• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Good Witch of the West Novel

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Yay, 2nd book post in here!

Anyway, I've been getting into all the new novels Tokyopop has been releasing, and an upcoming one is the The Good Witch of the West novel. I can't really find any information at all on it, so I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is the original of the series. Basically I guess I want to know if this came before the manga, or if the book is based off the manga.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote
Novel came first, Manga, etc. later.
Hope this helps. It's a good series. Smile
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quote
Thanks! I watched the anime a while back, and when I saw both the anime and novel listed in the Tokyopop catalouge I got interested, but couldn't find any details on it. I'll give it a try this fall because I'm always good for a fantasy book.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Posting this for anyone interested: The bookstore I work at got sent a Tokyopop "Previews" for their Pop Fiction line which basically consists of chapters of upcoming novels and I was happy to see a Good Witch of the West sample in it. To sum it up I cannot express the glee I felt at seeing the quality of the adaption. The quality of the adaptions have been my biggest peeve with these translations so far (12 Kingdoms gave me a headache x_X), and Good Witch, from the three chapters they had in it, actually READS like a book. I didn't have to stumble on anything, it was fluid, and full of detail, whatmore, fun to read. Couldn't even tell it was a translated novel which so far has been the biggest problem I've had with these Tokyopop books. As a bookworm this makes be very happy indeed, and I so I went ahead and pre-ordered the book.

Seems too that the art in the novel is going to be by the same person who illustrated the manga, Haruhiko Momokawa.

The adaption for anyone interested was written by Natalie Baan.

I also just found out this isn't the first novel of Noriko Ogiwara it seems to have been translated. I'm not sure if it IS the same author, but back in 1993 a book under her name, listed with a translator is popping up on Amazon called Dragon Sword and Wind Child. Found that pretty interesting, and for anyone wanting a look, it's here: http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Sword-Child-Noriko-Ogiwara/dp/0374304661/ref=sr_1_2/002-1410010-3232850?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185380453&sr=1-2
With a used copy being at 149 since it's out of print, I highly doubt I'll be able to get my hands on a copy. Pity since all the customer reviews give it a full five stars.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I didn't have to stumble on anything, it was fluid, and full of detail, whatmore, fun to read. Couldn't even tell it was a translated novel which so far has been the biggest problem I've had with these Tokyopop books. As a bookworm this makes be very happy indeed, and I so I went ahead and pre-ordered the book.

Good news, because I've wanted to read (and see) this series for a while. I just love the art!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Seems too that the art in the novel is going to be by the same person who illustrated the manga, Haruhiko Momokawa.

I don't know about the illustrations for the English edition of the novel, but Momokawa drew both the Good Witch of the West manga and the illustrations for the new C.Novels edition of the Good Witch of the West novel.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm not sure if it IS the same author, but back in 1993 a book under her name, listed with a translator is popping up on Amazon called Dragon Sword and Wind Child.

Dragon Sword and Wind Child is the English translation of Sorairomagatama by Ogiwara Noriko, who wrote the Good Witch of the West novel.
According to an article by Ogiwara, there is a plan to translate also Hakuchôiden, which is a sequel to Sorairomagatama.
White_Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I know Tokyopop licensed the manga.. but I didn't know they licensed the novel too...

but whatever i'll be looking forward to it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1