• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meet ANN---Manga Style

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote
Name: Aila
Pets: 6 cats, 5 dogs, 3 turtles
Ethnicity: Lithuainian/English/Scottish/German
Marital Status: Single
Religion: ... Lokean I suppose, but I dislike organized religion.
Drink or Smoke: smoke... but cigarretes are nasty
Favorite Food/Drink: Tazo Chai Frappachino or Green tea
Favorite Games: RPGs, and simulators like Princess Maker 2
Favorite Bands: Led Zepplin, Queen, My Chemical Romance, T Rex, Cab Calloway, Wolfmother, Muse, AC/DC
Favorite Anime: Utena
Favorite Movies: Star Wars, and anything by Jean-pierre Jeunet, Tarintino. Oh yeah.. Half Baked.
Favorite Manga: Mythical Detective Loki. I'm biased with my obsession of Norse Mythology. Fruits Basket too I suppose.
Favorite Manga Authors: Kaori Yuki, Yoshitoshi Abe, CLAMP
Favorite Type of Manga: things with pretty art, or psychological
Favorite Books/Comics: Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, and pretty much anything from Vertigo. I can't list just titles.
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Neil Gaiman, Robin Hobb, Thomas Harris, Jeff Lindsay, George R.R. Martin
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: The bookstore I work at. Employee discount! W00t!
Favorite Place to Read: in bed
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: Books - 7 I suppose, Manga - 12
Worst Manga/Book You've Read: I stop reading then and there and erase them all from memory. I have no clue. I read too much.
Other Hobbies: Drawing, reading, and looking up odd stuff on serial killers
Pet Peeves: people who don't have the will to actually live life
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
EDIT: Re-opened at the request of several users. If you guys want to use this thread for introductions in this forum, then be prepared to lose the existing sticky. Post feedback/opinions in this thread.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:10 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
EDIT: Re-opened at the request of several users. If you guys want to use this thread for introductions in this forum, then be prepared to lose the existing sticky. Post feedback/opinions in this thread.

Instead of making another thread to ask which people prefer I'll do it here. As Zalis said the thread is reopened in the interests of finding out what people prefer, the new intro thread that's more informative, or the original thread. For any who don't know the anime section just got a new intro thread very similar to this one. People thought it would be helpful if new posters made a more in depth introduction when starting here. The new one in the anime thread has since replaced the original intro thread in that section. So which would posters prefer, the original intro thread or the new more informative thread?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote
I personally like this thread more, because I honestly never even check the Introductions thread, but this one has some interest in it (so I'm glad to see it was reopened).

Name: I'm happily going by Marie here (though that is not my actual name)

Pets: one cat named Elphaba (my parents have a dog named Shadow that I also claim here)

Ethnicity: very white

Marital Status: very single

Religion: Christian

Drink or Smoke: Yes for drink, no for smoke

Favorite Food/Drink: bread, garlic, chocolate, cheese

Favorite Games: Phoenix Wright, Fire Emblem, the Sims 2

Favorite Bands: No Doubt, OLIVIA, Delirium, Evanescence

Favorite Anime: Wolf's Rain, Gunslinger Girl, Fushigi Yuugi, X-TV, Paradise Kiss, NANA

Favorite Movies: Gone with the Wind, Moulin Rouge!, Love Actually, The Holiday, When Harry Met Sally, The Last Unicorn, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings

Favorite Manga: NANA, Alice 19th, Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden, Dramacon, xxxHolic, Chobits, Imadoki!

Favorite Manga Authors: Watase Yuu, Yazawa Ai, CLAMP

Favorite Type of Manga: shoujo goodness!

Favorite Books/Comics: Gone with the Wind, White Oleander, Green Grass Running Water, Kushiel's Legacy series, Sevenwaters Trilogy, Changing Heaven, Wuthering Heights

Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Jacqueline Carey, Emily Bronte, Jane Urquhart, Juliet Marillier

Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: Chapters

Favorite Place to Read: My bed

When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: I've read books all my life, manga I started in first year of university, so uh 2003-2004.

Worst Manga/Book You've Read: Tarot Cafe

Other Hobbies: writing, drawing, spending too much time on the internet, rpging

Pet Peeves: people who don't know how to properly use an apostrophe
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
So which would posters prefer, the original intro thread or the new more informative thread?

I prefer this new thread to the original introduction thread. It's more informative, and it gives more structure to the responses as well. The original introduction thread is also insanely long, and I never checked it after posting to it. This one is more interesting, I think.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
I myself prefer using this one by losing the old one, that's why I brought the idea up in the first place. Like the anime thread, it would be more informative, and gives users an incentive to actually make a decent post versus one liners, which is a majority of what I've seen in the other thread.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I rarely read the sticky threads so I guess I prefer this one. Plus, this style is interesting and It's fun to read everyones.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I also prefer this thread, since it's so thorough. And it's fun to read too.

Name: Caitlin
Pets: Orange female tabby named Amber
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Marital Status: single
Religion: Technically Catholicism, though my beliefs are all over the place
Drink or Smoke: Nope
Favorite Food/Drink: Umm, hard to decide... I really like lampchops, goat cheese, eel, mangoes, and ice cream. I only drink water.
Favorite Games: Old platform games! Like Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, most Mario games... I also like Pokemon and some N64 platformers like Banjo-Kazooie. Don't really like RPGs for some reason.
Favorite Bands: I dunno. Does Enigma count as a band?
Favorite Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion and almost anything Gainax, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Miyazaki movies, Satoshi Kon movies, Ergo Proxy, Zoids, Abenobashi, Now and Then, Here and There...
Favorite Movies: I don't watch much live-action, but Labryinth was pretty good, I guess...
Favorite Manga: Shonen! Especially Naruto, One Piece, Inu-yasha (mostly a guilty pleasure at this point. -_-) Hoshin Engi. Also, Maison Ikkoku, Nausicaa, Phoenix by Osamu Tezuka, Monster, To Terra, and Excel Saga.
Favorite Manga Authors: Rumiko Takahashi, Ryu-something (guy who did Hoshin Engi), Osamu Tezuka
Favorite Type of Manga: Shonen
Favorite Books/Comics: I like epic anything, especially old epic poetry. Gilgamesh and Beowulf, for example... And I also love Journey to the West. British, French and Russian lit in general: Count of Monte Cristo is my all-time favorite novel, followed by War and Peace and David Copperfield. Fave comics include Sandman, Bone, most things by Alan Moore and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Charles Dickens, Neil Gaiman, Alexandre Dumas, Brian Jacques,
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: ecampus.com
Favorite Place to Read: A couch
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: Four-five years ago, with a random Zoids manga
Worst Manga/Book You've Read: .hack//Legend of the Twilight was pretty bad
Other Hobbies: Cycling, bird-watching, writing, painting, spacing out at inopportune moments
Pet Peeves: None really, I'm a hard person to piss off.

Last edited by Dranxis on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
aa

Last edited by Drowning_Wolf on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
coffee and maple syrup? sounds actually yummy! Coffee and Bailey's is good but haven't tried maple syrup. (I drink maple syrup straight sometimes. Not a lot, just like 50mL)
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It is, it is. I tried it for the first in a sugar house, at that time I didn't liked coffee, to attenuate the taste I added sugar then brown sugar and then maple syrup, I got so sick! So I sticked with only one ingredient in my coffee. But drinking maple syrup straight, Laughing, I'll try that!
Treetastic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Name: Got one, thanks.
Pets: Two bruises on hand- Dylan and Bob.
Ethnicity: Engish/Italian. Britalian.
Marital Status: Ask me when I'm married.
Religion: Sarcasm.
Drink/Smoke: Water/kerosene.
Favorite Food/Drink: Yes.
Favorite Games: Mind games.
Favorite Bands: Elastic, marching, of robbers.
Favorite Anime: Cowboy Bebop, Kino's Jouney, Detective Conan, Haibane Renmei, Rose of Versailles, Trigun.
Favorite Movies: Charade, Charlie Brown Christmas, Doctor Who and the Daleks, Ikiru, Little Miss Sunshine, Man Who Would Be King, the Sherlock Holmes movies (all of them), The Sixth Sense. Etc. Wink
Favorite Manga: Akira, Death Note, Detective Conan/Magic Kaitou, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hi No Tori, Last Quarter, Naru Taru, Short Program, Yotsuba&!.
Favorite Manga Authors: Mitsuru Adachi, Mohiro Kitoh, Katsushiro Otomo, Osamu Tezuka, Ai Yazawa
Favorite Type of Manga: Short story, myster(y/ious), dramatic adventure, comedy, science fiction.
Favorite Books/Comics: The Count of Monte Christo, Hitchhiker's Guide, Mediagate, The Princess and the Goblin, Runaways, Chequebooks.
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Douglas Adams, Alexandre Dumas, Alan Moore, Agatha Christie, George MacDonald.
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: Amazon, local comic shop which would come next alphabetically, eCampus, Tonkam.
Favorite Place to Read: Subway station walls.
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: When I was ten/before I was four (not sure about exact dates).
Worst Manga/Book You've Read: How to Draw Manga (it was both a manga AND a book, and terrible in both regards).
Other Hobbies: Lurking, thinking, procrastinating.
Pet Peeves: People who use apostrophes for plural words (apostrophe's), and/or those who tell them to correct their "grammer". The L key on my keyboard that keeps refusing to work, and when I use the word 'I' too many times in a sentence (gah! it's happening again!).
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Name: EVA fiend. Heh, sorry but I make it a point not to post my real name anywhere online.

Pets: None, unless my hubby counts. Anime hyper

Ethnicity: British born Chinese (1st gen).

Marital Status: Married, for over 8 years.

Religion: Hmm, agnostic I'd suppose, though my family is Christian.

Drink or Smoke: I haven't had a drink since I was at uni, when I realised that I was gonna fail my degree if I couldn't make my morning lectures. I smoke like a chimney though.

Favorite Food/Drink: Noodles, be it ramen, chow mein, ho fun, etc. I love sushi too.

Favorite Games: Texas hold-em poker, mah jong, Disgaea, Bust-A-Move, Super Puzzle Fighter, SimCity (currently playing the DS version), & the Final Fantasy series.

Favorite Bands: Can't say that I have any anymore as I listen to anime OSTs & 80's Cantopop these days.

Favorite Anime: Evangelion (what a surprise!), Revolutionary Girl Utena, Haibane Renmei, Mai-HiME to name but a few.

Favorite Movies: If I had to pick it would be the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Favorite Manga: Appleseed (Shirow's best manga work IMO, what a pity that both the 1988 OAV & the 2004 movie were kack), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (so much more in depth & gripping than the movie), & Battle Angel Alita.

Favorite Manga Authors: Masamune Shirow is my fave manga author, it's a shame that he hasn't written any new material in years. Sad Yukito Kishiro comes in at a close second. And if doujinshi counts, then US fan artist Lone Wolf & the Japanese Tours author/s(?) are definate favourites for enriching ShizNat fandom. Anime catgrin

Favorite Type of Manga: Action orientated I think.

Favorite Books/Comics: 1984 by George Orwell, even though it was originally written & published in 1949 (IIRC), Orwell's vision of the new world order is very much in evidence today. Used to be a HUGE fan of the Uncanny X-Men; I have a complete run from issue 94-360 upstairs under the bed, along with most of the spin-off series (The X-Men, New Mutants, X-Factor, X-Calibur, Wolverine, etc).

Favorite Non-Manga Authors: George Orwell, David Eddings (though only his eariler stuff), Elaine Cunningham. And if fanfiction counts, then I tip my hat to the following authors; LeeT911, Shigan, Ange Sinistre, Kiyohime, paxbanana, Jen-chan & nytecat.

Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: Amazon.

Favorite Place to Read: Anywhere that's comfortable.

When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: First started reading manga back in the late 80's, when I picked up the first Appleseed issue by Eclipse Comics, & Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. As for first book, probably Meg & Mog or Janet & John. *lmao* Otherwise it's The Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl.

Worst Manga/Book You've Read: Probably Blood the Last Vampire 2002. The story is okay, but I found the artwork to be horrible.

Other Hobbies: Cookery, recurve target archery, ancient history, playing video games, singing/karaoke.

Pet Peeves: Prejudice, in all it's forms, be it racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. MMORPG's, primarily because it's destroyed too many of my RL friends' relationships. Dealing with sodding paperwork & red tape at work. The damn cult of celebrity - why are people obsessed with someone who is famous for solely being famous?!? And I hate spiders, they just give me the creeps - I get rid of them by standing on a chair & dropping a telephone book on them. Heh. Oh, & I hate so-called 1337 speak on forums - what's so 1337 about substituting numbers for letters?! Rolling Eyes
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Name: CloverKuroba
Age: 13-16. You'll never know my exact age, but I can say that I'm a bit younger than a lot of you. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop But please do not treat me like a child.
Pets: A ginger cat.
Ethnicity: Biracial (black/white)
Religion: Agnostic, though I affiliate as a christian/jew.
Drink/Smoke: Nope.
Favorite Food/Drink: Chinese food, japanese food, indian food (especially curry and naan), chai tea, milkshakes, cake, ice cream.
Favorite Games: Mario Tennis 64, Pokemon Gold, The Harvest Moon series, Kingdom Hearts, Okami, Kirby 64, FF: Tactics Advance, The Sims: Pets, etc...
Favorite Bands: advantage Lucy, The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Judy and Mary, etc...
Favorite Anime: Fruits Basket, Kodocha, Princess Tutu, Kaleido Star, Azumanga Daioh, Kino's Journey, Ouran High School Host Club, Manabi Straight, Honey and Clover, Nanaka 6/17, ARIA the Animation, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, etc...
Favorite Movies: The Girl who Leapt through time, Most Studio Ghibli films, Napoleon Dynamite, Best of Youth, Probably the upcoming Futurama movies, Linda, Linda, Linda, Little Miss Sunshine, Spiderman, etc..
Favorite Manga: Azumanga Daioh, Nodame Cantabile, Fruits Basket, Ranma 1/2, Full Moon o Sagashite, Gunslinger Girl, Yotsuba&, Strawberry Marshmallow, Case Closed, Beauty Pop, Aishiteruze Baby, etc...
Favorite Manga Authors: Kiyohiko Azuma, Miho Obana, Natsuki Takaya, Gosho Aoyama, Arina Tanemura, etc...
Favorite Type of Manga: Seinen, Josei, Shojo, some Shonen.
Favorite Books/Comics: Two many books to count, but I like the comics Persepolis and Maus.
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: Haruki Murakami, Pat Conroy.
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kinokuniya, and Borders.
Favorite Place to Read: At Home.
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: When I was ten/before I was four (not sure about exact dates).
Worst Manga/Book You've Read: Reborn or Gentlemen's Alliance Cross (GAC was really disappointing)
Other Hobbies: Reading, writing, going on the computer, drawing, etc...
Pet Peeves: Rude people, racists, slobs, and the like.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Here's my post from the Anime Forum version, but with new information added to the bottom:

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Name: Kelley A. McClure
Religion: N/A
Drink / Smoke: That's not cool, guys. Wink
Favorite Anime: Link
Favorite Manga: Link
Favorite Games: The Ace Attorney series, the Pokémon series, and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
Favorite Music: Most J-Pop/Rock, but I also like a lot of other music. Well, anything that's not country or rap. Don't get me wrong, some rap is okay (this includes hip-hop), but most of it's actually not okay.
Favorite Non-Anime: Artemis Fowl (series)--yes, I know it's a "children's book," but it's the best read ever. Some other books include Colors of the Mountain, Frankenstein, The Count of Monte Cristo, Watership Down, and The Alchemist. I also like The Lord of the Rings (movie series).
Favorite Food / Drink: Mountain Dew (duh), vanilla ice cream, strawberry ice cream, banana ice cream, mac & cheese / all pasta.
Education: Freshman, NC State University, College of Design; Major: Graphic Design.
Dislikes: A lot, surprisingly.
Hobbies: I don't know myself well enough, obviously. I can add collecting bookmarks for now.
Fun Facts: Meh, "Aromatic Grass" is NOT the username I would prefer to use ever! Just call me Ko-chan. (That's not really a fun fact, is it?)

Pets: I used to have a cat named Crystal, but she died...sadness. Although he isn't mine, my brother owns a dog named Xander. I guess that counts.
Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Favorite Bands: There are a few, but none are coming to mind. At least, I can't seem to pick out my favorites.
Favorite Movies: Mentioned under 'Favorite Non-Anime' as the Lord of the Rings series.
Favorite Manga Authors: Masashi Kishimoto and a few others. My favorite artist is Range Murata.
Favorite Type of Manga: Pretty much anything as long as it's good, but my favorite genres are retro-futuristic and slice of life. (Examples of retro-futuristic series include Aria and Last Exile, although that's not a manga.)
Favorite Books/Comics: Also mentioned under 'Favorite Non-Anime' as Artemis Fowl (series) and Frankenstein (novel). I'm also enjoying Eragon, which I know is compared a lot to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.
Favorite Non-Manga Authors: ...Uh, I'm lacking in names here...
Favorite Bookstore/Website To Buy From: Borders / Waldenbooks, normally, but my favorite place to import is Sasuga Japanese Bookstore.
Favorite Place to Read: Place...? My room.
When Did You Start Reading Manga/Books: Uhm...between 2000 to 2001, I think.
Worst Manga/Book You've Read: Most of the manga I read are generally good, so just look under My Manga to see which ones I've rated badly.
Other Hobbies: Not much, but I love to draw.
Pet Peeves: Lots, actually. Especially bad grammar.

Most updated Anime Forum profile with all my pictures.

Last edited by Aromatic Grass on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18