• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megatokyo to Publish in Japan via Kodansha

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

Though, I'm actually kinda wondering what they call American comic books in Japan now.

Sometimes "manga," sometimes "comicsu"

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
tempest:
Quote:
Dark Horse has been placing graphic novels in book stores since before you entered pre-school ,

More like elementary school. And I never once saw a DH title in a bookstore until the Sin City movies. Unless you count their occasional Astro Boy, Akira, and Lone Wolf and Cub manga, they pretty much stuck it out with the comic book store market even past the point of profitability.

Quote:
and you say they don't know the market?

Judging by the fact that most of their biggest titles are being published by DMP and not them-especially now that the Shirow re-prints are on hold-I'd say yes.

Quote:
Paying your bandwidth through DVD sales? That's not very impressive. It takes a lot more than that to be "big." I certainly hope that they have managed to make more money than that.

Well, let me know when Protoculture Addicts will make enough dough for you to keep those streaming files of AX uploaded longer than a month.

Quote:

With some 50 000+ copies sold, Broken Saints is indeed successful, but it should be noted that the total sales of Megatokyo volume 1-5 exceed 50,000 copies as well.

So at its current price point, Broken Saints made more money than one volume of MT.

Quote:
CMX's treatment of TenTen, which I highly disapprove of, is pretty much unrelated to this issue. If you want to hate a company over their treatment of 1 product,

It's not just one product.

Kyuu:
Quote:
It wasn't fun. It was difficult. Here, we have Fred creating his own product, marketing and selling it.

Technically, he's a co-creator.

Quote:
Doing something like that takes guts - the kind of guts 95% of us do not have.

Taking a chance on something different instead of palatable is when you have guts.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Everyone please stop arguing with Gatsu. Please. It's only going to get worse. Just don't respond.

It's like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. If you don't make any noise or sudden movement he won't see you.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
It wasn't fun. It was difficult. Here, we have Fred creating his own product, marketing and selling it.

Technically, he's a co-creator.

LOL. Technically, Largo is gone. Razz Razz

Zac wrote:
Everyone please stop arguing with Gatsu. Please.

Yea, this is the last comment I'll make on him.

The Xenos wrote:
Let me try another example. A bunch of white suburban kids are into rap and hip hop. They're blissfully ignorant. They listen to some low brow music. They go around calling themselves by 'the N-word' with no real concept of its history. They go around saying they're from 'the street', when they're really from the suburbs. Do they have the right to do that?

At the same time -- they're scared of the very same streets they're mimicking. If I drive around the Chicago area -- I'll be able to find some. To answer your question -- yes. They do have the right to make themselves White Niggas. From da suburban hood yo. Word!

For a more related example -- how about all those white anime fans who dream (or actually go) to Japan - wearing kimonos -- and literally turning Japanese like that one 80's song describes. I have a white friend in particular who's Japan this, Japan that. Everything she thinks about is Japan. To that, I say, "Girl, cut it a break". BUT - she has every right to pretend to be a Japanese. Despite being a white girl.

This is not the girl in question. But, here's a white girl in a kimono:
http://www.sailornaboo.com/sakuracon2002/kimono_front.jpg

Furthermore, the Japanese celebrate Christmas. However, roughly 2% of Japanese are actually Christian. Is it right for them to celebrate Christmas? Of course. They can if they want to.

And by the way -- many of us can tell the different between European Eurobeat and Japanese Eurobeat. However, they're both Eurobeat as far as we're concerned. Do I give a crap? No. I like my musics -- regardless of where they come from.

Point: Cultural terms, media, traditions, and distinctions are FLUID. Always have. Always will be. Geographical "origin" of a medium will always be noted -- but -- it becomes moot once that medium spreads.

After all - animation is likely an American invention. (Oh, nevermind. It was in Argentina.) It just happened to spread into Japan.

===

While we're at it -- Does anyone have a problem with this!?
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40333

No one? Good. Laughing
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Also, why does Megatokyo get coverage on ANN meanwhile DC's new Minx imprint of comics for girls doesn't? Minx is clearly another attempt, like MegaTokyo, to get the attention of manga fans. Specifically, it's DC comics trying to make their own shojo line.

Because Megatokyo is about, geared towards, and of interest to anime and manga fans.

Minx isn't about anime fans, Minx isn't geared towards anime fans (where'd you get that idea) and our readers have not expressed any particular interest in Minx.

Well that's the trick, isn't it. Maybe they haven't expressed interest because they don't know about it. You are a news outlet. This is one place where they hear about new books.

How does one gear toward anime fans? Insert random cliches and stereotypes and in jokes? Funny, I thought a good story was what they would be looking for instead of lame in jokes. Sadly, it seems the latter is what sells to too many anime fans.

Really, Minx books are just as good or better than MegaTokyo. All they need are an audience. Never mind some of the other books by some of their creators. My Faith in Frankie from Vertigo is by some of the same creators and is kinda like Ah My Goddess!. Well, except for going on forever. Street Angel from SLG by another creator and that's a wonderful and wacky comic about a homeless girl on a skateboard that fights crime. Plus it has ninjas. That makes it manga, right? Wink

Hell, if Avril's comic book posing as manga gets noticed, this excellent book should too. I had to laugh when I saw that book in Japanese as well as her CD while over in Japan. Is it manga now? Of course, that same month I bought a comic book from SLG by the same artist. Oh and that's another one, SLG's Nightmares and Fairy Tales. It has the same artist, right now, as Avril's 'manga'. Though before this they had other artists, most notably Singaporean artist FSc (Foo Swee Chin).

These books are good for anime fans... if you know, they like good stories and not just cliches and inside jokes.

Of course, it's also the publishers. Just because a publisher isn't pestering you with news releases, that doesn't mean to ignore it. I guess that's where fans like myself would help to get series noticed.

tempest wrote:
DKL wrote:

Though, I'm actually kinda wondering what they call American comic books in Japan now.

Sometimes "manga," sometimes "comicsu"

-t

Yup. That what I heard from my Japanese teacher. Didn't see much American books when I went on vacation in Tokyo. I did see figures and stuff. Then again, I wasn't looking for US books. I did notice the interesting fact that a number of companies that publish the takubon, collected editions, had the word comics in their name.

tempest wrote:

unnamed Tokyopop Employee wrote:
Everything we publish is manga.

Ha. Well, they can keep telling themselves that. They can keep telling their readers that. I'm not buying it and I hope their readers know better. It goes without saying it serves TokyoPop's best interest if everyone just believes this.. viewpoint. I would say lie, but it is debatable. I debate that it's not true. It's an over simplification of language that is quite self serving.

KyuuA4 wrote:
For a more related example -- how about all those white anime fans who dream (or actually go) to Japan - wearing kimonos -- and literally turning Japanese like that one 80's song describes.

Actually.. just so you know.. that song was about.. masturbation. shh. See you're eyes get squinty like a terrible Asian stereotype when you.. you know what.. never mind I said it.

Anyway, wearing a kimono (which actually comes from the Greek language Rolling Eyes ) isn't bad. Saying you're Japanese just because you do is. Going around cons spouting random Japanese phrases and thinking you're actually speaking the language is also an unhealthy problem.

Quote:

Furthermore, the Japanese celebrate Christmas. However, roughly 2% of Japanese are actually Christian. Is it right for them to celebrate Christmas? Of course. They can if they want to.

They can if they want to. They're still wrong. They're still clueless and don't know what they're talking about. That reminds me of this subway ad for The Passion of the Christ DVD.

source link

Um.. you wanna tell them how full of crap and just wrong they are.. or should I?

Quote:

And by the way -- many of us can tell the different between European Eurobeat and Japanese Eurobeat. However, they're both Eurobeat as far as we're concerned. Do I give a crap? No. I like my musics -- regardless of where they come from.

Tell that to the European Eurobeat artists who are ignored for Japanese 'Eurobeat'.

Quote:
Point: Cultural terms, media, traditions, and distinctions are FLUID. Always have. Always will be. Geographical "origin" of a medium will always be noted -- but -- it becomes moot once that medium spreads.

After all - animation is likely an American invention. (Oh, nevermind. It was in Argentina.) It just happened to spread into Japan.

===

While we're at it -- Does anyone have a problem with this!?
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40333

No one? Good. Laughing

Um.. yeah. I do. These people should be learning how to work in their country of origin and where they live. They shouldn't be trying to get Japan's attention. Really, it's not a healthy way to learn, trying to break into a business that exists halfway across the world and not even try to learn what's going on where you actually live.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Xenos wrote:
Um.. you wanna tell them how full of crap and just wrong they are.. or should I?

By the way, through Facebook, I've been going after Christians. With that Passion of the Christ ad -- it looks like a bleak attempt at trying to increase the conversion of Christianity into Japan.

Or, Hollywood's just trying to make a quick buck by attempting to relate the story of Christ to the average Japanese business person.

Anyways, I'm an Agnostic. I don't give a crap about that -- though I find it rather amusing.

===

Going back to Christmas. I don't even recognize it as a Christian holiday anymore. It can keep its name "Christmas". However, the meaning behind it among people changed. Instead of this Jesus story -- people look more into Christmas about giving/receiving presents, increased commercial marketing, people coming together to do these things, etc.

Point: Cultural meanings change.

Xenos wrote:
Um.. yeah. I do. These people should be learning how to work in their country of origin and where they live. They shouldn't be trying to get Japan's attention. Really, it's not a healthy way to learn, trying to break into a business that exists halfway across the world and not even try to learn what's going on where you actually live.

And being an Agnostic -- I'm in favor of multiculturalism and free-flow of information. It's how we break down these artificial cultural barriers.

Business expanding into a foreign market. That's all part of Capitalism. It's nothing new. It happens all the time. If it's truly a problem, the complain to McDonald's or Coca-Cola. Oh wait, they've been tapping foreign markets for more than 30 years now.

Fred has had well 7 years of experience tapping into the American and Canadian market.

===

By the way (as I write my posts) I tend to skip around.

===

OK. I re-read this:
Xenos wrote:
Um.. yeah. I do. These people should be learning how to work in their country of origin and where they live. They shouldn't be trying to get Japan's attention.

Kodansha is a Japanese company, expanding outward. As a business, it is in their best interest to be able to tap into foreign markets in order to increase revenue. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for contest participants -- well, it may seem they need to get Japan's attention. Tokyopop's been holding contests like this for years. The winners have gone onward to make their own published manga. Yes, I call it manga. However, look at how people reacted to that. It's negative.

Anyways, Kodansha offers an opportunity. Qualified people should take advantage of that.

In the Western market, it seems that the foreign (non-Japanese) manga artists are relegated to making Anime Convention logos or frowned upon for even attempting their own manga series. So, why not turn to Japan?

Xenos wrote:
Tell that to the European Eurobeat artists who are ignored for Japanese 'Eurobeat'.

Weird, isn't it? Laughing

Xenos wrote:
Actually.. just so you know.. that song was about.. masturbation. shh. See you're eyes get squinty like a terrible Asian stereotype when you.. you know what.. never mind I said it.

Yup. Everyone knows that. Still funny. Laughing

Xenos wrote:
Going around cons spouting random Japanese phrases and thinking you're actually speaking the language is also an unhealthy problem.

Indeed. We have a 4chan derogatory term for that problem.

===

Anyways. Does anyone here completely object to the idea of Fred Gallager reaching this milestone?

Granted, I have not kept up with Megatokyo since page 400 or so. Through Anime Central, I've attended his Naze Nani panel twice in 03 and 04. All I can say from that - he's a cool dude. Cool Cool
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="The Xenos"]
tempest wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Also, why does Megatokyo get coverage on ANN meanwhile DC's new Minx imprint of comics for girls doesn't? Minx is clearly another attempt, like MegaTokyo, to get the attention of manga fans. Specifically, it's DC comics trying to make their own shojo line.

Really, Minx books are just as good or better than MegaTokyo. All they need are an audience. Never mind some of the other books by some of their creators. My Faith in Frankie from Vertigo is by some of the same creators and is kinda like Ah My Goddess!. Well, except for going on forever. Street Angel from SLG by another creator and that's a wonderful and wacky comic about a homeless girl on a skateboard that fights crime. Plus it has ninjas. That makes it manga, right? Wink

Hell, if Avril's comic book posing as manga gets noticed, this excellent book should too. I had to laugh when I saw that book in Japanese as well as her CD while over in Japan. Is it manga now? Of course, that same month I bought a comic book from SLG by the same artist. Oh and that's another one, SLG's Nightmares and Fairy Tales. It has the same artist, right now, as Avril's 'manga'. Though before this they had other artists, most notably Singaporean artist FSc (Foo Swee Chin).

These books are good for anime fans... if you know, they like good stories and not just cliches and inside jokes.

I have to agree with Xenos here. If you guys are going to cover pseudo-manga crap like the Avril thing, some minx titles deserve equal recognition, if only just an occasional appearance in the "World Manga of the Month" section with RTO. We've been getting a bunch of advance readers of MINX at the bookstore I work, and they're great, and a lot of the titles are about as manga-influenced as any of the Ameri-manga things Tokyopop release. Plain Janes was an excellent slice of life, but some other titles, like Re-Gifters, definitely could appeal to the usual anime/manga fan. The art with Re-Gifters is heavily manga influenced (actually, it's a Singaporean artist, but still...), and the subject, well, a Korean American dirt poor girl lives in LA, and her only outlet is an ancient martial arts style, and she goes off trying to win some martial arts tournament, and then this surfer dude shows up to bring in the love conflict and... well it was enjoyable, and a heck of a lot better read than that Avril crap. The author is Mike Carey of Vertigo fame who has worked on such titles as Lucifer and Hellblazer/Constantine, and that alone makes the title something rather interesting in the comic community, since it is a GIRL comic.

That being said though, I don't know if I'd go so far as to call MINX an attempt to bring in all of the anime/manga fans. They're targeting at least the female manga/anime readers, but they're targeting girls in general due to the fact that manga has proven they're a market to tap into now.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well, let me know when Protoculture Addicts will make enough dough for you to keep those streaming files of AX uploaded longer than a month.

You have no clue what you're talking about. It's almost comical. You keep making assumptions about business, and you're more often wrong than right. Hearing you make comments about my business, something I definitely know more about than you, just cements this for me. The funny thing is that I've publicly shared enough info about PA and ANN for any person who has been paying attention to understand how wrong you are. Your credibility rating just reached absolute zero.

For the record the Boston videos are still up, and people still watch them every day.

Quote:
So at its current price point, Broken Saints made more money than one volume of MT.

Sales, yeah. But it didn't take 3 years to make 1 volume of MT.

KyuuA4 wrote:
Going back to Christmas. I don't even recognize it as a Christian holiday anymore. It can keep its name "Christmas". However, the meaning behind it among people changed. Instead of this Jesus story -- people look more into Christmas about giving/receiving presents, increased commercial marketing, people coming together to do these things, etc.
This is going way off-topic, but Christmas was never really a Christian Holiday to start off with. It was a Pagan Holiday that Christians added their own meaning to. And as you've pointed out, it has since grown into something completely different from either the original celebration or the Christian celebration.

So it really doesn't matter at this point if additional cultures want to celebrate "Santa Clause" and have another excuse to party and give gifts.

And hey, if they want to redefine the holiday for their own culture (ie: Kwanza, Festivus, etc...) that's their prerogative too.

So yeah, I agree with you, just wanted to add to what you said and clear up the "Christian" part.

The Xenos wrote:
Well that's the trick, isn't it. Maybe they haven't expressed interest because they don't know about it. You are a news outlet. This is one place where they hear about new books.
This is an anime news outlet. It's not our responsibility to introduce our readers to material that is non-topical. In fact, it's our responsibility to not annoy them with such content. If they want to know about new chick-lit, some of which is mildly influenced by manga, then they will go to Newsrama.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
If you guys are going to cover pseudo-manga crap like the Avril thing
We barely "covered" that. 1 news article, 2 press releases (which isn't "coverage") and Carlo's mention of it as "World Manga of the month." Personally I don't actually consider "5-wishes" world-manga (I also found it half-decent, despite my low expectations), but it's Carlo's column and he is entitled to include what he thinks appropriate (far be it for me to tell the creator of the term "OEL Manga" what is, and isn't "OEL Manga").

Quote:
manga has proven they're a market to tap into now.
I'm nopt going to disagree with this statement, because it is entirely true. But it's only one of several things that "proved" the value of this market. While manga has helped to show the validity of the female comic-book market, the chick-lit movement, which includes comics, predates the North American success of shoujo and is entirely independent of shoujo. Shoujo may have helped to show publishers that the market had potential, but the inverse is also true; Chick-lit is a hot market right now and it has influenced numerous publishers, particularly Tokyopop and Viz (I actually have had discussions with both companies about this) to license more mature shoujo / Josei. Regardless of whether or not shoujo manga helped to open up the market, it would be very inaccurate to claim that all the titles being published in this market right now are influenced (story or art-wise) by shoujo manga. Over-all, I consider Minx to be part of the ckick-lit market, and have nothing to do with Manga. Clearly some of the Minx titles are artistically influenced by manga, but then every single manga with wide-eyes is artistically influenced be 1920's American animation, and you certainly don't see "Disneyondvd.com" writing articles about Fullmetal Alchemist.

Finally, I would like to point out that quality of product, and our own approval (or disapproval) has nothing to do with our decisions of what to cover. It's only relevance that matters.

Once upon a time we reported on every single mention of anime and manga in mainstream press, regardless of whether the article was good, bad, interesting or whatever. The simple fact that it was covered in the press made it relevant news. Today that is no longer the case, however some articles are still relevant. It's up to the news editor (generally Egan) to decide what is and isn't relevant, unfortunately it's not always a clear decision. World-manga and other manga influenced or inspired comics fall into the same category, it's up to the news editor to figure out whether or not the titles are relevant, and how relevant.

Sadly to say, this discussion has taken up enough of my time at this point. Right now I should be editing a concert report, and this has delayed that. I also need to focus on Otakon preparations, so I will be removing myself from this discussion. Feel free to continue the discussion amongst yourselves as much as you want, some parts of it are rather interesting, but as far as what ANN covers, I stand behind the decision that Megatokyo being published in Japan was relevant, and various other examples were not.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
tempest:
Quote:
Sales, yeah. But it didn't take 3 years to make 1 volume of MT.

Perhaps, but it's taken that many years for Gallagher to continue the series.
Rolling Eyes
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="The Xenos"]
DKL wrote:
They have the right to take words from another culture and toss them around ignorantly?

Let me try another example. A bunch of white suburban kids are into rap and hip hop. They're blissfully ignorant. They listen to some low brow music. They go around calling themselves by 'the N-word' with no real concept of its history. They go around saying they're from 'the street', when they're really from the suburbs. Do they have the right to do that?

While it's not quite as bad as that, some of these self proclaimed 'otaku' seem to be doing the same thing. They want to be different from the culture around them, so they hijack someone else's, usually getting many things wrong. I think it's wrong not to correct them,

Man, I hate to burst your bubble, but YOU are the one taking a word from another culture and tossing it around ignorantly. In japan "Manga" is, like it or not, used to refer to any and all sequential art/comics/manga/manwa.

Don't throw stones at glass houses, man. Its a really bad idea.

Especially when your "example" sounds alot more like you than your opponents.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if this is a bit late, but I was away for a week.

Turkishproverb wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
]They have the right to take words from another culture and toss them around ignorantly?

While it's not quite as bad as that, some of these self proclaimed 'otaku' seem to be doing the same thing. They want to be different from the culture around them, so they hijack someone else's, usually getting many things wrong. I think it's wrong not to correct them,

Man, I hate to burst your bubble, but YOU are the one taking a word from another culture and tossing it around ignorantly. In japan "Manga" is, like it or not, used to refer to any and all sequential art/comics/manga/manwa.

Don't throw stones at glass houses, man. Its a really bad idea.

Especially when your "example" sounds alot more like you than your opponents.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Japan sometimes uses the English word 'comic' themselves. It's really about foreign words sounding trendy and helping to sell books. It works both ways.

Though, yes, they do use manga more and more proudly. It seems they actually take pride in their own country and language, unlike some anime fans and that get on my nerves. Be aware and proud of where you are. I like Japan too, but I am not from there and wouldn't label myself or my work that way.

I still don't see your point. Why should Americans use a Japanese name for an American product instead of using native English? Well, besides that the Japanese name has become a cool foreign buzzword and will make more money on bookshelves.
tempest wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
This is an anime news outlet. It's not our responsibility to introduce our readers to material that is non-topical. In fact, it's our responsibility to not annoy them with such content. If they want to know about new chick-lit, some of which is mildly influenced by manga, then they will go to Newsrama.

I don't see how MegaTokyo is more relevent than stuff from Minx. Does one book have to pose more Japanese than another to get noticed by anime fans? Why would posting Minx titles annoy ANN readers yet MegaTokyo doesn't? Personally, I am annoyed to hear about MegaTokyo here. Actually, it's more hearing about that and not others.

Again, I know it's a tough subject to deal with as a news outlet and sorting out what to report or not, but I don't see the distinction. I respectfully disagree with your inclusion of MegaTokyo, but not something like Minx.

Of course, I blame the publisher like DC for not going after news outlets like ANN with news about Minx. They shouldn't just target sites like Newsarama and CBR.
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I have to agree with Xenos here. If you guys are going to cover pseudo-manga crap like the Avril thing, some minx titles deserve equal recognition, if only just an occasional appearance in the "World Manga of the Month" section with RTO. We've been getting a bunch of advance readers of MINX at the bookstore I work, and they're great, and a lot of the titles are about as manga-influenced as any of the Ameri-manga things Tokyopop release. Plain Janes was an excellent slice of life, but some other titles, like Re-Gifters, definitely could appeal to the usual anime/manga fan. The art with Re-Gifters is heavily manga influenced (actually, it's a Singaporean artist, but still...), and the subject, well, a Korean American dirt poor girl lives in LA, and her only outlet is an ancient martial arts style, and she goes off trying to win some martial arts tournament, and then this surfer dude shows up to bring in the love conflict and... well it was enjoyable, and a heck of a lot better read than that Avril crap. The author is Mike Carey of Vertigo fame who has worked on such titles as Lucifer and Hellblazer/Constantine, and that alone makes the title something rather interesting in the comic community, since it is a GIRL comic.

That being said though, I don't know if I'd go so far as to call MINX an attempt to bring in all of the anime/manga fans. They're targeting at least the female manga/anime readers, but they're targeting girls in general due to the fact that manga has proven they're a market to tap into now.

I know! Wasn't Re-Gifters amazing?! Plus it focused on a Korean American girl and her family. Though I don't think Carey is Korean himself, it still felt pretty authentic. Here we have a look at Korean Ameircans. We get some manwha, but not any books about Korean Americans. It was quite interesting. Plus you said there is a Singaporean artist on the book, so it's fairly international. Plus I just felt it's a fantastic book.

Actually, again, Carey is the author of that Vertigo comic Crossing Midnight. That's very influenced by Japanese media and manga. Never mind that it's set in Japan and uses Japanese mythology. It was really cool to reconize some areas from my trip to Japan in the book. (Not that I went to that area or Oheno Park.)

KyuuA4 wrote:

Point: Cultural meanings change.

Not always for the better. Instead of celebrating Christ, Christmas now celebrates the all mighty dollar. Yeah. I do have a problem with that.

I like to bring up that Alanis Morrisette song 'Ironic'. Should English teachers change their text books and classes to teach this wrong definition because of some pop singer who didn't understand the term? Hell no. Just because a bunch of people were told by pop culture the wrong definition of the word, that doesn't mean we should accept it.

Quote:

Business expanding into a foreign market. That's all part of Capitalism. It's nothing new. It happens all the time. If it's truly a problem, the complain to McDonald's or Coca-Cola. Oh wait, they've been tapping foreign markets for more than 30 years now.

Fred has had well 7 years of experience tapping into the American and Canadian market.

And Halliburton got contracts in Iraq. You know. Just multinational business. Nothing new. Nothing wrong with it. Why complain? Rolling Eyes Also, btw, I think Ronald MacDonald is the next Joe Camel.

Quote:

In the Western market, it seems that the foreign (non-Japanese) manga artists are relegated to making Anime Convention logos or frowned upon for even attempting their own manga series. So, why not turn to Japan?

Well maybe if they tried to look outside anime cons, they could see or start a whole different market. It's funny, I have friends who do exactly that. He has done art for a number of cons in addition to his webcomic. I personally think his vision is a bit too narrow and I think catering to the limited views of a majority of anime fans at cons is to blame. Why turn to selling in a large comics market like Japan's when you have a whole nation of people in your home country?

They shouldn't be making manga! What are they dense? Are they retarded or something?. They should be making goddamn comics. That's a joke about a wonderfully bad Frank Miller Batman comic, btw. I don't mean it as an actual insult. I say that because Frank Miller was influenced by manga as an artist before most of these kids, or even myself, were born.

Quote:
Quote:

Going around cons spouting random Japanese phrases and thinking you're actually speaking the language is also an unhealthy problem.

Indeed. We have a 4chan derogatory term for that problem.

Did someone say weeaboo?

btw. Perry Bible Fellowship, where the term came from and was later word filtered to replace 'Wapanese', has a collection of their web comic / alternative newspaper comic strip coming out from Dark Horse. So there are outlets there for artists who don't call their work manga. Also, I point out Penny Arcade who also are at Dark Horse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5