• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman and the Column of Doom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:46 pm Reply with quote
"Let's just say it like it is. Zac's response to this question was unprofessional, pure and simple. You can't do public relations type work (which the column is) and use anything except the most diplomatic of language."

Again with the made-up journalism rules. Tell me, what do you know about professionalism?

Answerman is a Q&A column that could basically be published on any news site. It is not listed as being the public opinion of Anime News Network. It is, very clearly, an opinion column; frequently, Dear Abby is fairly harsh with her readers (the same as any other advice columnist) in order to make a point. Does the newspaper get hate mail when an advice columnist goes off on someone? No. Usually they get more readers. Answerman is representative of me, my opinion, what I know, and nothing more.

Many of you (all of the hate mail I get presumes to tell me what my column should and shouldn't be) think that somehow you know better than I do what my column should be. It is not your place to tell me what kind of content I'm "supposed" to have. It also is not your place to tell me how to conduct myself.

Answerman never has been and never will be a simple "information" column. It is designed to do two things: educate and entertain. Ms. Answerman puts the emphasis on educating, I put the emphasis on entertaining. I always have, and I always will. Go back and read my other columns, and tell me that they were all pure information; I don't write dry, boring, white-washed, "professional" columns. My writing for magazines and other publications - and my reviews - are all suitably "professional", at least in the eyes of my editors and readers. Answerman, however, is my domain; it's a place for me to not only answer the many questions people have, but it's also a sounding board. Do not ever get the presumption that somehow you have the authority to tell me what my column should and shouldn't be. Answerman has absolutely NOTHING to do with public relations, and since you so clearly think so, that to me is proof that you have ridiculous expectations based on a severe lack of knowledge about the column and its history.

In short, you can take your vague, undefinable, use-it-when-it-suits-you definition of professionalism, and go jump.

I hope I wasn't too unprofessional just then.

-Zac
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Nicely said, Zac. I used to do the writing thing back in the day, and I had an opinion column that ran along with my news stories. The tone in opinion column was always off-the-wall, non sequitur and a little subversive. My editor knew that and gave me pretty big license to do as I pleased, and only reigned me in when I went completely off-kilter.

Bottom line is that news 'n' reviews are one thing, columns are another. I don't think I'm saying anything here that isn't already pretty obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, half the fun of the answerman collum are the the comments they give *the other half the stupid questions that pop up once in a while*. Since when has it ever been serious?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
...we are all connected, in the great Circle of Life.

Hahaha...that was great...just great. Laughing
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ZacAnswerman wrote:
never has been and never will be a simple "information" column. It is designed to do two things: educate and entertain. Ms. Answerman puts the emphasis on educating, I put the emphasis on entertaining.

Then I'd like to place my vote for educate. And in the opinion of this reader, I don't think "Answerman" is entertaining or funny. Anime fandom has been making fun of itself for quite awhile now, and its getting a bit tired.

(Ok, I will admit I did like Answercat.)
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:07 pm Reply with quote
ex_mutants wrote:

Then I'd like to place my vote for educate. And in the opinion of this reader, I don't think "Answerman" is entertaining or funny. Anime fandom has been making fun of itself for quite awhile now, and its getting a bit tired.

(Ok, I will admit I did like Answercat.)

I don't see why it matters. Zac doesn't (actively) write the column anymore. Rebecca does. So, if you don't like Zac's style of writing and you happen to notice that he wrote a column one week, don't friggin read it. I do like Zac's writing style and I also like Rebecca's writing style. That is why I can enjoy the column no matter which of them writes it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:19 pm Reply with quote
"And in the opinion of this reader, I don't think "Answerman" is entertaining or funny."

Ouch.

You made Answercat Jr. cry.

-Z
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, I cast a vote of confidence for "pissy Zac" over "nice Zac" since "pissy" is so much more amusing to read. But, for that matter, I still like the old Love Hina review at IGN, even though I'm a fan of at least one of the series whose fans the writer was decrying. I just didn't take it personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nyana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:51 pm Reply with quote
It is obvious answerman has a good fan base in this forum. Maybe is because most here share his sense of humor, or maybe because most just follow the almighty answerman blindly. The point is he will continue to bash with no avail to most because he seems to think he is some sort of superior anime fan, and because the other moderators will also allow him to do so. Its funny how this site is so controlling about what the fans write, when one of their own is constantly lashing out at the fans. I also agree with answerman that most frantic anime fans do give the anime community a bad name; however I don’t see how his rude, immature, pretentious, snotty attitude helps anime fans achieve a better image. Setting professionalism aside I have to say your(answerman) rants are boring and immature and totally unnecessary. I do like some of your ideas and you are interesting at times but the image you present most of the time really deters your credibility and maturity. So do some of us a favor and GROW UP and let us enjoy your true potential as a writer.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac: You may as well stop posting, you know it's that time:-p

I happen to be the unfortunate git that has to edit Answerman, I also proposed the column in the first place many moons ago. What I had in mind was a purely informative and dry column. What I got was a sarcastic and sardonic column, and for a long time I worried about that... it is after all my job to worry about things like that.

But then one day it just ocurred to me that I had been reading a very similar column (but on a very different topic) for years, and enjoying it very much. Fact is, when people asked this particular columnist a stupid question, she made a fool of them. But she also gave them the answer.

So, from there I was able to give me the editor the same outlook as me the reader. I still tone Zac down a bit from time to time... and sometimes (well, twice in 150 columns) I suggest he be a bit nastier. But as long as Zac answers the questions, he's doing his job.

If the way he does it is entertaining, then that's bonus. And he is entertaining....

Some people may not appreciate it, but then I merely suggest they don't read. Answerman is not indicative of this website. Take any Newspaper or magazine that your frequently read & enjoy, and I guarantee you it will have at least one regular feature that you don't read because you don't like it.

No need for our troll (Patrick) to comment here.

-t
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:16 am Reply with quote
nyana wrote:
Its funny how this site is so controlling about what the fans write, when one of their own is constantly lashing out at the fans.

>.> I think the fans are well aware of what they're asking for when sending in questions to Answerman. They'd have to be an idiot to not expect what comes with the answer. It's sort of a question at your own risk type of thing...
nyana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
>.> I think the fans are well aware of what they're asking for when sending in questions to Answerman. They'd have to be an idiot to not expect what comes with the answer. It's sort of a question at your own risk type of thing...

I think you give anime fans too much credibility.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:29 pm Reply with quote
nyana wrote:
Quote:

I think you give anime fans too much credibility.

If they're dumb enough to send in a question before actually reading anything from answerman, they deserve to be made fun of.
Ryuko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If they're dumb enough to send in a question before actually reading anything from answerman, they deserve to be made fun of.

I agree. I make it a point to search through the article archives and actually LOOK for an answer before I even think of sending an email to the answerman/woman/cat/cat jr./etc. And even though some may think that Zac's answer was a little harsh, if those people had read his previous articles, they'd see that he was actually being, if not nice, at least nicer than he could have been.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I find the screencaps and comments paticularly funny, but the responses can be quite entertaining, and the question even moreso.

TO all those who cry for professionalism... you honestly think the internet is about being serious? silly people
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3