• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Licenses Devil May Cry, Gurren Lagaan, Kyoshiro

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Kyoshiro looks pretty interesting. I've had it on my "Want to See" list for a while now. Good for ADV! I'm glad that they're getting some titles that people are really looking forward too.

Crying or Very sad Still no Code Geauss or Oruan High School Host Club. Crying or Very sad Funi, you are my last hope! Please don't let me down!
geishageek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
excited for 2 out of the 3. I've never been big into the DMC so I may skip this. Kyoshiro was a huge shock because even though I enjoyed it very much, I believed it to be a lack luster title in the large war of licensing. and seeing as Geneon put out Kannazuki no Miko, i figured it would fall to them if it was licensed at all.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
OMG, Kyoshiro? I totally never expected it to be licensed so soon. Way to go ADV!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Nothing from ADV that I care about this time.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit surprised that Gurren-Lagann has no green link at all, then I noticed a small difference of spelling. Was it ADV who changed it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Espeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see it's licensed. I've seen up to episode 10 or so i'm a Fan now Smile
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Great news about Gurren-Lagaan. Not really a surprise, but something I was really looking forward to none the less.

Quote:

Eh, well, whatever. 5 Centimeters per Second, Gurren Lagann, and Air are on my to-buy list, and I'm collecting Kurau: Phantom Memory and Le Chevalier D'Eon as the volumes come out, so it's all good.

Is Air good? I've never really looked into it because of the character designs...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
No I have a love/hate relationship with Gonzo. I've loved many of their works and hated many of their works.

Ah, fair enough. On the whole, though, I'm not too enamored with their output. I love Gankutsuou, really like Last Exile in spite of its faults, and have an appreciation of Blue Submarine No. 6... Beyond that, though, I consider them to be a mediocre studio all around. I've given up on Romeo x Juliet, and I weary of their Samurai 7 adaption. And while Basilisk might be good in anime form for the fights, that's about all it has since there's about zero substance to the series (assuming it isn't changed up all that much from the manga). And none of ADV's recent licenses from them interest me, having seen two of them, save for NHK, which I'm sticking to the manga and original novel for.

Quote:
Hopefully Gurren Lagaan will get that speed treatment (like you noted Hellkorn) similar to Le Chevalier because that is the way to release a show.

Having it put out alongside Devil May Cry in the latter half of 2007 should get ADV a very sizable gain. Quick, cheap high-profile series, and one with a game tie-in? Smart business decisions on their part.

Now I only need the pre-order dates and I'm more than willing to lay down money for this series. I need some good over-the-top mecha manliness.

Kagemusha wrote:
Is Air good? I've never really looked into it because of the character designs...

It's kind of hard to answer that one. Admittedly I share your sentiments on the character designs (MAH GAWD DA EYES!), and I'm not the biggest, ahem, fan of moe, to put it lightly... however, Air rather surprised me by how much I did end up enjoying it. I guess it's sort of a guilty pleasure of mine, but there were a lot more elements other than the "Oh, she says "gao" frequently and is clumsy; ha-ha let's all laugh at the cuteness and her idiosyncrasies" aspect, particularly the atmosphere (which is aided by, character designs aside, the technical masterpiece created by the music and animation), and the characters (Haruko is notably a very un-moe character, which shocked the hell out of me considering how much development and attention she gets). Of course there's a few clichés that you'd come to expect from an otaku-pandering show, and of course there is a small portion of "let's manipulate the audience, driving them to tears" bit that I generally don't care for (yet make an exception for here, since the writing and direction steps up to save what would be an eye-roller in just about any other situation), but overall it's pretty solid. It actually offers something of a variety compared to the usual moe-happy show, which I certainly can't say for most.

I can't and won't promise that you'd like it as I don't know your tolerance of moe and usual fan-favored pandering, but give it a try if you're looking for a technical masterpiece for an anime television series whose script is outside the norm of such shows, and has a fitting ending to boot. Hey, it managed to win over this incredibly jaded fan, and a good number of others whose tastes I respect actually liked it more than they would've thought, so it's gotta mean something.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Wow, Seeing DMC and Gurren-Lagann licensed made my night! I Hope Gurren in a fast release. Kyoshiro isn't a title I gave much thought about before, but the plot synopsis does intrigue me, so I might check it out.

This is the best I heard about since AIr.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Kyoshiro looks pretty interesting. I've had it on my "Want to See" list for a while now. Good for ADV! I'm glad that they're getting some titles that people are really looking forward too.

Crying or Very sad Still no Code Geauss or Ouran High School Host Club. Crying or Very sad Funi, you are my last hope! Please don't let me down!
LIke I said on the other thread, there's a pretty good chance of Bandai getting Code Geass, and Funi's seemed highly interested in Ouran for awhile. In fact by process of elimination, Funi is almost sure to get Ouran. Let's take a look at the major players:

Viz has good theoretical odds since they have the manga, but they've said in the past that they tried to get it, but failed.

Bandai doesn't do bishounen-filled shoujo comedy. Outside of mecha/sci-fi/action/fantasy, their titles are usually either "cute" (Magical Meow Meow Taruto, Galaxy Angel, Digi Charat Nyo) or shounen romance (Love Hina, Please Teacher, Please Twins, Angel Tales). To be fair, they do have other things like sports anime (Dan Doh, Hoop Days), but I'm sure they've discovered by now that the market for those isn't good. Haruhi is an exception since it's a joint project (to use the fansubbing term) with Kadokawa USA.

Media-Blasters probably doesn't have the money for it, and the likely sub-only route would be seriously undercutting Ouran's sales potential.

Manga Ent., aside from being too small, does not go after girly/romantic/comedic anime whatsoever.

Bandai Visual has no connection with Ouran afaik, and it's not their type of anime by a longshot.

Geneon isn't in the greatest financial state right now, and they've got plenty of new stuff on their plate like Saiunkoku, Nanoha, Seirei no Moribito, and other more "Geneon-esque" series.

None of the smaller companies will have the resources to do it, so that eliminates RightStuf, and others like CPM and AnimEigo who have stepped out of the contemporary licensing scene.

So that leaves ADV and Funimation. ADV's already announced a slew of titles, some high-profile (5 cm/s, Lagann), and some that are likely quite expensive (Air). Rumor has it there's been a bidding war over Ouran, so it's possible that ADV didn't have enough to cover Ouran's high cost.

Comparing the announcements at Acen, ADV brought out 4 new titles, while Funimation limited itself to just one, the relatively low-profile Black Blood Brothers, with promises of "more to come at future conventions." Plus, ADV already grabbed Wallflower, perhaps to position itself with a similar bishounen comedy romp against Funimation having Ouran.
-------------------------------------------------------------
At least ADV has spared my wallet a bit with these announcements. I never had any interest in Devil May Cry, and while there's a lot of good buzz about Lagann, the episodes of it I saw at a convention didn't really impress me. Even if it's Gainax's best since FLCL, I really didn't think that the FLCL/Abenobashi-type character designs worked well for the type of story they were presenting. At the risk of sacrilige, I'll admit that I'd rather have the Gainax of Mahoromatic and This Ugly yet Beautiful World. (Speaking of which, where's He is my Master, ADV? Fanservice, loli maids, and a pervy alligator ftw!)

Kyoshiro, otoh, I'll either get sight unseen or after watching the fansubs--with its similarities to Kannazuki no Miko, I'm sure I'll find it likeable enough in a fanboyish way. Plus I enjoyed other Kaishaku stuff like Taruto and Steel Angel Kurumi, though I view UFO Ultramaiden Valkyries as a series I don't even want to taint my HD with.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
DAMN, DMC got picked up fast; awesome...

I wonder if ADV is gonna get the game actors for the upcoming game to do the dub?

Uh... guess I'll stop watching the fansubs and wait for this...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

I wonder if ADV is gonna get the game actors for the upcoming game to do the dub?

If Xenosaga is any indication, then probably not. I don't know where the DMC game was dubbed, but I'd guess LA and not Houston.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's why I was kinda wondering... what with ADV being in Texas and all...

But yeah, based on what you said, I'd have to think: no.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
DKL wrote:

If Xenosaga is any indication, then probably not. I don't know where the DMC game was dubbed, but I'd guess LA and not Houston.

I'd have to guess LA too; most game dubbing goes on there, and Johnny Yong Bosch is playing Nero. However, there's nothing that says the actors can't make a trip to Houston; for one it's a short series and with the game itself not too far away they could get the game actors.
starcade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
Devil May Cry? Wow, ADV actually licensed a big title, their license announcements within the last year have been mostly disappointing, DMC will damn sure make up for that though. I think that DMC & Xenosaga will be the only licenses of their I'll be buying though.

Good announcement.

Yeah, ADV apparently showing a pulse.

I was going to ask them at the panel before I saw DMC being licensed to kind of give up ADV fans a reason to "keep the faith", since Funimation is kicking everyone's asses and the chances are that Viz could pass them this year, largely based on Naruto and Bleach.

Had an interesting mini-talk as I bumped into a couple of the ADV bigwigs from the panel about 10 last night -- and they told me something interesting.

I told them about the perception of ADV being down and the like, and they basically said perceptions were fine, since ADV was the only anime company in the States not to be in financial trouble.

I find that a bit hard to believe with Funimation's market share.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3