• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Yotsuba and RTO

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
Quick little comment about the RHYSMYTH review:
Quote:
While the first volume starts out like a typical sports underdog story, it quickly blossoms into something not often seen-a girls' underdog story, where self-confidence and romantic intrigue take center stage, and the raw urge to get stronger is less important.

How is that not often seen in a (presumably) girl's manga (re:shoujo)?

Don't most series in the genre feature a female lead that is more concerned about love interests (getting the boy(s) to like them) and feeling more confident in themselves (usually with a catty rival girl for the lead to feel competitive with)?

I fail to recall a action-adventure or competition series with a female lead that DOES focus on the character's lofty goals career wise or competition wise and doesn't question her self worth.

I wouldn't mind seeing a shounen series with an ambitious female lead that isn't constantly boy-struck and actually has confidence in herself.

Slayers?
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
LoveCom- So good, I'm glad I bought it.
Gintama- I want this manga, it's one of the only SJ titles that interests me.
Yotsuba- I need to get to buying volume 2...
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree about the Osamu Tezuka rant. Hunting high and low for volume 7 of Phoenix is killing me. Anime cry I think I found an online store that might have like, the last copies in stock, but I'll never know if I'll actually be able to get one. I really wish there were more publishers out there like Vertical that showed Tezuka manga some real respect. And when is Viz's license to Black Jack gonna expire? Vertical said they'd totally release it if Viz would stop sitting on the stupid license. Confused
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree about Tezuka's work. The only one of his works that I've seen which is readily available is Buddha, and complete at that, even at bookstores. While you will see a scant few volumes float around every now and then of some of his other stuff, you will see nothing in the ways of a complete series. While Vertical may be boutique, you have to give them credit for making there work available to the public, unlike if I gather your thoughts correctly, another publisher that begins with a V.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
And also, the first section of Gacha Gacha is much better that the total-shift-into-Skinamax second part. And by much better, I mean I'm not embarassed to have it on my shelfs (damning w/ faint praise, i guess).

To each his own, as the saying goes.

As for me, it took one volume of Gacha Gacha, and that was it. I've run through my fair share of harem works before, and this one added nothing that I hadn't seen before spoiler[(outside the fact that the harem consists of one girl with multiple personalities)]. I'll admit that the hook thrown out at the end of the first volume had me half-intrigued, but then again, half-intrigued ≠ me giving up money.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
Quick little comment about the RHYSMYTH review:
Quote:
While the first volume starts out like a typical sports underdog story, it quickly blossoms into something not often seen-a girls' underdog story, where self-confidence and romantic intrigue take center stage, and the raw urge to get stronger is less important.

How is that not often seen in a (presumably) girl's manga (re:shoujo)?

Don't most series in the genre feature a female lead that is more concerned about love interests (getting the boy(s) to like them) and feeling more confident in themselves (usually with a catty rival girl for the lead to feel competitive with)?

I fail to recall a action-adventure or competition series with a female lead that DOES focus on the character's lofty goals career wise or competition wise and doesn't question her self worth.

I wouldn't mind seeing a shounen series with an ambitious female lead that isn't constantly boy-struck and actually has confidence in herself.

I meant that girls' sports stories are less common than boys sports stories.

Your point is totally valid but it has nothing to do with what I was trying to say ... write ... in there.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Going to grab Gintama asap!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Great... thanks to the reviews, I went and bought Yotsuba 1 and Lovecom 1... just what I need, more manga to collect... Razz *eyes overcrowded double-upped manga bookshelf*
Kyokat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:

It's josei, not shonen, but as mentioned, you should really check out The Story of Saiunkoku. (Ignore the summary; it covers like the first 4 episodes.)
Yoshball

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Ok, WHY isn't the World Manga section graded?

Because it is supposed to be a section to "highlight" manga, not exactly to review them. I had the same question and they answer it every week in the forum.

They will continue to get this question because this "highlight" section is in the exact same format as all the other reviews. If they truly want to make it a highlight section and stop the confusion about the grading, they need to change the format to something more similar to the "Best/Worst" section or something. It bugs me that they don't.
roujin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Eyeshield 21 keeps proving itself to be the ONE sports manga that people need to read. I don't even like football that much but it always keeps me on the edge and more importantly, it is ridiculously funny as Hiruma is one of the funniest characters I've ever seen.
aluria

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Yotsuba is great! My local library has it so I've been enjoying it when it's in. Haven't really read any of the other series though good to know to stay away from Gacha Gacha, didn't look that good to begin with though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scortia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
*does a fangirl cheer for Eyeshield 21* YA~HA!

I think I know why it's the only sports manga title I like... probably because, the mangaka has stated (wish I could find the interview again) that he doesn't even want it to be labelled a sports title. It's even moreso, about the characters... just being fun and awesome. And man do I hate football, but with Eyeshield, that doesn't even matter!

Can't wait til the Shinryuuji and Oujou games get to the states... if you think Poseidon was a long game. HA!
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... The only shoujo sports manga I can think up right now on the spot would be My Heavenly Hockey Club. The female lead isn't interested in the guy at all, spoiler[despite how she's often told he likes her...]
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd go so far as to say Gintama is the antithesis of the typical Jump book.
http://easternstandard.pbwiki.com/Gintama
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3