• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual Adds Gundam MS Igloo, Super Robot Wars

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
My condolences to the fans of those titles.
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:

It depends on the price point though.I am kinda of a gundam fan of the orginial i might be intrested on seeing that side story.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:29 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:

It depends on the price point though.I am kinda of a gundam fan of the orginial i might be intrested on seeing that side story.

I'm a Gundam fan too, but given the price points they've charged so far, I'm not holding my breath on the affordability of this one. Given their price points so far, they'll probably release each episode on a single disc and charge $40 for it.
halo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
After the horrible experience I had with the Zeta Gundam boxed (and numerous other discs) set, it's worth the price not to have Bandai-Ent. touching it.
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
After the horrible experience I had with the Zeta Gundam boxed (and numerous other discs) set, it's worth the price not to have Bandai-Ent. touching it.

There is a differnce between bandai visual and bandai entertainment(i think)
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your sympathy.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Er...

You know, as much of a Super Robot Taisen/Wars fan as I am, the licencing of the two SRW OG anime surprises me for a couple reasons: 1) The fanbase for the SRW series in North America is practically non-existant (evidenced by the low sales numbers of both localized GBA OG games) and 2) quite frankly, neither series is very good. Combine this with Bandai Visual's typical pricing strategy and both series are pretty much dead on arrival.

The only way I could ever see either series doing well here is if they were to somehow advertise them in conjunction with a North American release of Super Robot Taisen: Original Generations for the PS2. Even then, having much more expanding renditions of the stories of OG1 (of which the TV series is an adaptation of), OG2, and the OVA/OG2.5 (obviously covered by the OVA) for the price of a regular PS2 game (probably $60 tops) versus BV's cost for at least 7 DVDs ($40 a pop for a total of at least $280) for half of the series' storyline makes the value comparison pretty damned lopsided.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
More licenses from Bandai Visual that I have no interest in. Very Happy

halo wrote:

Bandai Visual USA and Bandai Entertainment are different companies (same parent company though). Blame Bandai Ent. for Zeta Gundam not Bandai Visual.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
halo wrote:

Are you talking about problems with the discs or the footage, or was it more to do with the OPs etc? If it was the last, that was because BEI couldn't get the licence for the OP/ED IIRC.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
halo wrote:

Are you talking about problems with the discs or the footage, or was it more to do with the OPs etc? If it was the last, that was because BEI couldn't get the licence for the OP/ED IIRC.

Two posts at once. Razz I think that halo is referring to playback issues that some of the discs in the LE Zeta Gundam box had. IIRC Bandai Ent. was pretty difficult with a replacement program because they said the series would only be released as a box but then later released it over five 10-episode volumes (pissing more fans off, too). Hope that helps!

Edited for clarification
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps these titles will determine whether or not Bandai Visual USA have "learned their lesson" or not...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Only Apocalypse 0079? Or have they renamed both MS IGLOO installments as "Apocalypse 0079" retroactively? I find it weird that only that one would be mentioned, as it's the direct sequel to the original MS IGLOO.

Either way, though, I'm predicting we'll get more $40 per two episodes crap, meaning I won't be buying. MS IGLOO was good stuff, but I refuse to validate Bandai Visual's bull, and will not buy unless they're pricing it reasonably (I'm talking $25 at most with a minimum three episodes per volume).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Man, these guys sure are ambitious. They're licensing stuff left and right. Too bad I haven't really been interested in much of anything (except for Gunbuster). This is bound to catch up with them eventually given their insane pricing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
More licenses from Bandai Visual that I have no interest in. Very Happy

halo wrote:

Bandai Visual USA and Bandai Entertainment are different companies (same parent company though). Blame Bandai Ent. for Zeta Gundam not Bandai Visual.

I am blaming Bandai-Ent., and blaming them a lot. The op/ed didn't bother me as much as a few other issues. The op/ed was a little insulting because they obviously knew they were going to release them like that and didn't tell anyone before it was released. My biggest issue was the horrible subtitles. Sure they released the individual discs with a better translation but those who bought the LE box under the assumption that that was going to be the only release got screwed. Having to have 4/10 discs replaced was a bit of a pain too.

That being said, for certain titles I am willing to pay more for a better product. BV's not without a few issues but the Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 discs are really sweet (saved for one changed song and no dubs.) MS Igloo is a solid OVA series and I'm glad to see it coming soon.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Only Apocalypse 0079? Or have they renamed both MS IGLOO installments as "Apocalypse 0079" retroactively? I find it weird that only that one would be mentioned, as it's the direct sequel to the original MS IGLOO.

Either way, though, I'm predicting we'll get more $40 per two episodes crap, meaning I won't be buying. MS IGLOO was good stuff, but I refuse to validate Bandai Visual's bull, and will not buy unless they're pricing it reasonably (I'm talking $25 at most with a minimum three episodes per volume).

AnimeOnDVD has confirmed that BV USA has both MS IGLOO OVA series and each will get one release meaning two 3-episode volumes. The price point for those should be interesting...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3