• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-07-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skwid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
So for what disney did I find it rather stupid but thats life. if anything what they should have done is take it out of the english version only since no 8 year old is going to watch it in japanese anyway.

On the release available in the UK there is no English dub. It is silly that it doesn't have an American release because, while it's a very good film, there's no way anyone too young to know about menstruation is going to sit down and watch it.

Oh well, you could always import from here for a change Very Happy
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I do agree that fansubbing is a form of piracy, but I find myself thinking that maybe for Filipinos (and other third world countries) it can be a bit justified. I literally have to starve myself for weeks if I wanted to buy DVDs (they cost P2500/item) and I'm not dirt poor.

Most I ever paid for an R1 anime DVD was 2000 pesos. Comics And Then Some in Greenhills has had a 50% off sale for their R1 anime DVD and U.S. manga GN stock since last year (90% sure they're closing down) . Getting "chapters" one and two (eps. 1-20) of Zeta Gundam for only 1000 each was a pretty good deal, which made up for not having the original theme songs.

Still debating on whether I should get Kimagure Orange Road TV, since they only have volumes 2 to 11 now. Getting 1 and 12 will be a bit of a hassle since all the R1 KOR DVDs are OOP. Admittedly, having Akemi Takada's artwork on the covers, like the Japanese LDs, would've made the DVDs more enticing.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote
Anime movies; I actually really liked the Cowboy Bebop, the 2nd InuYasha, and the 2nd Ranma 1/2. But for the most part these films are made for the fans.

Oh fansubs; ideally people would just download a few eps to see what the show's like then stop, but that's not going to happen.

The Berserk question raises its head again; just get the manga, it's so much better.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quote
I really wish that Disney would release Only Yesterday. I saw it on TCM (and taped it for good measure) and it's one of Ghibli's best. I loved it. But I can understand the worries of releasing in in NA. Some people aren't open to that kind of material.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quote
Just a note to the rant, while I agree that parents are the ones who should be deciding what their children see and do not see, I think the Disney example is a bad one because probably a huge factor in deciding not to license over such scenes would be made not to protect children, but to protect Disney's reputation. Reputation is one of the most important things out there, especially for a recognizable brand, and if they had something released with questionable material (which was intended material) they might get in trouble with some of their customer base and they can't risk that for one movie that probably wouldn't even sell all that well compared to their other project since anime is still a niche. Disney is supposed to be family friendly and all their movies have low ratings (Pirates of the Caribbean was the first PG-13 rated Disney movie in the U.S.). Anything that could compromise this would have to be exceptional for them to go ahead with it.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
Rant Rules wrote:
The next rant I publish will either conform to these guidelines or we simply won't have one that week. Rather than always publishing a rant - which I've been doing in the past, even if the rant was awful - I'll simply skip the section. Sound good?

Well, there's more. The author of the next rant to be published - which will only happen if it's good enough and follows these guidelines - will receive a prize box chock full of anime and manga straight from my own collection. I won't announce exactly what the prize is, but suffice to say, it's an incentive to do your best.

Okay, this has been bothering me for awhile. Basically, you've said in the above that you will not post a rant unless they "win," and yet ever since you've said that, you've posted up a non-winning rant. You really should reconsider rewording that last paragraph, because it's quite contradictory to what you've been doing. Unless all of these non-"winning" ranters have been receiving prize boxes. At which point...none of it makes much sense.
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Good rant. I've seen a lady on Imdb ranting about how the new Horton Hears a Who is against abortion.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...than the IMDB message boards. I even hold 4chan in higher regard, at least they don't take themselves so seriously. People who start politically motived argument in random threads are just looking for attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
Fansubs: This is a touchy subject, so feel free to argue.

I think fansubs, when used properly, are a good thing. Its great to see a new show from Japan and then buy the official DVDs when they come out. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the way things are working. I don't know anyone personally, but I keep hearing about people refusing to pay for the anime they supposedly (did I spell that right?) love. Its understandable to complain about pricing; I'd love to just buy the R1 version as soon as it comes out and get rid of those subs, but I don't have that kind of money. Of course, some prices are outrageous ($40 for 2 episodes and no dub? I'll wait). However, its not nearly enough of an excuse. Not to mention, there is a definate difference in enjoyment between seeing a few files on a screen and seeing a few boxes on a shelf. However, these cheapskates who refuse to pay seem (IMO) to be in large numbers, and if they aren't they are probably on the rise.

A possible solution may be "Okay, go ahead and download a few episodes now, but be sure to PAY later." If the series looks like you'll want it, buy it; if not, rent the same amount you saw or more. I admit to watching a few fansubbed episodes of licensed shows, sometimes the actual dubs, and I fully intend to pay for what I've seen (even though one episode of Love Hina was more than enough). I'm sure many of you don't think this strategy is nearly enough, but at least its something.

And I hope nobody is going to dispute the usefulness of fansubs for anime that probably won't cross the pond (*cough*Cutie Honey*cough*).

Rant: It could've been done better, but its still nice to see someone get on censorship's case.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
You know, by this point we should all realize we aren't going to change each other's minds on where they fall in the fansub debate. Going on for pages and pages each column is pointless.

I hope Omoide Poroporo does come out in the next round of Ghibli stuff. Having an incomplete set just feels wrong.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
I just got in the whole "downloading things for free" argument with my sisters. I don't download fansubs that often, but when I do, if I even moderately like it, I'll buy it. I'm doing it with Naruto and Bleach right now (looks like I'll be buying Naruto up to the filler, and Bleach up to the Bounto arc so far). I've also stopped watching Darker than BLACK until Funi releases it. If Ouran and Yakitate ever come to the States, I'll buy those, too. My sisters laughed at me and said I was retarded for buying something I've watched (they download music and movies a lot), and I tried explaining to them that I do it to show that I support a show. Otherwise why would companies continue to license and release anime, if nobody buys them, and people just keep downloading for free? I hope it never comes to that, because that would just be sad.

EDIT: hey I just realized this is my 100th post. Woot! (not that anyone cares, but I thought that was kinda cool. Razz)

Last edited by kyokun703 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
Regarding the fansubs thing and people who complain about R1 DVD releases:

I was in Tsutaya (huge book/CD/DVD store across from Shibuya station) last week, and I know many people already know this, but almost every anime TV show in Japan gets released 2 episodes per DVD, each of which go for 5000-6000 yen (more popular shows like Bleach are more like 3000 yen per DVD) (also, conversion note, 6000 yen is about $50). Anyway, yes, that's around $20-25 PER EPISODE. Now, in the US, you get around 4 episodes per DVD for about $20-30. Puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Good rant, of course I'm really anti-censorship, so I'm kind of biased. I don't generally watch fansubs because I believe in supporting the industry. I think that the best way for more anime to be brought over to the U.S. is to help it sell. I will admit that I have seen fansubs, however I usually use it as a preview to see if I'll like it and I don't usually watch the whole series. I also occasionally watch subtitles because I need to see a show so that I can give it a quick review for Anime TV. The only series that I have watched all or half of fansubbed are Hellsing Ultimate, Basilisk, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, and Fullmetal Alchemist, and I bought all of those because I loved those and I wanted to support the industry. You know what they say "Money makes the world go round."

Jetz- I do think its ok to watch fansubs if your living in a place where anime isn't readilly available. For example, I know that guys in the army who like anime and are stationed over in Iraq tend to watch fansubs because thats the only way they can get it.

Berserk- I read in Anime Insider that Kentaro Miura doesn't think there's enough story for a second season. Aslo there is now a series of Berserk videogames, so maybe Miura just switched mediums. I agree with Zac though, the manga is way better, but I would still like to see a second season, and while I'm at it I would also like a million dollars.

Anime movies- Shonen movies seem to suck (in my opinion) because they are side stories (like Zac said) and not part of the main story. Most of them aren't even created by the author of the original manga. The reason that the Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop movies were so great is because neither of those series were based off of a manga. They were created by a team at Sunrise (same team actually) and then at Studio Bones. Since neither was based off of a manga the team behind Cowboy Bebop was able to make a movie that felt like an extended episode, and the Escaflowne team were able to make a re-imagining with better animation and way more blood. Can't wait for the new Eva movies. I think that this is officially my longest post ever. Woohoo!

Last edited by Berserkfury819 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zac, you liked the Escaflowne movie? I can see people who'd never seen the series liking it, but I thought that was one awful mess of a movie. The character redesigns I can handle, the slight character shuffle and cuts aren't all that terrible, but the crunch, oh the crunch of the plotline and the endless useless characters, not to mention a poor explanation of nearly everything and an anti-climactic final showdown mars that movie.

If Zac does like the movie, he's not the only one around here who does. I saw the movie before I saw the TV series and loved it; it features great artistry and technical merits, a wonderful musical score, lots of spectacular action, and a good, self-contained story. One does not need to be familiar with the anime series at all to appreciate or understand it strictly on its own merits. Were I to give it letter grades ANN-style, I would probably give it an A- for story and otherwise straight-As. It's one of the best anime movies I've seen, and later seeing (and coming to really like) the TV series has not changed that opinion.

Since seeing the TV series, too, I have always thought that the people who lambaste the movie for how it compares to the series are missing the point. It is not supposed to be a condensed retelling of the same story with a few details adjusted (as the RahXephon and Blue Gender movies are), but a total stand-alone reinterpretation of the source content. Look at it that way and its merits should markedly increase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Fansubs: This is a touchy subject, so feel free to argue.

I think fansubs, when used properly, are a good thing. Its great to see a new show from Japan and then buy the official DVDs when they come out. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the way things are working. I don't know anyone personally, but I keep hearing about people refusing to pay for the anime they supposedly (did I spell that right?) love. Its understandable to complain about pricing; I'd love to just buy the R1 version as soon as it comes out and get rid of those subs, but I don't have that kind of money. Of course, some prices are outrageous ($40 for 2 episodes and no dub? I'll wait). However, its not nearly enough of an excuse. Not to mention, there is a definate difference in enjoyment between seeing a few files on a screen and seeing a few boxes on a shelf. However, these cheapskates who refuse to pay seem (IMO) to be in large numbers, and if they aren't they are probably on the rise.

A possible solution may be "Okay, go ahead and download a few episodes now, but be sure to PAY later." If the series looks like you'll want it, buy it; if not, rent the same amount you saw or more. I admit to watching a few fansubbed episodes of licensed shows, sometimes the actual dubs, and I fully intend to pay for what I've seen (even though one episode of Love Hina was more than enough). I'm sure many of you don't think this strategy is nearly enough, but at least its something.

The "Pay Later" solution may not work because all funsubbing groups will have to agree to use this solution, which I don't think they will.

Even if one fansubbing group like Dattebayo decides to implement "paying for it later", people will probably just go to another group who promises free downloads or go to youtube before the episode is removed from the site due to legal reasons.

As for reading about people not buying it because of R1 DVD's:
I'm kind of a noob, so what the hell is R1 DVD's and what is it that causes people not to buy it? (I think it was discussed on a previous Answerman article)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
So it sounds like Zac landed Comic-con coverage?
I went to their site last night to see if the schedules were up (They are, yeah! Time to print & highlight what I'll be doing panel-wise) & was shocked to see the 4 day passes are sold out. I really don't remember that happening before. And Saturday appears sold out. It's going to be crowded (They're expecting 120,000 this year).

I'm gambling Ouran will be announced at Otakon or Comic-con. I remember a couple yrs back Viz passed out preview dvds picturing Bleach & offered some lame excuse about it being a general preview disc--they didin't have Bleach. And then they announced it which is why I'm leaning to someone like Viz having Ouran since they keep their mouths sut the longest on titles they own.

Zac's right-fan-subbing no more than 3 eps equals preview, anything more is stealing someone else's hard earned work. I've never really understood anime fans' undying believe they have the inalienable right to free anime. The city I live in has about 1.5 million people in it & I really doubt half of them are illegally downloading stuff. Most people are too busy living their life day in day out to spend hours downloading stuff to watch when they have tv, movies, nightclubs, beaches, parks, etc to spend their time on so the idea downloading has made anime popular in America now is insane. It helped in the dark days-the '80's & '90's, but no longer considering a lot of anime these days is made with foreign investments so those companies get first dibs on the finished product. All these "Anime Whatever committee" titles you're seeing often include foreign investments.
The number of people downloading Bleach & Naruto here in America can't equal the number of people watching it for free on TV. Yeah, there's the YouTube types, but reality is there are still an awful lot of people in this country who do not have a computer at home or, if they do, use it for the bare minimal-email & stuff. I know a majority of my co-workers are barely functional on the programs they use at work. Yeah, among younger people, but don't forget there's a lot of us born to prior generations which didin't grow up on the internet--people who struggled with their jobs when computers were introduced. I really can't believe a majority of people in the US download illegally. In fact, the few times I've been linked by friends to stuff on YouTube, the vids I was linked to numbered in the thousands viewed. A tv show with 10,000 viewers is called cancelled. And most people I see watching anime on YouTube actually seem to believe it's legal (because the site is legit) until someone points out it isn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7