• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Tales from Earthsea English Cast Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielJr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I can't recognize half of those names, but it's getting a dub! Kick-ass. It sucks that the movie is being held from a U.S. release because of the Sci-Fi movie, that's stupid. I'll probably import it.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
DanielJr wrote:
I can't recognize half of those names, but it's getting a dub! Kick-ass. It sucks that the movie is being held from a U.S. release because of the Sci-Fi movie, that's stupid. I'll probably import it.

Likewise I am probably going to import it as well, I must say I am pretty excited about the dub cast. Now to find this on the internet, I wonder how much the dub version will run me.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DanielJr wrote:

The two that stand out the most to me are Willem Dafoe and Mariska Hargitay.

For those of us who watch movies, Willem Dafoe usually plays the crazy villian in films he has done. The perfect example of this is in the live-action Spider-Man movies as The Green Goblin. You can find out more about him here and here.

Mariska Hargitay (pronounced mar-RISH-ka) is mostly known for her portrayal of SVU Detective Olivia Benson in the long-running Law & Order: Special Victims Unit TV series. You can find out more about her here and here.

It is very interesting to see that they dubbed it and release it in Japan. Are dubs with American actors popular in Japan?

Anyways, it is great to see some of my favorite actors doing a wide variety of work.
scrapps

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
DanielJr wrote:

I'm actually surprised I know so many.
Timothy Dalton - James Bond imdb
Willem Dafoe- in lots of movies but I think most here will know him as the Green Goblin from Spiderman imdb
Matt Levin Starship Troopers imdb
Cheech Marin - It's Cheech Marinimdb
Mariska Hargitay - Det. Olivia Benson in Law and Order: SVUimdb
Blaire Restaneo The only one I didn't know..but it looks like she's rather new imdb
Fried Tofu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I really dislike how ANN doesn't report about Australia.

Earthsea premiered in Australia back in APRIL and has been on a national tour since then www.talesfromearthsea.com.au yet there's mentions about UK screenings in August???

A 2 disc Limited Edition is coming out in September. It's already on the Madman B2B site.
http://b2b.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?method=view&releaseId=8090
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
ganmochan wrote:

Yeah you're right, you got us there

oh wait what's this

www.animenewsnetwork.com/
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
ganmochan wrote:

At least Aussies have their own version of ANN... Whether they choose to report it or not would be their own decision.

EDIT: Beaten
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
The two that stand out the most to me are Willem Dafoe and Mariska Hargitay.

For those of us who watch movies, Willem Dafoe usually plays the crazy villian in films he has done. The perfect example of this is in the live-action Spider-Man movies as The Green Goblin. You can find out more about him here and here.

Mariska Hargitay (pronounced mar-RISH-ka) is mostly known for her portrayal of SVU Detective Olivia Benson in the long-running Law & Order: Special Victims Unit TV series. You can find out more about her here and here.

Mariska Hargitay is the daughter of Hungarian-born champion bodybuilder Mickey Hargitay and 1950s/1960s Hollywood blonde bombshell Jayne Mansfield. I enjoy her work on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

The Naked Beast wrote:
It is very interesting to see that they dubbed it and release it in Japan. Are dubs with American actors popular in Japan?

Studio Ghibli films, which are distributed in Japan by Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment Japan, are an exception.

I have a number of Japanese Region 2 DVDs.

Japanese Region 2 DVDs of Hollywood and Western films that I have include the original language track, Japanese subtitles, and a Japanese dub.

None of the Japanese Region 2 DVDs that I have of Japanese animation (anime) have English or other non-Japanese language dubs.

Tales from Earthsea will likely be the first Japanese Region 2 DVD of a Japanese animation title I get that has an English dub.
mjgeo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
For those in America who are going to import it, I can only hope you don't pay too much for this movie.

It was pretty bad, and the worst Ghibli movie I've seen so far.
DanielJr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I definitely recognize the faces. The names didn't ring a bell, though. Thanks for the imdb links!

mjgeo wrote:
For those in America who are going to import it, I can only hope you don't pay too much for this movie.

Eh, people said the same thing about Steamboy and how crappy it was. I thought it was solid.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad cast. And I'm sure they are all excited to be in a "Miyazaki" movie Wink.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
mjgeo wrote:

Taking that with a grain of salt, considering I loathed Spirited Away (which seems to be a "Ghibli fan favorite").

Not to mention the fact that as a huge Earthsea enthusiast, I'm getting it no matter what.

I'm not going to be viewing it as a "Ghibli fan" but as an Earthsea fan, so I think at this point, outside opinion is pretty moot to me.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
That's pretty awesome. Actually, if the sub version is up to snuff (I got a hong kong bootleg of Scrapped princess where the translation was f'ing garbage-unwittingly, mind you) I may just import it myself.
Truered

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:43 am Reply with quote
Sergeant Grodin, James Bond and Cheech Marin? I first heard of the whole Earthsea series through this anime. Probably going to pick it up when it comes out in the UK (supposedly in August)

Going to pick this up as a Ghibli fan and anime fanboy.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
ganmochan wrote:
yet there's mentions about UK screenings in August???
3rd/August to be exact. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2