• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Prince of Tennis DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
hell...while reading the review,i feel all the more agitated.I'm the type of person who loves contradicting everyone's answer. This topic is not an exemption. heck. i love that anime! as in L-O-V-E. reasons:
1. because the main dude (echizen) is awesome..I really like main characters who are strong already from the very start
2. the chibi episodes are so cute!
3. ryoma is indifferent, arrogant, and does not act his age. the perfect turn on! haha! just my favorite! a person worse than me! haha!
...i don't get you guys. why do you always have to review and compare? you can't please everybody,duh. it's up to the person what s/he'll like or not. anyways, it's really worth a try. trust me. look at it from a totally different view, not the criticizing judge sort of way, just a person who likes to have fun...I'm sure you'll like it.
madpierrot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote
I personally just think the review was pretty bad. Not like the reviewers scores or anything just the actual review. It read like a flaming post on a message board, not a review from a series website. I'm kinda disappointed that ANN would actually put up something like this that was more or less like someone who wanted to vent in a thread about a show they hated and had lots of space to do it.

On a side note I kinda liked how ryoma was a jerk. Not often you see the lead hero who is actually just a jerk. Nice change of pace. Also even though he's a tennis master it's still an underdog story because he's a first year student. That makes it for a pretty big one.
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote
madpierrot wrote:
I personally just think the review was pretty bad. Not like the reviewers scores or anything just the actual review. It read like a flaming post on a message board, not a review from a series website. I'm kinda disappointed that ANN would actually put up something like this that was more or less like someone who wanted to vent in a thread about a show they hated and had lots of space to do it.

Ahahaha, I was trying to figure out what my exact problem with the review was, so thanks for doing it for me. Laughing It really was essentially a long flame post. I'm not saying that the person had to like the series, but the review doesn't have any ounce of objectivity (hell, I could write a similar spiel about, say, Love Hina or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but I wouldn't call it a review...reviews will always be somewhat subjective, but it's a balance of that subjectivity and objectivity that makes reviews credible). Hopefully this reviewer won't sway anyone who was thinking of checking out the show.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
kuni_kuni wrote:
I'm not saying that the person had to like the series, but the review doesn't have any ounce of objectivity

Reviews are all about what the reviewer thought about the show/movie/etc in question. Beyond basic summary information which can really be obtained anywhere, they're pretty much *designed* to be all opinion. The review was nowhere near a flame given it was still written in a coherent, professional matter comparable to other reviews ANN has done - this just happened to be more negative than average.

That said, I find it odd that I'm decently enjoying PoT when I'm not a fan of either shounen shows or of sports shows. While I find both genres incredibly formulaic, typical shoujo shows I watch are all formulaic themselves, so I don't think it's that. I think that by reaching the point I'm at, it's the characters that have grown on me. There aren't many opportunities to see the characters outside of tennis, but that's not really the point of a show like this - the characters are defined by their tennis, and while I can understand one's gripe with that, it's not meant to have the kind of character depth of something like Touch where the sport apparently ends up secondary to the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
madpierrot wrote:

On a side note I kinda liked how ryoma was a jerk. Not often you see the lead hero who is actually just a jerk. Nice change of pace. Also even though he's a tennis master it's still an underdog story because he's a first year student. That makes it for a pretty big one.

I don't think the review's purpose was to bash PoT. Maybe the way it was worded could have made people upset. I would get upset if Naruto received negative reviews, but there episodes I will recognize that are less than expectation, such as the 80+ filler episoeds in a row.

Also, I'm getting the feeling that based on the thirteen episodes, people think that that he's grading the whole series. He can only review the thirteen episodes, and based on what he saw, things like no character development, no story outside of tennis, and no love relationship between Echizen and Sakuno: it's not something he can avoid as a minor flaw.

BTW, I know I said I'll stop talking/bashing the characters but I just dislike characters that gain attention by being jerks and gets away with it by winning the match (ie. Paris Hilton and Linsay Lohan). OR maybe I've been too hard on Echizen because his attiude and the way he acts remind me too much of my cousins when we play video games. They act that way against me a noob player, in their PS3 games.
Cave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
I don't think the review's purpose was to bash PoT.

No, it definitely was. I've seen worse series get better reviews than this.

Granted, the first 13 episodes /aren't/ anything that great and I prefer skipping them save for "The Hard Day" episode which is very funny. The quality though when compared with the rest of the series is definitely lacking.

The animation is definitely not the strong point of the series. Its obvious there wasn't much funds when they started this and I think its also done with cel animation (for which I couldn't blame them for using repeat animation for such complicated scenes). I find the first opening though to be really good and one of my favorites from the series. Look it how bad the openings to Bleach have gotten. "Here's the characters running around! And, ou! pretty filters~!" compared to Future where they decided to take a rather interesting and unique approach to still shots and using the logo as an element (much like the opening to Darker Than Black).

Not only that but Future and especially You Got Game are rocking songs that I still listen to years after I first heard them. :D (And saying that Kimeru isn't good is sacreligious among PoT fans).

Overall, I can agree with a lot the review said, but I think the way it was said was highly inappropriate and unprofessional. It also didn't sound like they thought the dub was that bad which is highly inaccurate - it is BEYOND bad. Fuji sounds like a drug dealer for pete's sake.

I'm also confused as to why the reviewer seemed so "amazed!" about Ryoma having a Japanese voice actress. Uhm, boys are voiced all the time by women. Like Naruto. Ryoma, Fuji, Dan, Yukimura, the twins from Jyousei Shounan, etc all have women actors.

I also want to point out that on the boxset its made clear that the DVDs are "uncut" yet they took out the original openings and endings and made them special features only. WTF. Viz needs to shape up.
Kimyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Too bad I just spent 100$ on a righstuf.com sale, or else I'd run out and buy the boxset right now! 'Course, if I bought all the anime I wish I had I might just drown in them. (Naruto, BoBoBo, YuGiOh, Hikaru no Go... )

I don't get why people always hate the dubs to anime, they're really not so bad. Every time I hear about something being licensed, my first thought is, "I wonder if Liam O'Brien will be in it?" <3<3<3
sarajr888

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
I totally 100% think that this review was meant to bash Prince of Tennis! I am a huge fan of Prince of Tennis and I loved the first episodes. The review (in my opinion) is totally wrong. Even though some people don't like it that doesn't mean that this show is HORRIBLE! Evil or Very Mad
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
^^ Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus, lol. Like Cave mentioned, I've seen worse series get better reviews than this. Only anime that is widely considered to be THE ABSOLUTE WORST (Tekken, Ninja Resurrection, etc...something that's popular doesn't exactly coincide with this) should be given below C grades, and as much as the reviewer would like to think that PoT is included in that category, it's most certainly not (actually, I looked back on those reviews, and even they were given higher grades than PoT. Shocked That much is laughable and further proves that this review was nothing more than a bashing session). Again, the first episodes are not that great, but the way the review is written makes it seem like it's reviewing the entire series, which is why so many people are annoyed. Oh well...it's not like anyone bases what they watch on ANN's tastes, anyway (I remember what they said about Code Geass in the Fall Preview guide...oh man, sooo glad I don't listen to ANN Laughing).

Cave wrote:
I also want to point out that on the boxset its made clear that the DVDs are "uncut" yet they took out the original openings and endings and made them special features only. WTF. Viz needs to shape up.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Viz is going to shape up anytime soon. According to people who attended the panel at AX, the move to cut the OP/ED was a "creative decision" that they plan to keep in subsequent releases. Very stupid move, and I know a lot of fans who won't be purchasing the boxsets for that reason. And they wonder why FUNimation always beats them in sales... Rolling Eyes
sarajr888

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
WOW! That was some brutal talking I read. If Prince of Tennis resembled every feature of real tennis then it would'nt be the least bit interesting. Prince of Tennis is not a pile of turd and you should'nt be able to judge this show if you've only seen a couple of episodes. Confused
toad sage 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
i can see where you are coming from. i recieved a promotional DVD of prince of tennis in my shonen jump...lets just say it was a good archery target. i feel that that has to have been one of the worst things i have ever seen on my TV. sum one is good at tennis, they show off to a senior, big whoop, i do that in golf to seniors and i get beaten with a putter! then if that wasn't bad enough, his trainer (grandma of the girl who made him miss the match) sais to the senior after he got whooped "that's not his dominant hand, he's left handed"(he was using his right hand...)i'd give it a rating of 3.5 out of 10...barely any action and the story line is as boring as watching a game of tiddily winks,(again, no offence to the prince of tennis fans, i clearly state my opinoins...) but i think if it is brand new, you should give it some time to get better. heck, i thought naruto, black cat, and shaman king were lame to start with but now they are some of my favorite, i think people just need to give "the prince of tennis" some time to get better... i hope =/
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
SaveOnePiece wrote:
You must be one of those 13 to 26 episode people that can't handle a series with actual depth. Go ahead and make fun of a series because' it doesn't have half naked balloon chested airheaded girls prancing around like a drunk deer.

Holy lord, you can't be serious.

Story and depth is one thing The Prince of Tennis simply DOESN'T have. It's like this: Ryoma makes Seigaku tennis team, Seigaku plays opponent, wins, moves on in touranment, plays opponent, wins, moves on in tournament, has ranking matches, plays opponent, wins, moves on in tournament.

There are things you can have legitimate beef with, but depth in relation to Prince of Tennis simply isn't one of them. The Prince of Tennis is one of the most straightforward series in existence.

How can you talk about depth with that 13 to 26 episode character on your avatar? Come on get serious....
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Actually, if you check it against the original review, it's a copypaste job with random insults written after each paragraph.

This guy doesn't know how to use quote tags or how to post a message JUST ONCE.

<This guy is busy watching anime with over 26 episodes and uses the computer only when bored. Therefore not giving a crap about "quote tags".
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
Alucard from Hellsing=Worthless 13 episode character with the depth of a bowl of cereal.

Ryoma=Cool.

P.S.- It's not just Ryoma, you're going to see alot of the egotistical characters(with the traditional smirks and the "I'm better than you" grins) for a long time....[/quote]

And on Hellsing your gonna see the classic "end of teh worldz" 13 to 26 episode plot and low budget animation on the final 2 episodes.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
SaveOnePiece wrote:
You must be one of those 13 to 26 episode people that can't handle a series with actual depth. Go ahead and make fun of a series because' it doesn't have half naked balloon chested airheaded girls prancing around like a drunk deer.

Holy lord, you can't be serious.

Story and depth is one thing The Prince of Tennis simply DOESN'T have. It's like this: Ryoma makes Seigaku tennis team, Seigaku plays opponent, wins, moves on in touranment, plays opponent, wins, moves on in tournament, has ranking matches, plays opponent, wins, moves on in tournament.

There are things you can have legitimate beef with, but depth in relation to Prince of Tennis simply isn't one of them. The Prince of Tennis is one of the most straightforward series in existence.

How can you talk about depth with that 13 to 26 episode character on your avatar? Come on get serious....

Because Mugi can't come to realize in twelve episodes what it takes Ryoma 120 to realize? Length or lack thereof doesn't decide how deep an anime is. If that were the case, Keroro Gunso would be one of the deepest series in existence, and that's simply not true.

Perhaps a series can be deeper if fleshed out over hundreds of episodes, but The Prince of Tennis is not one of them. I don't consider a couple of plot twists that don't even affect the events in the story to be deep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5