• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Omnibus In Absentia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
If you're talking about podcasts and audiobooks, you need to talk about podiobooks. They're essentially audiobooks done in podcast form. And there are a lot of them around. One of the reasons authors do them is to help sell the print books. Podiobooks also have the advantage of covering the entire book where audiobooks are typically a condensed form of the book.

But there's little advantage in doing an audiobook for sale unless the book itself is popular. If someone just wants to listen to any audio story they can turn to a podiobook.

And even then they're facing the problem that the music industry is facing. Print books have a certain built-in copyright protection. In order for someone to copy a print book they have to photocopy it page by page. And if one wants a print copy they have to print that out, often at a cost greater than the cost of the book. But an audiobook is as easily reproduced as any other audio file.

So there's not a great deal of financial advantage in trying to make money off of it. And even when audiobooks were relatively popular, I don't believe they really ever did as well as the print books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3