• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CPM's Astra Inspires "Super Heroine Manga Musical"

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Don't these people know how dumb of an idea this is?! Look how horrible the "Bleach" and "The Prince of Tennis" musicals are!
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
yeah, I think I'll have to agree with you on that one. I do question the wisdom of this idea...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Jerry Robinson is 85 years old. Anyone willing to take on a project like that at his age has my respect.

Besides, just because two other musicals produced by entirely different people were bad does not automatically mean this one will be.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Look how horrible the "Bleach" and "The Prince of Tennis" musicals are!

And look how popular they are! :3 They seem to bring quite a lot of money. Of course, no-one likes these musicals for their story, the staging or the music for that matter. People like them because of the prettyboy actors and their antics on- and off-stage.
scortia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
While I like most anime musicals (Hunter x Hunter's are THE BEST)... well, except Tenimyu... no idea how those are so popular, this looks just bad. They could have at least gotten a decent artist for their promo art. X_x
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm convinced that people will try to make musicals out of everything nowadays. I mean, seriously. Have you ever read about The Muscle Musical? If you watched the Tonys long enough, you'd have noticed there's now one for Legally Blonde.

And I thought FOX had unoriginal entertainment.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, someone needs to tell them no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Huh. This is.. weird. Normally I'd bitch about this being called manga, but I think it's debatable. I think with this case, as it's published in both the US and Japan, by both US and Japanese creators... it's... both. It's both a comic book and manga.

I picked up the book from CPM on sale at a con. It's larger format like a comic book trade. I forget if it was in color. Still haven't gotten around to reading it, like so many other manga, comic trades, and graphic novels I pick up, especially at cons.

Of course Jerry Robinson is a legend in the US industry, especially since I'm a Batman fan. Good to see him still taking on projects at his age. Though here's hoping he doesn't go crazy with pitching ideas like Stan Lee. Sigh. Some of his stuff lately. Sigh.

Of course the really odd thing is that they're making a musical about a super heroine comic / manga. That is quite... unique.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
There's a musical for everything nowadays.
Heck, the Japanese are way ahead in this.
If they can have their Seira Myu musicals way back then,
a manga musical here is just the start! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1