• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Breaking News: Halko Momoi Slams Anime Expo on Blog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji_B

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quote
AX2007 was my second anime convention in USA. In conclusion, I enjoyed my AX days. Both of good things and bad things were interesting experiences.

As many people said, I have to say that AX2007 was in poor management. I hope the problems could be improved for the next AX. One of the reasons of long line and waiting time for hours was the delay of the concert stages in arena hall. Someone says this is not only AX’s fault, but also guest’s fault. I don’t think so. I am afraid that AX treated our guests came from Japan in the same way as they were doing for us attendees.

I read Haruko Momoi’s blog entries about AX. It made me feel sad. I translated some parts from those texts below. Sorry for my poor English skill. I hope some of you can refer original texts. I just thought we should know how we treated our special guests in AX. AX must ask for feedback from all guests every year.

http://blog.tsutaya.co.jp/momo-i/8494
http://blog.tsutaya.co.jp/momo-i/8505
http://blog.tsutaya.co.jp/momo-i/8534
------
> From L.A. (July 1st, Japan time)
Yee! I am Momoi. I write this entry, somehow.
My ANIME EXPO was... awful. I couldn't feel any respect for anime and anime-related things here. At first, our hotel rooms were not reserved. And more many things... I don’t like to write those in detail here, but the situation was so desolated. In the last night, A my staff was told from AX staff that ALL songs might be cut in my stage. After my staff negotiated with AX, we could avoid such a terrible case.
Not only on me, other guests also faced many troubles. Some stages or interview were completely canceled by selfish reason. Some programs delayed, were moved and shortened. I know one staff came from Japan was in tears. We came here after our preparation. But, those motivated people are getting lost their energy rapidly in a disappointment. It was very sad. Both we and the fans were very confused.
Because I couldn’t handle my sadness, I behaved roughly in the delayed stage last night. I was angry yesterday. "What is this event for?" Don't take me, OTAKU and related things for a fool. But there were fans who were waiting until the night. Their happy smile, handclap and cheer saved me. My focus panel in this morning also made me happier because of many fans. I felt deep emotion and dropped tear in the end. I knew that some people have received what I do.
In this event, the volunteer staff taking care of me is working hard. Other AX staffs are working hard to improve this situation, too. The staff said sorry to me. I am going to believe them now.
Then, as I said in my focus panel, my all schedules in this afternoon were canceled. I am so sorry for fans. But I will do prepare the sound perfectly for the concert tomorrow. I look forward to enjoy the concert with you all. I really want to do it all right at least. I want to sing as my best even in such adversities. I will do it!
(Please understand that I don't write this text to hurt someone. If this entry will be deleted later, please sense my unwritten feeling.)

> My concert is tomorrow! (July 2nd, Japan time)
I say sorry to you worrying me. I am alright now!
We talked with AX staffs today, discussed about my concert and we got enough time for sound checking. The AX staffs knew our motivation and are doing their best.
Thank you for sending massages cheering me. But please don't misunderstand one thing. I don't agree to just say that those troubles happened because here is foreign country for us and we are foreigner. Of course there is a barrier between different languages. But, even in Japan, I have some terrible experiences I can't accept and want to say "Don't take OTAKU for a fool!". When I am in such situation, the most important thing is to keep a strong will and act according to my principle. Although it is very hard, I feel I can do so in this event. In other words, I perform a nice concert. I will do it.

> Thank you All!/ ANIME EXPO (July 3rd, Japan time)
I finished my concert and came back to the hotel after press interview. In this morning, our mood was different from that in June 30th. Every AX staffs helped us. PA also did their best today. I was happy that they finally understood my true desire to make a success for the concert. They all worked seriously, no rude person was there. Although I had a conflict, got angry and cried, we all could smile in the end.
I could sing my songs with my heart. I have received wonderful faces and cheering from all attendees. I was so happy, I am crying now...
Sorry I made you fans very worry. My concert was a big success. Many things have happened on me since I came to USA. I really feel happy now I could see you all. All attendees and staffs have a great smile. One of my dreams came true here. Thanks a lot!!
But, it is the fact that we AX hurt many people and made them feel sad and disappointed. I really hope AX will learn from the problems in this year and try to do their best to improve the next convention. I have a lot things I have to review myself, too. I feel sorry for fans, especially for my autograph schedule was cancelled. I will try to see you fans in USA again.
I refused to attend to closing ceremony once, but I changed my mind. I will go to join the ceremony from now!
------

P.S.
I found a new entry in Hirano Aya's blog about SOS LIVE. It also sounds sad.

From Hirano Aya's blog entry
http://www.hiranoaya.com/cgi-bin/diary/sfs6_diary/
------
> LIVE@LA (July 4th, Japan time)
I did my best. I am glad you fans have enjoyed that. But, I feel sorry for fans came from Japan. I am very sorry I could not make enough performance quality as I do in Japan. I can't stand it. So I will come here again to redeem. Definitely.
------

Last edited by Kouji_B on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
nemuiwanko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
FiliKlepto wrote:
W-General wrote:
You got to talk to them? How? Were you press? Staff? Or did you break rules and talked to them a little bit during the signing session (there was one guy who did that right after I got my stuff signed). I am extremely jealous of you.... if you better explain yourself well for your....privileges that I didn't get Evil or Very Mad

You better not be an AX Staff, because AX Staff deserves to be burned on stakes.

OK I am overreacting, and I think you're not an AX Staff and we both agree that the treatment of Japanese guests were extremely poor... so I'll forgive you for the travesty of getting to talk to Hirano-san.

I dunno, I've never really been a celebrity/star chaser and this is the first time in my life that I'm so seriously following a celebrity (even if she's only involved in Anime roles) and it meant the world to me to meet her face to face. Now I just feel really jaded because before AX I seriously believed of getting to talk to Hirano-san...but now that hope is lost... *depressed*....... Evil or Very Mad

No, no, not AX staff - and seeing the way they treat their guests - not now, not ever!

I'm with you, celebrity chasing is not my life, but I just HAD to meet Hirano Aya. And I was freaking out because I couldn't figure out a sure-fire way... until I went to the Bandai booth. They had a sign there - with the purchase of any Haruhi merchandise (I picked up a $10 image song CD) you had the "chance" to meet the seiyuu, as long as you were one of the first fifty people to show up with your receipt at the Bandai booth Sunday.

Of course, even though we (the BF and I) got the tickets to go meet them, we nearly didn't because of the as*y staff running the autograph session. There was this one woman, she was a real number, completely rude when I was politely asking her questions; she even accused us of trying to cut in line before the hundreds of people waiting outside. Why would we cut in line when we had guaranteed tickets?! She told us the Bandai signing was going to be at 1:45 and shooed us away. (Edit: I'm sure she was with AX and not outside staff because she was almost cosplaying - colored contacts, etc.)

When we came back TEN MINUTES LATER, she told us that the signing was over and that we missed out chance. She wouldn't even let us cross that stupid pink rope they set up, so that we could see for ourselves. So we ran all the way around the artist's alley to the door, found the Bandai guys, and got in -- the last two people who got an autograph.

And, yes, I broke tons of rules once inside. I brought my DVD box and ignored the AX staff person (sorry, guy!) who kept saying no DVDs and asked Goto Yuko to sign it. She said yes and was totally about to sign it, had her pen ready and everything, and their manager/agent stopped her. Anime cry I also spoke to Chihara-san and spent over a minute with Hirano Aya, just letting her know that I never imagined I would ever get to meet her, etc. We were the last people in line, so it wasn't like we were holding anyone up, and so I just talked and talked and talked.

Hirano Aya was so sweet and wonderful that after the signing I cried and cried and cried with joy. She even said that she remembered seeing me at the concert on Saturday (since I was in cosplay).

My total happiness makes me even more upset, though, that other people did not get to have the same experience! Damn you, AX. Evil or Very Mad I am just so incredibly displeased with this convention that it makes my blood boil.

I'm so envious Anime cry I wish I could have gotten that chance too. I had no idea about the bandai booth, bleeh wish I could have found out xD Waited for two days only to get lots of sunburn and see the line receive a cutoff x_x I still feel sad not being able to see them up close through the autograph session, but I blame AX o_o But my first AX trip ending like that has left a bad impression. I hope that you didn't get attacked by any of those people that didn't get an autograph though O_O Since I was waiting even after the cutoff, I was listening to the angry mob complain to the staff member Anime smile;; I felt very sorry for him, since I knew he was a grunt err I mean just a staff member, and that like all staff members at the con, they lacked a lot of information about what was going on. Information wasn't spreaded or being communicated efficiently, therefore he probably didn't know anything.
catsspat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
--snip--
kingofkaraoke wrote:
She did, however, agreed to hold her concert, although she warned at her focus panel that even that could possibly be canceled (the day of, Monday) as well.

--snip--
kingofkaraoke wrote:
The reason for the cancellation of her other appearances was, obviously, to give her some time to prepare for her concert that was going to take place days earlier than when she had expected (and was contracted) to do.

Be very careful making statements like these. Nothing is so "obviously" certain way. For example, At her focus panel, Momoi never said that the concert may be canceled. She said, "Umm, about tomorrow's live, if things continue the way they're, I'm not confident it will be a proper concert."

In exact form, she said, "ええと、明日のライブが、このままの状況だと、ちょっと、ちゃんとしたものが出来る自信が私はありません."

Romanji version: "eeto, ashita no LIVE ga, konomama no joukyou dato, chotto, chanto shita mono ga dekiru jishin ga watashi wa arimasen."

Then the translator said, "Umm, with the situation being what it is, I'm not sure I can do my concert tomorrow."

I know a lot of people were shocked for obvious reasons. I was shocked at the translator. I probably should have shouted out, but oh well.

Although I was disappointed with that particular translator more than once, I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I think he just needs to be a tiny bit more serious about his work (and take notes during events, too). It's not an easy job, you know. I just wanted to point out some facts to prevent misinformation from flying around too much.

And I also don't have anything against kingofkaraoke. After all, that's what was said in English. However, throwing around a word like "contracted" is not a good idea in my opinion. Personally, I don't see any relevance with any contracts and what happened at AX.

As for why I can remember exact words that were spoken, well, that should be obvious. No, I'm not releasing it in any form. They're going to sit in my encrypted partition and most likely become unretrievable when I die. Just to be clear, it's audio only.

--rich
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
catsspat wrote:
Be very careful making statements like these. Nothing is so "obviously" certain way. For example, At her focus panel, Momoi never said that the concert may be canceled. She said, "Umm, about tomorrow's live, if things continue the way they're, I'm not confident it will be a proper concert."

Romanji version: "eeto, ashita no LIVE ga, konomama no joukyou dato, chotto, chanto shita mono ga dekiru jishin ga watashi wa arimasen."

Then the translator said, "Umm, with the situation being what it is, I'm not sure I can do my concert tomorrow."

Actually, the translator got the first half right, and while the second part is not a literal translation, it conveys the implication in Momoi's words. Based on what you wrote, the translation is "What with everything that's happened so far, I've no confidence that I can give a proper performance on the concert tomorrow", implying that for this reason the concert may not be held because she doesn't want to do a half-assed performance. A Japanese idol would never go out and say "I cancel my concert because I'm too upset to go out and sing," she would say something like what Momoi said.
BattlEdge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
FiliKlepto wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
I did not go to the Halko Momoi event, because I was pretty much pissed off from how things were going with the convention. My friend did go to the SOS Brigade Invasion concert that people were considering to be a disaster, himself included. Seems that the Invasion started three hours late, the ASOS members were acting like a bunch of a-holes with them doing the dance half-ass. He tried to go to the autograph session for Hirano Aya, which ended up getting cancelled on day two. They pushed it back to day 3, and he got to the place at 6 am, the thing was supposed to start around either nine or ten am, which got kicked back some more. People had been waiting in line for the autograph session since 12 am. Then when they started the autographing, they announced that they were only going to allow 100 autographs, in which a riot he told me was ready to break out. To me, the staff there was not nice, the hotel staff was no better, poor planning of events and long lines with hourly waits. Am I going to criticize Anime Expo this year? You bet I am.

First, please don't say that the ASOS were "acting like a bunch of a-holes". I saw the dance as well, and even if you don't consider their dance as particularly skillful as the others on stage, I find it difficult to call their behavior rude. These three are the girls chosen to market the MoSH license in America and from my past meetings with them, they - or at least Patty (Haruhi) - are very enthusiastic about the series. Furthermore, two of them are actually Japanese, and it just doesn't compute - the idea of them acting out of line to fellow Japanese, particularly in such a public situation.

So, in summary - let's try not to misdirect our anger here, guys. Let's find who's really to blame and slam them hard. ...Uh, just kidding. ^^;

I personally did go to the SOS brigade events (all of them) and i gota say it was...pretty horrific (btw im the one that fighterholic is talking about) but 1st things are first during the fiasco. 1st off, regarding how bad things went, it turns out that the Convention staff was NOT cooperating with the AX staff. 2ndly horrible planning (judging from the time setbacks and ending on time BS), and 3rd its freaking longbeach during the summer (not a good idea)

wouldnt anyone who watched haruhi be enthusiastic? If you are going to be working with a guest of honor you should get an idea of what they would be considered rude (the japanese are a very polite bunch). also if i recall correctly, somewhere on ANN someone posted a quote from johnny boshe (dont know if i spelled that right) saying " its not fair, I didn't know the dance". again horrible planning. during their little outbreak, i do believe that chihara minori said "i think its time to disperse". if im not mistaken that should be taken as "shows over"...right?" i mean cmon, while some of the VA's were walking offstage, the translator was apologizing profusley. oh! and one of the fellows i was waiting in line during the last autograph session, he snuck a look at the ASOS group being chewed out by their bosses at bang zoom entertainment . Lastly, just because people are japanese doesnt mean much. i know MANY asian people that dont have a grasp on their culture. not sure about the ASOS girls but you get my point.gah i gota go now, rants more to come.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
jvowles wrote:
(Even a single competent part-time admin assistant would run the organization something in the neighborhood of 50-60k per year.)

Not to be rude, but who are you looking at? Ex-Hollywood people? I don't make half that for my part-time planning work.

I've been wondering about that also. I know people like the boss of various charities can make huge bucks, but there are scads of community groups pulling stuff off with a laregley volunteer staff. I've helped out with a local haunted house which raises money for out local 4th of July fireworks & it seems pretty much all volunteer.
AX could be pitched as a huge community event. I watched a bus go by yesterday with a Comic-con International sign on it. They put up flags on the street poles promoting Comic-con every year. Isn't Japan trying to promote anime? Couldn't they get a piece of that? Or something from the Japanese companies or the American companies? Our Blood Drive gives away prizes donated by various booths. The anime is often supplied by the companies, particularly the pre-release exclusives like last year's Trinity Blood. I thought I saw AX had 4 anime rooms--Comic-con has 3 running from 10 am to midnight or later.

There just has to be a better way to get AX off the ground because it just sounds as though it's doing more damage than good in promoting anime. How many Japanese celebs will think twice about attending another American con after their treatment at AX? We are inviting them here. Shouldn't we really treat them with respect?

Being more blunt, I don't want AX treating people badly to keep special guests from coming to my con. Many of these manga-ka seem almost hikikimori in nature--at least hermit-like. It probably doesn't take much to scare them off. Some seem more assured than others, but still, don't frighten any of the herd. We want to see them, too.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
FiliKlepto wrote:
W-General wrote:
Well when the SOS members were speaking or doing things, Patricia Lee and Johnny Bosch often cut them off. There were occasions of random apparent "outbursts" such as throwing the script onto the ground, etc. I'm not sure if that's for 'comedic effect' - it could be one of those great American mysterious comedy styles - but the SOS members certainly were not amused at all. I remember seeing Chihara san look totally bewildered on stage when there was the script tossing - Japanese people just weren't prepared for such outbursts, even if it was pre-scripted. The language barriers certainly DID NOT HELP. I bet they were just simply confused as to whether it was on purpose or not.

I agree with the general confusion, but I would direct the blame towards the apparent lack of rehearsals and the fact that they simply threw a script at everyone and expected them to follow it. In addition, the script they gave Chihara-san was in English, not Japanese, so she wasn't able to follow along with the situation. I doubt that she was even briefed about what would happen. Also agree with you on the language barriers issue. There should have been a staff translator accompanying the seiyuu on stage and explaining the situation because the translator there was not helpful in that respect at all. If there had been someone accompanying the seiyuu, that person could have explained the situation as they went along. This would also have prevented Patty and Johnny from appearing to cut them off, as it would have been obvious that the seiyuu was trying to say something with the designated translator/speaker there.

I personally blame a lot of the confusion at the concert on the translator chosen for the show, especially when she kept trying to MC and direct the order of events when she should have just been translating. In fact, did anyone notice that she mistranslated some parts and forgot to translate for a large part of the show? Why was a professional translator not hired? Did BangZoom! think it would be easier to use one of their own staff just because she was Japanese, rather than hiring an outside person?

As for the throwing of the script, it was a "scripted outburst" but definitely caused a ton of misunderstanding. There was supposed to be some frustration to anger Haruhi and cause closed space, so that the only way to appease her was by bringing Hirano Aya out on stage to sing. Terrible idea. I think whoever wrote the script should feel bad right now; it was so inappropriate to stage something like that! And none of this was explained to the Japanese guests, so they were completely confused and visibly put-off by it all. (Also inappropriate was the manner in which the translator took Patty to task. I don't remember the specific wording, but that's another mark against the script writer as a Japanese person would not be that blunt and rude in public.)

Also, JYB is not a member of the ASOS Brigade, so let's not let his actions be reflected on the other girls. Of course, I don't believe that he did anything particularly inexcusable; he was just as lost and confused as everyone else, and trying to get through it as best as he could.
Interesting, so they (PJL + JYB) were badly scripted and [un]prepared to be misunderstood as acting like idiots?

From all the anecdotal evidence, this year's AX was a disaster with no planning, training, or organization within the ranks of the staff.

I wanted to go because Hirano Aya was to be a GOH there, but from what it seems like, you were going to be seriously disappointed because nothing went right, or happened really. And from what's being said, I'd rather not waste my money and time on AX.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Trunks wrote:
From what I hear from people who attended AX on day 1 and 2, this year's convention was a pretty big disaster. Super long registration line, everything was delayed so nothing was on time, not being allowed into the film room if you're a few minutes late, crappy layout of the facility, bad planning and execution of AX staff. What the heck happened?? Sad

Dargonxtc wrote:
Okay people who went. What happened? What from what you could see or understand could have gotten under her skin?

Even with the new positive post, what was she talking about with the first one to merit the title "Halko Momoi Slams Anime Expo"?

I did not go to the Halko Momoi event, because I was pretty much pissed off from how things were going with the convention. My friend did go to the SOS Brigade Invasion concert that people were considering to be a disaster, himself included. Seems that the Invasion started three hours late, the ASOS members were acting like a bunch of a-holes with them doing the dance half-ass. He tried to go to the autograph session for Hirano Aya, which ended up getting cancelled on day two. They pushed it back to day 3, and he got to the place at 6 am, the thing was supposed to start around either nine or ten am, which got kicked back some more. People had been waiting in line for the autograph session since 12 am. Then when they started the autographing, they announced that they were only going to allow 100 autographs, in which a riot he told me was ready to break out. To me, the staff there was not nice, the hotel staff was no better, poor planning of events and long lines with hourly waits. Am I going to criticize Anime Expo this year? You bet I am.

Yup. I was also one of the poor suckers that waited 7+ hours total over 2 days for the SOS Brigade only to hear 10 MINUTES AFTER the signing was supposed to start that they were only doing 100 autographs. I wasn't part of the 100 needless to say. The staff I heard weren't very apologetic for anything either.

The SOS concert went pretty badly. I mean, the actual singing was great, but there were so many technical issues/scripting issues... Did anyone else hear that the singers were just a few milliseconds off what we were all hearing?? I couldn't understand the translator as well >_>;;

I went to the Halko Momoi concert, and she really gave a great show. It really was amazing.
I'm pretty sure she cried out of happiness during the concert in the final moments. I was kinda worried, because there weren't that many people there, but they passed out/sold glowsticks and the people in the front were so energetic Anime hyper
(And manzo performed "My Pace Daioh" from Genshiken!!! OMGOMG.)

Communication problems and disorganization seemed to be the key things holding AX from being a great con this year.
I really really hope AX fixes a lot of mistakes next year. And that there's food near the con. Because I'm kinda tired of paying $13+ for a plate of cheap pasta and a water. It would also be nice not to have to walk all the way around the freaking convention center to get back to anywhere after visiting the exhibit hall as well. *sigh*
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:

I really really hope AX fixes a lot of mistakes next year. And that there's food near the con. Because I'm kinda tired of paying $13+ for a plate of cheap pasta and a water. It would also be nice not to have to walk all the way around the freaking convention center to get back to anywhere after visiting the exhibit hall as well. *sigh*

We can only hope that the mistakes can be fixed by next year.

As for having to walk halfway around the CC to get back to the main entrance, what it pain in the a$$ that was! Nasty and hot and made my feet hurt. One day, I did that THREE times because I has killing time in-between panels.

As for food, well, it would have been nice if there were more affordable places. Or a greater variety. I ate at Islands. Good food mind you but I have to be very careful as to what I eat these days due to physical health issues. I can't eat fast food (specifically fried foods) any more and I sure as hell wasn't going to hike all the way to the Outback Steakhouse or PF Changs. But if would have been nice for others if there was a Burger King or McDonald's nearby then they wouldn't have had to wait for so long to get food. A Denny's or a Coco's would have been nice too. Good AFFORDABLE food.

And for the CC to sell bottle water and sodas for $3.25 or $3.75 is utterly outrageous and extortion! Hell, the man with the Roach Coach didn't have the balls to charge that much! He was asking $2 a bottle. I happily gave him my money for a soda! He WORKED for it as far as I'm concerned, in that hot truck of his.
zalas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Looks like momo-i responded to some of the comments to her blog:
http://blog.tsutaya.co.jp/momo-i/8534/?complete=1#comment wrote:

99, 桃井はるこ☆UP DATEさん 2007-07-05 00:32
本当にたくさんのメッセージ、ありがとう。

いろいろあったけれど、最後は笑顔でバイバイできて、みんなに感謝しています。
わたしの気持ちを受け入れて、受け取って返してくれて、本当にありがとう。

Thank you for writing in English.
but...I can't use English well,sorry.

ありがとうございました!>Everybody
100, 桃井はるこ☆UP DATEさん 2007-07-05 00:34
うううう…。
あらためて書き込みを読んでいると、涙が出そうになるよー。
また、みんなで音楽とともに楽しい時間を過ごそうね!
その時は、これを読んでいる、今回参加しなかった人もいっしょがいいな!
Thanks a lot!!

quick and possibly sloppy translation wrote:

Thank you for so many comments!

A lot of things happened, but in the end I was able to say "bye-bye" with a smile and I'd like to thank everyone for that. Thank you for opening your heart to my feelings and letting me know yours.

----

Thanks everybody!
*sniffle*

After reading the comments over again, I feel like I'm about to cry.
Let's enjoy ourselves together with the music again!
When that time comes, it would be great if I could be together with the people who are reading this and the people who couldn't come to the concert!
AlterGenesis-X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
After reading the entire topic, it's kind of depressing to hear that Anime Expo turned out like this. I only wish we could get these kind of high profile guests in Canada. If it was as bad as people who attended are making it sound, the staff (although volunteers) should have known what they were getting into when they volunteered.

Lack of sleep etc, is no excuse to be rude. (Sometimes I have to suck it in when I'm volunteer/staff). Anyhow, all the best to those who attended and were disappointed, hopefully some of you may attend Anime North next year so you can tell me all about your experiences. Smile
starcade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The more I read about this, the more I wonder whether AX 2007 shouldn't have been cancelled.

(And more why I think that maybe AX 2008 should be...)
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I heard bandai, del rey and viz are pulling out. veteran staffers are quitting. Also that this was a long time coming. A war behind the scenes as it were.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
AlterGenesis-X wrote:
After reading the entire topic, it's kind of depressing to hear that Anime Expo turned out like this. I only wish we could get these kind of high profile guests in Canada. If it was as bad as people who attended are making it sound, the staff (although volunteers) should have known what they were getting into when they volunteered.

Lack of sleep etc, is no excuse to be rude. (Sometimes I have to suck it in when I'm volunteer/staff). Anyhow, all the best to those who attended and were disappointed, hopefully some of you may attend Anime North next year so you can tell me all about your experiences. Smile

As it turns out, one of the normal staff told me that due to the stress and not being able to deal with how the convention was being run, as well as dealing with attendees, they sent a lot of volunteers home. I can imagine they'd do that. Like Lord Robin said in one of his posts, they need to get professional staffers who know how to deal with this kind of convention. If you're going to treat people like crap, why did you volunteer in the first place?
tenton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
catsspat wrote:
--snip--
kingofkaraoke wrote:
She did, however, agreed to hold her concert, although she warned at her focus panel that even that could possibly be canceled (the day of, Monday) as well.

--snip--
kingofkaraoke wrote:
The reason for the cancellation of her other appearances was, obviously, to give her some time to prepare for her concert that was going to take place days earlier than when she had expected (and was contracted) to do.

I know a lot of people were shocked for obvious reasons. I was shocked at the translator. I probably should have shouted out, but oh well.

Although I was disappointed with that particular translator more than once, I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I think he just needs to be a tiny bit more serious about his work (and take notes during events, too). It's not an easy job, you know. I just wanted to point out some facts to prevent misinformation from flying around too much.

And I also don't have anything against kingofkaraoke. After all, that's what was said in English. However, throwing around a word like "contracted" is not a good idea in my opinion. Personally, I don't see any relevance with any contracts and what happened at AX.

As for why I can remember exact words that were spoken, well, that should be obvious. No, I'm not releasing it in any form. They're going to sit in my encrypted partition and most likely become unretrievable when I die. Just to be clear, it's audio only.

--rich

To be honest, hearing the whole statement at the panel, I understood it as how you're translating it (I don't speak enough Japanese to be that useful). I understood it as that she wasn't confident that she could do the concert like she wanted it, if things continued on their way. The translator might have translated that statement a bit harshly (and shocked me for a moment), but the continuing statements led me to believe that there was still going to be a concert (and that they were going to prepare as much as possible for that).

And also, to be clear, for those not at the panel, she didn't cry while she was saying that; she cried after the Q&A session; I believe it was because of some of the gifts that people were giving her. IIRC, the last thing she was saying right before she started crying was something about meeting a particular fan in person, but I could be wrong. I don't think the start of the tears were because of the frustration, at the panel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8