• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-06-22]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Look at this thread, how much of it is devolved into basically calling Christians morons and/or extremist wackos who want to lock up or kill everyone else.

Er, no, it really hasn't. A few people made some really offensive posts at various points but I think there were less than 5 posts like that in the entire thread. The religion discussion was remarkably civil.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
Look at this thread, how much of it is devolved into basically calling Christians morons and/or extremist wackos who want to lock up or kill everyone else.

Er, no, it really hasn't. A few people made some really offensive posts at various points but I think there were less than 5 posts like that in the entire thread. The religion discussion was remarkably civil.

Well, as civil as any discussion on religion can be anyway. That's, I think, the quickest way to get lines drawn in the sand on any given topic, play the religion card. Slightly below that is politics. Lord have mercy if you mix the two in a debate. If I wanna see that I'll just watch the garbage the presidential candidates are throwing out.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I unreservedly apologise to Zac and anyone else who was even remotely upset by my lame attempt to be funny about rabbits. I'll put it down to our different ages and culture. British humour can be very crass at times I know.

I love British humour! I remember like ten years ago watching Mr. Bean. heheheh I wasn't offended by the rabbit jokes and I love bunnies.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I can understand what you're saying about people expecting more from him because of his position here. However, I see a difference between him posting on a subject as Zac the admin/mod/editor/whatever other role and Zac as the individual. I can understand, and expect myself, a certain level of knowledge from him regarding his posts on anime. He once told me "I don't go to a mechanic's shop and tell him how to work on a car." Well ANN, as it pertains to the anime industry, is his shop. So when he posts on a specific title, news article, or something else dealing with a specific anime source I expect him to be more knowledgeable then most. That's his job. When it's something else, like the Answerman column which he said himself is not real journalism but more or less just for fun, and he's posting as a normal person like the rest of us I don't think it's fair to apply that same standard and expect him to write some Pulitzer prize post. I think one big problem is people expect him to always be Zac the editor and don't let him be Zac the casual poster with an opinion other then the official one by ANN. You gotta remember, most of the time he has to be all nice and politically correct for the sake of ANN. He can't just say what he may be thinking whenever he wants. So, when he gets a chance here his views can be more extreme at times. Granted this is mostly just my own personal deductions so don't assume I'm right.

Yeah, Its kinda unfortunate. Once youre in a position of power people hold you to that standard all the time. One think also to consider is that maybe regardless of wether he's posting as a casual poster or as an official editor/mod people still expect more out of him. I may dissagree with him sometimes but I still have alot of respect for Zac and his oppinions. Becuase of that, i tend to expect more from him no matter what capacity he's posting in. Not so much more politically correctness of even less extreme oppinions but just a higher level of intelegence and coherence that the average poster. I think thats part of the reason why I tend to jump on some of the things zac says. Where as with other people i might just shrug it off as another idiot who doesnt know what he's talking about on the internet.

also Albundi: It hardly seems fair to lump Psyco in with others. So far he's been nothing but calm and civilized in his posts.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

also Albundi: It hardly seems fair to lump Psyco in with others. So far he's been nothing but calm and civilized in his posts.

I just had to quote this part. Your misspelling of his name is awesome. Albundi= Al Bundy. So awesome lol. Now I got this urge to watch Married with Children.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Where as with other people i might just shrug it off as another idiot who doesnt know what he's talking about on the internet.

So you're telling me that I come across as "just another idiot on the internet who doesn't know what he's talking about"?

Nice.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I just had to quote this part. Your misspelling of his name is awesome. Albundi= Al Bundy. So awesome lol. Now I got this urge to watch Married with Children.

lol, I was watching that just the other day. maybe thats why? Nah, realistically, my spelling is terrible at the best of times. sorry abunia
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Yeah, Its kinda unfortunate. Once youre in a position of power people hold you to that standard all the time. One think also to consider is that maybe regardless of wether he's posting as a casual poster or as an official editor/mod people still expect more out of him. I may dissagree with him sometimes but I still have alot of respect for Zac and his oppinions. Becuase of that, i tend to expect more from him no matter what capacity he's posting in. Not so much more politically correctness of even less extreme oppinions but just a higher level of intelegence and coherence that the average poster. I think thats part of the reason why I tend to jump on some of the things zac says. Where as with other people i might just shrug it off as another idiot who doesnt know what he's talking about on the internet.

Oh I'm sure people do expect more out of him. His authority and position is a double edged sword as I see it. He has more say in issues here and what goes on during a day to day basis. He can change things he feels need to be changed. He can basically help shape the site as he sees fit. The problem is, once people associate him with that kind of authority they constantly expect it. He can't kick his shoes off so to speak and just post on an issue he likes or has a personal interest in. Not without extra scrutiny at least. One big thing to remember, that a lot of people seem to over look, is just because he's more informed on the subject of anime, as it is his job to be, that doesn't mean he's always right. Despite popular belief he is actually human and is wrong at times, as we all are. However, those times he may be wrong, or overreact, are held against him with unmatched scrutiny here. If he miss quotes one person, says one thing wrong, or simply makes a simple error it's held against him as if he went and kidnapped a child right from it's crib. I think people should be treated fairly and a lot of the time Zac isn't, and probably more then anyone else here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
Zac:

Okay now you're starting to pis me off a again. Its obvious I've made you mad and got on your bad side. Clearly that is NOT what I'm saying. You're twisting my words inorder to take offense at what I'm saying. You chop off that one part of my post, ignoring the rest of it in which I say that I have alot of respect for your oppinions, and that you are usually very intelegent and well informed, and it is unfair that others and I jump on you whenever you are anything less than perfect.

I do still think in your posts in this topic you have overreacted and been a bit immature. I've said that all along and stand by that. Am I calling you an idiot though and saying you don't know what your talking about? Definitely not. I'm not even saying in this particular case that you are being this way. I am speaking in blanket terms here saying that generally when someone says something I think is stupid I'm often just going to just pass it off and assume that the guy who said it is just some idiot. However when you say something that I find to be a little stupid Im not going to just pass it off like that becasue I know you are NOT an idiot.

I'm done posting in this topic. Especially if you're going to just take anything I say and twist it into something as negative as possible. I'm not looking to start any fights here. However I still hold to my oppinions. Wether you agree or not I honestly hope you will not continue to hold a grudge against me. I certainly wont hold an grudge against you even if I think you were being kinda immature here. Either way though, I'm done with this topic.

BTW, Psycho: Just to be clear I'm not really trying to justify what happens. I'm just trying to explain why I think it happens.
MissAsako

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
About the anime club thing, and the weird people there-

I am pretty much in the same situation.
My friend and I go to this anime club, which used to be a ton of fun. We had a leader who had moved from Japan, so she knew some Japanese, and was familiar with many shows. Yeah well she got transferred to a new library, and is moving to Pittsburg soon.
It was so weird, because after she left, everything started getting weird. People that had been coming for over a year now just stopped showing up. This new lady was our leader, and she was kind of new to anime, so she had only seen a couple of basic shows and blah blah.
Then these weird kids started coming. It wasn't the good group of us anymore, it was just WEIRD people.
Like this one guy- he's uh, uh, how do I explain this, BIZAREE? He's a year older than me (15) and my 11 year old sister acts more mature than him! He devours Love Hina for it's partial nudity, draws hentai looking stuff, smells kind of weird sometimes, has the most OBXIOUS LAUGH I HAVE EVER HEARD (it's so loud it could break windows), talks super loud, says really rude things without even thinking (like I'm a huge Audrey Hepburn fan, and I checked out a couple of her movies last night at the library, and he was like, "Why do you like that kind of crap?" I mean, I have OTHER intrests than anime!), makes strange noises, acts like a total pervert to my one friend, and so on. Basically, I cannot STAND HIM! Everyone else has agreed with me, and I was talking to some old friends that used to come, and one of them said she stopped coming cause of him.
This guy is really ruining our club. He is like an over the top otaku.
gkdafhgjakdlfhgadjkfhgkajdfhgdjfg
But yeah, to the girl who wrote that letter to Awnserman, I defiantly feel her pain, and how hard some of these people are to cope with.
:/
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
MissAsako wrote:
He devours Love Hina for it's partial nudity, draws hentai looking stuff, smells kind of weird sometimes, has the most OBXIOUS LAUGH I HAVE EVER HEARD (it's so loud it could break windows), talks super loud, says really rude things without even thinking (like I'm a huge Audrey Hepburn fan, and I checked out a couple of her movies last night at the library, and he was like, "Why do you like that kind of crap?" I mean, I have OTHER intrests than anime!), makes strange noises, acts like a total pervert to my one friend, and so on.

Wow. Obnoxious. I've known a couple people like that before, one of them whom I still live with (my sister). It's not that she's outright about it, she just comes up with anime stuff (especially Gundam related) out of the blue, and it's sometimes a nightmare sitting next to her in Japanese class when she randomly blurts out something about one of her favorite shows. I've asked her to stop, but I guess she doesn't think there's anything wrong with it.

It's one thing to be proud of your fandom, it's another to be obsessed beyond all reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 20 of 20