• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Rambling Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm a horrible person, because I loved Metropolis. It's one of the few anime movies I can watch more than once.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
billk1928 wrote:

I'm saddened by the dominating influence Japanese otaku impose on the Anime industry, as I agree the business needs to move in new and interesting directions if it is going to stay strong throughout the world.

The Japanese Otaku have always been the ones to dominate the market. It's just that anime has always been aimed at 20 year olds, and as people age the change in taste of the next generation changes.

Anime fans claim that they want anime to go into a new direction but when that direction comes they inevitability complain about that direction, what they really want is for anime to go back 10-20 years and return to what it was when they got into it.

Americans want to make a difference? Than the sales of anime needs to increase. You simply can't expect Japan to bend over to the will of America when there's no profit/
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Anime fans claim that they want anime to go into a new direction but when that direction comes they inevitability complain about that direction, what they really want is for anime to go back 10-20 years and return to what it was when they got into it.

Americans want to make a difference? Than the sales of anime needs to increase. You simply can't expect Japan to bend over to the will of America when there's no profit/

I hope Japan never listens to American fans when it comes to anime. They tend to have a very skewed perspective, and Japan's industry didn't boom because they listened to us.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
billk1928 wrote:
First off, let me state, as a member of the “Baby Boomers” generation, I was insulted by Justin’s comments. I didn’t have any choice when I was born. Nobody does. I also learned that judging someone by the group is foolish, so I try to avoid doing that. (Was interesting that later on, you mentioned that everybody on the Internet now is an asshole. I guess that includes you, right? It also means in person, you're a real nice guy.) ('Razz')

That segment was clearly intended to be tongue-in-cheek. Of course I don't hate all baby boomers. It would be stupid to generalize an entire generation of people.

I don't wish to get into the politics of it, but the idea that, from a macro-historical perspective the Baby Boomer generation has been a massively destructive one is hardly an obscure theory. Many mainstream publications from both sides of the political spectrum have printed essays about that, many of them written by baby boomers themselves.

And hey, OUR generation is largely comprised of illiterate and self-entitled people who like the Black Eyed Peas. Don't take it personally.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Okay, this may sound like a dumb question but I always wondered... What's the most common way of measuring the size of an anime collection? By the actual number of discs, or the number of separate releases? I'm asking because it does seem to me like using counting each discs can artificially inflate the numbers once you start collecting TV series (anime or not).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Excellent podcast, and I am waiting on the remainder of the Mardock Scramble trilogy... Hopefully those will come out before I get myself killed doing something stupid..

Speaking of stupid, I wore one of those Lucky Star shirts to work one day (back when the culture was way more laid back and way less soul stealing, I would probably be 'reprimanded' for it these days) when some of us were having a "who can wear the weirdest/most embarrassing shirt to work" contest. I won.

Also since I am already rambling, when the question came up about what anime pissed you off the most, I immediately thought of Corpse Princess. I LOVED the first half. Then the second half really dropped the ball at first. It picked back up toward the end with some awesome revelations and apocalyptic battle going on, so I THOUGHT it would at least end fine and just had a run of shitty episodes. Of course, then the 2nd to last episode ends in the middle of a fight and I'm psyched to see how it ends up, and the last episode turns out is just a kinda add-on OVA about some characters that have been long dead, and then it's over. Yeah, that's the only time I remember screaming in rage over an anime....
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of glad to hear that somebody else didn't like the Metropolis anime movie. Everyone that I've talked to about it in person has said how much they liked it, so I was wondering if I was just missing something because I just flat out didn't like that movie.
arromdee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

The Japanese Otaku have always been the ones to dominate the market.

I don't agree. One of the reasons I enjoy shows like One Piece and Naruto is that as mass market shows they can't pander to otaku to the point of being full of things that turn away all but the minority that they are directly aimed at. Now, it's true that many such shows are aimed at kids, but "kids" and "otaku" aren't the same sort of market.

And then there the old Cartoon Network and other shows that appeared on American TV. I don't know how much Cowboy Bebop was written to appeal to otaku, but in the US its success clearly was not due to the otaku elements.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I guess I'm a horrible person, because I loved Metropolis. It's one of the few anime movies I can watch more than once.

I guess I am also a bad person, but I assume that's in the context that what Rintaro et al did was controversial (and wrong ...depending on who you talk to). Creating an anime based on a work by Osamu "The god of manga" Tezuka that the author would not have/did not approve(d) of.

From what I saw in the following wikis, Tezuka may have not have been so innocent himself. It depends how willing you are to take him at face value.
He supposedly draws inspiration to create his work from a single still image of the 1927 film of the same name. Rintaro is supposed to have used both the 1927 film and Tezuka's as inspiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28anime%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28film%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%28manga%29

I find it sad that despite his work supposedly having been such a positive inspiration to others, he did not feel that it was that good or (perhaps)worse that no one else was capable of making it good.

It's hard to judge how much respect should be given to 'creativity' and 'originality' when it may just be a big incestuous blob. Perhaps, he only thing that really matters is whether or not it wins the popularity contest. Even then maybe only on an individual basis.

Steal and you may go to jail. Steal in a way that somehow wins people to your side and you may become a hero. Props to pulling off a hard maneuver.

Obviously, not everyone approves or even likes the film(that's cool), but Rintaro could have done worse. Even getting approval is not magic. I'm sure I would have liked the American Godzilla more had it not been called "Godzilla." That alone ruins it for a lot of people I'd bet.

Last edited by Cheesecracker on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
arromdee wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

The Japanese Otaku have always been the ones to dominate the market.

I don't agree. One of the reasons I enjoy shows like One Piece and Naruto is that as mass market shows they can't pander to otaku to the point of being full of things that turn away all but the minority that they are directly aimed at. Now, it's true that many such shows are aimed at kids, but "kids" and "otaku" aren't the same sort of market.

And then there the old Cartoon Network and other shows that appeared on American TV. I don't know how much Cowboy Bebop was written to appeal to otaku, but in the US its success clearly was not due to the otaku elements.

One Piece and Naruto are manga first, and anime second, the manga market is a lot more diversified than the anime market.

There hasn't been a massive hit anime in America since Naruto in 2005. Bleach does okay but it was nowhere as popular as Naruto at the height of its popularity.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The new Thundercats is worth checking out. I was watching it yesterday and realized that this is the sort of show that Rankin Bass would have made had they still been around. It's far better than the new Voltron series.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
It's far better than the new Voltron series.

That's not really saying much, it's still below average all things considered.

Charred Knight wrote:
There hasn't been a massive hit anime in America since Naruto in 2005. Bleach does okay but it was nowhere as popular as Naruto at the height of its popularity.

Metal Fight Beyblade?
Bakugan?
Pocket Monsters?

All seem pretty popular and air on CN

Dragonball Kai as well if you count it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4