• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Acquires Makoto Shinkai's 5cm Per Second

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proz512

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
While I'm happy about the license and will be picking up the DVD, I hope it is much better than The Place Promised In Our Early Days. Voices Of A Distant Star along with She And Her Cat I like to show to friends who are interested in Anime but Place Promised was a disappointment to me. Voices has a place in my heart but after the bad taste Place Promised gave me, I'll give Shinkai one more chance.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Maybe they've got something even bigger planned for AX?

This news is great, no questioning that. I loved The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star made me cry, which isn't too easy. Both were fantastic and personally I though ADV did a great job with them. I wish the'd done something more than a paper cover sleeve for that dual release but, hey, at least they actually released them English dubbed and packed with extras!

I'm eagerly anticipating getting Shinkai's latests since I've heard good things about it and so far, I've liked everything I've seen of his.
I also wondered "Why not wait for AX?" But it's quite possible they have bigger announcements planned. My guess is, following their electrifying announcement of the undeniably A+ Xenosaga, they're going to proceed with more top-shelf titles like Amaenaideyo, Yoake mae yori ruriiro na ~Crescent Love~, Ichigo 100%, and Futakoi.

But good news on 5cm/s. I knew ADV would pull through on this someday. I did like Distant Star and Place promised. Surprisingly enough, they didn't make me cry, which is relatively easy to do. I never picked up any of the fansubs for it (aside from trailers) because they were LQ and I was waiting for a certain group to release it. But oh well, I've waited this long, I can wait until the end of this year.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm really looking forward to this! I loved Shinkai's Places Promised Us, so I think this will be just as great!
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
ooo, be great if this gets into theatres. Saw Paprika in theatre last weekend and loved the experience, definitely would love to do it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Proz512 wrote:
While I'm happy about the license and will be picking up the DVD, I hope it is much better than The Place Promised In Our Early Days. Voices Of A Distant Star along with She And Her Cat I like to show to friends who are interested in Anime but Place Promised was a disappointment to me. Voices has a place in my heart but after the bad taste Place Promised gave me, I'll give Shinkai one more chance.

5cm is more like Voices than Place Promised, so it looks good for you. It's important to keep in mind though that 5cm is a series of short stories, not one long story like Voices.

Each story focuses on the "distance" between two people in a relationship. In each story, the distance between the two characters causes a very different outcome.

I saw 5cm in a theater in Tokyo, and since it was in Japanese I didn't fully catch all the nuances of the show (in fact, I completely misunderstood some parts).

-t
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
they're going to proceed with more top-shelf titles like Amaenaideyo
Okay, that one must have seriously improved after the few episodes I watched. Or maybe I was just in the absolutely worst possible mood to watch a series like it when I tried it out. While it was certainly nice to look at and fanservicy, it didn't grab me at all. Confused

Although ff ADV licenses it and puts Hilary Haag into it somewhere, that alone would convince me to try it again.

Speaking of Ms. Haag, I wonder if she'll have a place in 5cm Per Second. I haven't seen it myself, so I don't know if there are any characters in it she'd be perfect for.
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
This is great news... Though I really hope that ADV doesn't use their usual cast of actors for this one, I'm sort of tired of hearing their voices in every single dub they do...

But still, this is awesome. 2007 has been a great year for us fans so far.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But good news on 5cm/s. I knew ADV would pull through on this someday. I did like Distant Star and Place promised. Surprisingly enough, they didn't make me cry, which is relatively easy to do. I never picked up any of the fansubs for it (aside from trailers) because they were LQ and I was waiting for a certain group to release it. But oh well, I've waited this long, I can wait until the end of this year.

For me, just about any anime that makes me blubber is headed straight to my collection.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Well well I haven't seen 5cm Per Second but waiting to see if Shinkai can give me the storytelling of Voices along with the music of Place promised. As for ADV licensing this I can't say I am surprised, I figured ADV would probably pick this up although the timing does kind of surprise me. But then again it really gives ADV a big swing heading into AX, it will be interesting to hear what kind of shows they have store there.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
selenta wrote:
I'm also with you on the Pale Cocoon. That was an amazing OVA as well imo. It did suffer a little at the end... but overall I was truly impressed. Maybe I'll go watch that again right now Smile

Actually I found the ending to be very fitting, bringing everything together and clearing up a lot of questions in a similar way that Paranoia Agent did. But I can see how some might not take to it. (I really should re-watch it and start a thread on it, though.)

I thought the ending was the best part of Pale Cocoon, personally. My feeling while watching it up to that point was kind of neutral, edging towards cold. But that nice little reveal at the end brought together all the odds and ends of the story quite nicely for a nice payoff.

I can't say that short film is a favorite, though. It didn't really affect me the way other one-man shows like Voices, Midori, Glassy Ocean and all of Koji Yamamura's work blew me away--maybe because it felt so much like a studio piece and I didn't really jive with the story until the very end. It's a nice piece of work, though, and deserves some stateside attention.

HellKorn wrote:
Which begs the question: is ADV going to release this in theaters in Japanese with English subtitles or with an English dub? I'd suspect the former if they're aiming for a limited audience, but if they try for any kind of mainstream push then it might be an English dub.

When I attended a 35mm screening of Place Promised, it was ADV's 35mm print--Japanese with English subtitles. I *think* I remember Marc Hairston saying it was their only film print, but I could be wrong about that. I'm all about releasing foreign films theatrically in their original language, whether animated or not, so I'd be pleased if ADV went the subtitle route again for 5cm. I think the recent success of Paprika proves that subtitles won't keep a potential audience away from the theater.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I also wondered "Why not wait for AX?" But it's quite possible they have bigger announcements planned. My guess is, following their electrifying announcement of the undeniably A+ Xenosaga, they're going to proceed with more top-shelf titles like Amaenaideyo, Yoake mae yori ruriiro na ~Crescent Love~, Ichigo 100%, and Futakoi.

Dude, I'm lovin the oh so cynical Zalis. That's totally cracked me up, I can't believe how others took your comments so literally. Unfortunately, I am still convinced someone else already picked up Ichigo 100%.
Yagami817

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is awsome Very Happy When I watched episode 1 of this series/movie, I instantly loved this anime, and in my opinion, it seems much better than all of Shinkai's other works. I thought that Beyond The Clouds was a bit boring, but I think the ending to it was worth watching, even through the boring middle half of the movie. I saw some mention of Pale Cocoon, which I thought was awsome, but did Shinkai make that OVA? I'm not sure.

But I really can't wait to see 5 cm in the theater, I just hope it's in one of the local theaters in my area and not some convention or special theater.

Luckily, I think this anime is already emotionally powerful, and it will probably make me cry even more than Rumbling Hearts did Anime cry I will definitly be buying the DVD to this one Mr. Green
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
omfg ! Hell yeah !
best news in a long time ( last best news was Air . )
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Yagami817 wrote:
I saw some mention of Pale Cocoon, which I thought was awsome, but did Shinkai make that OVA? I'm not sure.

No. Pale Cocoon was made by a guy named Yasuhiro Yoshiura. People draw comparisons to Shinkai because Pale Cocoon is an independent work primarily conceived and carried out by an individual auteur, like Voices. It's also similar in tone to Shinkai works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
B.K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad someone finally licensed it. I saw the first part of it and liked it, but I never saw any fansubs of the last two episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3