• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Licenses Tokyo Majin Anime for North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
The point is, there's no clear advantage from a consumer standpoint if they buy the rights then they have to wait 1+ year to release their version.
As for JP DVDs...the US version comes out afterwards due to fear of reverse import from the licensor companies (same reason Bandai Visual wants to make perfect copies of R2 DVDs), if you exclude the PR stunt that was NInja Scroll TV (and only the first DVD if I recall).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
The point is, there's no clear advantage from a consumer standpoint if they buy the rights then they have to wait 1+ year to release their version.

I'm still not seeing how this is an issue. The number of people in the U.S. that import Japanese DVDs is probably in the double digits. They are insignificant, and either wouldn't but the R1's anyway or won't care about the wait and will still buy the R1s. For the remaining 99.999% of the R1 market, the Japanese DVD release dates don't matter.

That aside, pre-licensing means we (usually) get the R1 DVDs sooner than if they licensed it later, so there is most definitely an advantage to us consumers.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
I personally see it as a disadvantage, but the discussion would be largely offtopic so I'll just stop there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2