• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-07-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
For once, I'm going to keep it short. (Well, short for me anyway.)

Fansubs: I'm going to stop watching them. I've found that, overall, they're actually making my anime fan experience less enjoyable. Yes, I've founds some great series through fansubs, but at the same time, I've also found myself feeling anxiety and worry about series being licensed and how they'll be handled. (Not to mention bitter disappointment that forces me to add ever more titles to my "will give a proper R1 release to if I ever get enough money to relicense" list. Yes it is real and yes I will if I ever have the money.)

If I keep watching any fansubs, it will be series that have, in my mind, a less than 20% chance of being licensed. (I don't see anyone picking up Today in Class 5-2 anytime soon. I know Zac, I'm horrible. Wink )

The Rant: Considering that I'm very anti-censorship and also very pro-"parents should be parents" I almost skipped reading the rant. It's like asking Jesus to read the bible. It's redundant.

I read it anyway to be fair.

Most experts will tell you that parents can and do play a major role in how their kids turn out. If parents are consistent with the way they enforce rules, if they actually tell their kids the truth about things, the vast majority of time the kids will come out great regardless of how much garbage they get exposed to. If you don't want your kids being exposed to naughty things, don't buy it for them and deal with inevitable slip-ups with a cool head. Trying to make everything kid friendly is incredibly stupid. (They do grow up afterall.)
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quote
If Disney is worried about its reputation, it's too late. It was ruined when they made all those horrible direct-to-video sequels to movies that didn't need them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

For the most part, I agree...but what about those series that completely fall apart in the last few episodes or have horrible, inconclusive endings that make you feel like you just wasted 26 episodes worth of your time? Stuff like Spiral, whose ending I've heard compared to Berserk's -- because of that, I don't ever want to watch it, whether I pay for it or not. In general though, I believe 20% of a series is enough to judge its overall quality; but if some fansub groups stop after 20% of a series, other, lesser-quality groups will step in to sub the other 80%, thereby "damaging the property" more (as per John Ledford's words about bad fansubs).

Like going to a movie & it reeking? Usually once you get to the half-way point, most theaters won't refund your money. How about paying for a play & the night you go the big star is ill so you paid big bucks for someone else? Or maybe it's an off night & you get a lousy performance,
Like watching a series on tv & getting to the end & it being so horrible you feel like that's XX hours of your life gone forever for no good reason? (I've actually felt that way about a couple movies-not only a waste of time & money, but they sucked extra life out of me-I swear they stole time off the back end of my life & I will die that much sooner. Was I pissed that I bought Spiral BEFORE they boxed it from the box +1 dvd point & they NEVER even answered the pitch question (What are the Blade Children?). Yeah, a bit, but overall, the eps were pretty good, the bishies pretty, the cast in Japanese good, so it wasn't a total loss.
Anime is the one entertainment genre where a segment of the audience demands to see it all for free so MAYBE they'll buy it-why? There aren't any sure things in life. I've gone to the same restaurant & gotten a bad meal once in awhile. Why are anime fans so spoiled? So I got to the last Spiral dvd & they didin't answr any questions. Haven't we seen that other places? Books? Guess what-to be continued.
Anime fans (non Japanese) are really, really spoiled . How do you think the fan in Japan feels buying an OVA sereis they have to pay way more for? Or watching a series pay-per-view? They don't get to watch it for free & pay if they feel it's worth it. What makes fans downloading fansubs better than Japanese anime fans?
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

The Rant: Considering that I'm very anti-censorship and also very pro-"parents should be parents" I almost skipped reading the rant. It's like asking Jesus to read the bible. It's redundant.

That has to be the best analogy ever! Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
So I got to the last Spiral dvd & they didin't answr any questions.
Just to mention, if you want to learn what came after the anime, the manga is supposed to be coming out this year.

Personally, I liked the Spiral anime's ending. Sure it's WAY too open and there are far too many loose plot threads left, but at least it leaves the viewer with a hopeful feeling.

Berserkfury819 wrote:
That has to be the best analogy ever! Very Happy
Thanks! Very Happy
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Defiant7 wrote:
or like ommiting the Disney logo from the original release of "Black Cauldron"

The original Black Cauldron release had the Disney logo. I bought it. (I saw it in the theater too, mind you.)
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

I read it anyway to be fair.

Most experts will tell you that parents can and do play a major role in how their kids turn out. If parents are consistent with the way they enforce rules, if they actually tell their kids the truth about things, the vast majority of time the kids will come out great regardless of how much garbage they get exposed to. If you don't want your kids being exposed to naughty things, don't buy it for them and deal with inevitable slip-ups with a cool head. Trying to make everything kid friendly is incredibly stupid. (They do grow up afterall.)

I agree, if parents tell their kids about things they accidently saw instead of making a big scene a child will learn instea of being sheltered The moment the parents make a big scene the more curious a kid wants to go after it, then end up learning the wrong information. Parents don't have to vividly explain situations, but in a way a child would understand. Adults need entertainment too so everything can't be children friendly all the time. Even TV companies know at midnight most people watching aren't children so they need to follow the niche market. If a company labels an age warning parents have no right to complain unless it was label wrong, which is extremely rare so they shouldn't complain or buy it for their child. It's not child abuse to tell a child "no, you can't watch Beserk because of so and so." Parents need tol earn to read labels and say no, as long as the kid understands why instead of just buying whatever and getting into a fit over it without explaining it to their kids. European media is way more liberal and their children aren't corrupt.

Last edited by mistress_reebi on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
European media is way more liberal and their children being corrupt.

I don't see European children making more troubles than their American counterparts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Evelas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently, Disney felt uncomfortable with two scenes, one where a family bathes together and another where schoolchildren discuss menstruation.

Didn't Disney release My Neighbor Totoro here? And didn't it have a scene where the dad and two kids bathed together? Is there something worse about the scene in Only Yesterday? I haven't seen it, so I don't know for sure.

I know others have said it before, but not releasing a movie for those two reasons is complete and utter bull. Kids are going to find out about it anyway, and I'm frankly getting tired of companies like Disney trying to do the job that parents are supposed to be doing. Kids nowadays are too damn sheltered.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
Its really not fair to blame disney though. Theryre just making the wise buisness decision here. It would be stupid of them to ignore such stuff and risk causing controversy or some kind of incident.

Its not like Disney has decided its their mission to protect the children. Its people who demand that of them and Im sure they dont like it any better than you do.
chocho

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
Someone else could always licence it instead of Di$ney. If Di$ney don't want to, then it doesn't preclude others doing it (or does it? Because then choosing not to release it really is equivalent to censorship.)

As for fansubs... there are a number of things on my mind right now.

1. (has been said) Some series have a very low chance of being licenced, whether it be for a particular reason, or just that nobody can be bothered. Personally, I wish Oishinbo would get picked up. It was a great series and funnily enough, didn't even get fully fansubbed. Two episodes were done, which was enough for me to want the rest. And now I can't even get it whether I pay or not.

2. Series which air in TV on Japan, can be viewed for free (let's not go into an argument discussing how the Japanese have to pay a tiny fee to run a TV set in their house. Nobody cares about this technicality.) So why should we have to buy a DVD to see a series once? Rental shops in my area carry only the most mainstream stuff (basically no TV series, movies only.) The only TV channels that carry anime are on cable which costs more than video rental, and furthermore all the shows are dubbed (f**k that.) For this purpose, fansubs. When I feel like I want to watch a series more than once or twice, I do buy the DVD. I really do.

3. Glitzy fonts do suck, but if you don't like the fonts a group uses, use another group. There are plenty of groups (read: the majority) who don't use glitzy fonts. And besides, nothing can be worse than the super low resolution yellow crap that comes on DVDs. You have no idea how that looks on a 1080p TV. The letters look like the ? on the side of a ? box in the original Mario Bros. It makes me want to headbutt the TV.

And finally:

4. I wish fansubs really were the "whole product", because then we wouldn't have to waste time waiting for companies to add shitty dubs before allowing us to buy the "whole product".
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
I think that Disney seems to have lost its way since Walt died. I agree that it makes no sense getting upset over a couple of scenes in Only Yesterday when the released My Neighbor Totoro over here. What about Pirates of the Carribean? That had a lot of worse stuff than Only Yesterday. Disney seems to be worrying about their family image, but they are not a family company anymore. Disney owns Miramax which released Kill Bill, and while I loved Kill Bill, it certainly is not for kids.

Richard J. Your Welcome. Very Happy
Defiant7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
chocho wrote:
Someone else could always licence it instead of Di$ney. If Di$ney don't want to, then it doesn't preclude others doing it (or does it? Because then choosing not to release it really is equivalent to censorship.)

I believe Disney owns the North American distribution rights, so right now only Disney can say if it gets a R1 release.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
mistress_reebi wrote:
European media is way more liberal and their children being corrupt.

I don't see European children making more troubles than their American counterparts.

Oops, that was a typo. I meant to say and their childeran AREN'T being corrupt. Thanks for pointing that out.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
This may seem off topic, but I hope the next answerman article will discuss something about "Rebuild of Evangelion". I never even watched the Evangelion series or movies but the Trailer (w/ a different version of the song "Fly Me To The Moon") is getting me hyped. Very Happy

So what's the deal?: Is the movie just a repeat of the series in a shorter time w/ better animation, or is there more (such as it's more 'faithful' to the manga)?

Maybe ANN reported it and had an article about it, but I may have missed it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7