'll just add my two cents.

While I disapprove of any adaptation (anime or otherwise) deviating (too much) from the source material (manga or otherwise), I understand where this Morita character is coming from. I would imagine that frequent deaths of elementary school-age characters wouldn't even sit well with Japanese readers, much less American (I'll say it: it doesn't sit well with me, either). So in this case, changing the story so that they would be saved isn't all that bad. To me, it seems that the ones who disapprove of what the anime is doing must be fans of the "kill 'em all" variety of stories in manga and anime, no matter how old the victims are (you know who you all are)...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:23 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

hikaru004 wrote:

Nope. Precure has stomped on G-L every week that it aired. Hence, the antagonism displayed by Gainax. They didn't appeal to the target audience and was doing mature and otaku stuff, despite the Konami attempt to appeal to the target audience thru the online gaming and card game.

From the website that I can't link to because of content, here are the ratings for the Kantou region 6/4-6/10

Quote:
15.6% 06/10 (Sun) *6:30pm-*7:00pm Fuji TV Sazae-san
11.9% 06/10 (Sun) *6:00pm-*6:30pm Fuji TV Chibi Maruko-chan
10.7% 06/08 (Fri) *7:30pm-*7:54pm TV Asahi Crayon Shin-chan
*9.9% 06/10 (Sun) *9:30am-10:00am Fuji TV One Piece
*9.8% 06/10 (Sun) *9:00am-*9:30am Fuji TV Gegege no Kitarou
*9.2% 06/08 (Fri) *7:00pm-*7:30pm TV Asahi Doraemon
*8.6% 06/04 (Mon) *7:30pm-*8:00pm NTV Meitantei Conan
*7.7% 06/10 (Sun) *8:30am-*9:00am TV Asahi Yes! Pretty Cure 5
*6.8% 06/04 (Mon) *7:00pm-*7:30pm NTV Kekkaishi
*5.9% 06/07 (Thu) *7:00pm-*7:30pm TV Pocket Monsters Diamond Pearl [Pokemon Diamond & Pearl]
-----------------------------
*5.2% 06/07 (Thu) *7:30pm-*7:57pm TV Tokyo NARUTO Shippuuden
*4.9% 06/09 (Sat) *6:00pm-*6:30pm NHK-ETV Anime Major
*4.9% 06/08 (Fri) 12:45am-*1:15am Fuji TV Nodame Cantabile
*4.8% 06/06 (Wed) *7:26pm-*7:55pm TV Tokyo BLEACH
*3.8% 06/10 (Sun) 10:00am-10:30am TV Tokyo Hayate no Gotoku! [Hayate the Combat Butler]
*3.3% 06/06 (Wed) *7:00pm-*7:26pm TV Tokyo Eyeshield 21
*3.2% 06/05 (Tue) *5:30pm-*5:40pm NHK-ETV Zenmaizamurai
*2.9% 06/06 (Wed) 12:56am-*1:26am NTV DEATH NOTE
*2.8% 06/08 (Fri) *4:30pm-*5:00pm NTV Soreike! Anpanman
*2.6% 06/10 (Sun) *9:30am-10:00am TV Tokyo Anime Robby
*2.6% 06/09 (Sat) *6:00pm-*6:30pm TBS Terra e [To Terra; Toward the Terra]
*2.2% 06/08 (Fri) *6:00pm-*6:30pm TV Tokyo Kirarin Revolution
*2.0% 06/05 (Tue) *6:00pm-*6:30pm TV Tokyo D.Gray-man
*2.0% 06/10 (Sun) *1:45am-*2:15am Fuji TV DO! Shin'ya "Skull Man"
*1.9% 06/10 (Sun) *8:30am-*9:00am TV Tokyo Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
*1.9% 06/06 (Wed) *1:26am-*1:55am NTV Claymore

*bolded by me* Smile
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
They didn't appeal to the target audience and was doing mature and otaku stuff, despite the Konami attempt to appeal to the target audience thru the online gaming and card game.

More like anti-otaku stuff. That audience would probably rather watch generic magical girls than an artistically-inspired mecha pastiche, it seems. And while it would appeal more to kids than, say, Eureka seveN did in its timeslot, it still obviously doesn't work quite as well on Sunday mornings. So it's losing grounds on both fronts, really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4