• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Breaking News: Halko Momoi Slams Anime Expo on Blog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackCox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I personally had the best time at AX, but that was because I knew what to do and what not to do.

I personally avoided all concerts and all Japanese Guests because I knew it was going to be an insane hell. I did however manage to meet a lot of English Voice Actors (which primarily I came for) and had many things signed. I truly enjoyed the entire time I had there (I did miss a few panels though because of time and because some of the lines were long to get into the panel.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:09 pm Reply with quote
FiliKlepto wrote:
I'm surprised that no one else is saying anything about the one person I am incredibly irked with - the BangZoom! translator. That woman only exacerbated the problems that were already there. She kept trying to emcee rather than translate, and whenever Patty attempted to steer the show in one direction, the translator was all like, "Let's do this instead!" It was ridiculous; she wasn't even doing her job half the time and addressed the audience in Japanese. -_-;

I think I said this elsewhere on the board, but --

I'm pretty sure I only remember her speaking Japanese when she was translating some of the English being said for the Japanese fans in the audience (because a lot had come for the SOS girls). I don't remember her using much other Japanese, or saying anything that hadn't also been said in English.

Or maybe I just phased it out because I know enough Japanese that I'm not thinking about it. Anime hyper;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Well I guess its never to late to say good things eh.

Or perhaps she was finally coerced into doing it, seeing as how her complaints mysteriously vanished (who does that on a blog?). Like cortanaMT said way in the beginning of this thread, public criticism of media-related outlets almost never happens. It's essentially creating unsteady waters for the industry and biting the hand that feeds you. Oh well, maybe you'll learn from this, Anime Expo. BTW, Momoi had already previously released a statement like this. Look here:
http://www.nt2099.com/J-ENT/news/japanese-entertainment-news/j-ent-a-message-from-momoi-halko-to-her-american-fans/
starcade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
I personally had the best time at AX, but that was because I knew what to do and what not to do.

I personally avoided all concerts and all Japanese Guests because I knew it was going to be an insane hell. I did however manage to meet a lot of English Voice Actors (which primarily I came for) and had many things signed. I truly enjoyed the entire time I had there (I did miss a few panels though because of time and because some of the lines were long to get into the panel.

That's pretty much what I did too. Basically, as long as I avoided pretty much all the main events and all that insanity and stuck with the industry stuff (esp. the ADV Challenge and the like) and the voice talents in the booths, I was fine.

By Monday, though, I just felt the whole con collapsing on itself, and that was that.

PurpleM wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Well I guess its never to late to say good things eh.

Or perhaps she was finally coerced into doing it, seeing as how her complaints mysteriously vanished (who does that on a blog?). Like cortanaMT said way in the beginning of this thread, public criticism of media-related outlets almost never happens. It's essentially creating unsteady waters for the industry and biting the hand that feeds you. Oh well, maybe you'll learn from this, Anime Expo. BTW, Momoi had already previously released a statement like this. Look here:
http://www.nt2099.com/J-ENT/news/japanese-entertainment-news/j-ent-a-message-from-momoi-halko-to-her-american-fans/

No they won't. It's clear that the incompetents at AX are openly just going to get most of the people who see them for what they are to go away and hope to get the con to a more manageable level that way -- completely against any sense of business acumen one can think of.

AX won't even do enough (IMODO) to make next year's con (and, yes, Chase, if you're reading this, I do still owe you that phone call -- it'll come soon (precisely when, I don't know)) acceptable to have been put on in the LBCC.

And Momoi clearly had to be coerced or something -- usually, when someone says something that strongly and then attempts to retract it, it's because someone got to him/her and basically told him/her to shut up and basically kiss the feet of a lot of people before they lose their career entirely. Happens all the time here in the States.

Just remember with something like that: When a performer or athlete makes a strong statement and then is compelled to back off, take the first statement as closer to the truth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8