• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scrapped Princess delayed indefinitely?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
In case anyone hasn't noticed, the next Scrapped Princess novel (volume 4) appears to have been delayed indefinitely (see the 12/12/12 release date). This doesn't bode well. This is my favorite light novel currently being released (that I've read; I haven't gotten around to Boogiepop Phantom or Twelve Kingdoms yet), so I would be really upset if it got canceled.
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
They're delaying a novel that doesn't come out until 2012? Or was that a typo?
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
No, that's not a typo; the novel was supposed to have been released this summer. Any product that has a release date of 12/12/2012, from past experience, no longer has a definite release date for it anymore, and can very well be considered to be up in the air.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
Bummer. I was just finishing off the second volume last week (and watching the series at the same time...I can't lie, I'm on a Scrapped Princess binge right now), so the fact that we'll be going on hiatus before even Leopold is apparently introduced is a bit of a disappointment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I honestly haven't been able to get through vol 1 yet because the style of it is just... bleah to me. But if you guys have enjoyed it that much, maybe I should give it a go again instead of allowing it to just gather dust on shelf of unread books.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
What a shame. I was planning on buying these novels as I very much enjoyed the anime, so I hope this doesn't mean they have given up on them.

For any of you that have read the ones that are out already -- how do they compare to the anime? So far, the only anime related novels that I have both read and seen the anime version of are the Crest of the Stars novels. I guess I am used to the disparity in content between novel to movie adaptations because I was surprised by how closely the anime followed the Crest of the Stars novels. I guess I expected there to be a bit more material in the novels.

I'd really be curious to hear if the Scrapped Princess novels also run nearly identical to the anime or if there are more differences.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
The first novel mostly covers events before the anime started, namely how Pacifica and her siblings found out she was the Scrapped Princess and how their journey began. It explains why the parents are gone and why Shannon and Racquel are such experts. The very last chapter covers the first encounter with Chris and that's only part of it that appears at all in the anime.

The second novel covers episodes 3-4 of the anime. The encounter with spoiler[the Peacekeeper] at the end plays out differently, but otherwise its mostly additional comedy scenes and additional insights into some of the characters, like Chris and Winia, so you learn a bit about their pasts, how and what they are thinking, and why they are the way they are.

The third novel covers the False Princess arc (episodes 9-10) and it plays out quite a bit differently than the anime.

The anime introduced Leo in episode two, but the novels haven't introduced him yet. If novel 4 ever gets released, that's when he shows up. The first novel also mentions how Pacifica was 'scrapped' and then saved, and it is different than how it happened in the anime. So, at this point, the novels expand quite a bit on the anime and the events of the anime were reordered. To what extent the plot ultimately deviates, I don't know, but at this point, the deviations are mostly minor. The biggest one is in novel 2 when spoiler[fighitng the Peacemaker. In the novels, she has not yet demonstrated the anti-Peacekeeper abilities she showed in that portion of the anime. Whether she ultimately will or not, I have no idea.]
heywatchitbuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Dang, that's too bad. Although I would also reccommend the Scrapped Princess manga (and of course, anime).
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the in-depth response, HitokiriShadow. It sounds like there are just enough differences that I think I'll give these a try, even at the risk that they won't be putting any more out. I'm especially interested in the first one if it covers events before the anime. Sounds interesting.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
heywatchitbuddy wrote:
Dang, that's too bad. Although I would also reccommend the Scrapped Princess manga (and of course, anime).

I glanced through the first volume of the manga and never had any desire to read it. I didn't like the art and I simply couldn't imagine how they could possibly fit the story into three volumes. I think the little bit I saw was completely different from the anime, so I'm guessing they didn't even try and did something different.

The anime was great though.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
heywatchitbuddy wrote:

I glanced through the first volume of the manga and never had any desire to read it. I didn't like the art and I simply couldn't imagine how they could possibly fit the story into three volumes. I think the little bit I saw was completely different from the anime, so I'm guessing they didn't even try and did something different.

The anime was great though.
The manga is essentially a collection of sidestories - they have a bit of an ending within themselves, but they don't attempt to re-adapt the whole storyline of the anime/novels.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I didn't like the art and the little bit I read looked dull, so I'll just continue ignoring it.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
See, this is what happens when you give your releases stupid looking covers that do not convay thier series correctly.

Thanks a bloody bunch, Tokypop.
lscoresby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Did you get the 12/12/12 date from RightStuf? Their system currently uses that for unknown release dates in addition to indefinitely postponed. So it could just be that the release date is unknown instead of the project being scrapped. No need to give up hope yet.

EDIT: Amazon lists the release date as 8/10/07, and Tokyopop says it released today.
http://www.tokyopop.com/product/1448/ScrappedPrincess/4.html
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
lscoresby wrote:
Did you get the 12/12/12 date from RightStuf? Their system currently uses that for unknown release dates in addition to indefinitely postponed. So it could just be that the release date is unknown instead of the project being scrapped. No need to give up hope yet.

That's why I said "delayed indefinitely" not "canceled", though that is still a possiblity. It has apparently been pushed back, but no new date is available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3