• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop back from the dead?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:27 am Reply with quote
I noted they have an AX panel where they claim they'll be making 'announcements'.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
Gawd.... I feel like Stu Levy himself is the part of Tokyopop most of us disliked. I'm curious if he'll just be trying to get attention to what, but we'll find out in a month. Perhaps he's actually releasing that movie he was supposedly making about the Tsunami?
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
I'm intrigued but not hopeful.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
They haven't exactly been dead for a while now. They've still been working with Right Stuf on the print-on-demand Hetalia books past vol. 2 (which is where TP "died" at).

The announcement is probably another series that they'll be working with TSRI on.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see Tokyopop come back (BLU releases!) or a new publisher in hopes more titles are licenced in English but I don't really see TP making any kind of significant recovery. I hope I'm wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
There are quite a few manga series that Tokyo Pop killed in mid stream that I would like to see rescued and completed. As far as Tokyo Pop and its management is concerned, I hope they will never be more relevant and present in the manga world than they are now. They have nothing more to contribute.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
If they do make a proper comeback, I doubt they'll be able to continue where they left off. Noteworthy titles were picked up by other publisher and I imagine they aren't on great terms with some licensors after their weird 'death'.

Quote:
Join “Stu & the Crew” (Stu Levy and Team TOKYOPOP) for some cool announcements

I think I'm gonna barf...
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
im not expecting much, wouldn't trust stu to guard a warm cup of piss yet alone manage a publisher again.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
They've been on life support for a long time and it's about time someone pulled the plug. Their release of Hetalia ruined that manga's chances of getting into libraries. I just wish they'd drop it, let someone else rescue it, and finally go away for good.

Yet, a part of me is hopeful that they can still bring over some manga no one else would...that they could still do some good in the world. Stop getting my hopes up, Tokyopop! It's not fair to keep manga fans dangling like this!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Via @debaoki:
Quote:
Ran into Stu fr. @TOKYOPOP last night & he said he has some new title news to share at his SAT panel @ 6pm / rm 28DE http://sched.co/3lMa

So, more OEL stuff? Rolling Eyes
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I sincerely hope no artist is stupid enough to work with them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
According to a news article on the front page here TP is apparently trying to do something with Disney. I'd bet Disney has the nastiest lawyers so it should be interesting to see the fallout when that fails.

Really the only thing TP ever did successfully was localize manga for the English speaking audience. Unfortunately they have burnt their bridges with most of the major Japanese manga publishers. If they ever get any of them to work with them again someone will be due an award for hot salesman of the year.

Fortunately it is very unlikely that anything I want will come out under the Tokyo Pop name. I certainly don't trust them to put out volume 2 of anything.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
For me the only good thing Tokyo Pop did was release Fruits Basket.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1