• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Enters Politics

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:48 am Reply with quote
On a marginally related note, check out the manga-style superdeformed icons at the bottom of the Japan Defense Agency's English homepage...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exinex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:30 pm Reply with quote
That's really interesting. Could you imagine going to army.com and finding a manga style soldier holding a gun? Or an animated Bush telling you why the war in Iraq is good? Ahh how our cultures differ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
animaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:30 pm Reply with quote
cool link little mang guys on the home page maybe we can put southpark for our's here in the states Laughing
As for the story using animation for election hey thats cool kinda like how everyone here in the states uses music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Recently Cartoon Network played an old WWII political cartoon done by Warner Bros. At the end it said to go and buy some war bonds. I was surprised that CN played it cause it was really racist against the Japanese.
IamMOP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:45 pm Reply with quote
racist? yeah i suppose, not that i saw it, but i know of them.

it's historical x_x they have their versions too, heck isn't mr. satan supposed to be racist against americans?

not that i care, humans are a spiteful bunch, i'm used to it (althogh i'm also sick of it)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:52 pm Reply with quote
It'd make sense. I mean, Space Cruiser Yamato was one big anti-American show.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:58 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
Recently Cartoon Network played an old WWII political cartoon done by Warner Bros. At the end it said to go and buy some war bonds. I was surprised that CN played it cause it was really racist against the Japanese.

Being as we were locked in a life/death struggle with Japan at the time the cartoon was made, I'm willing to let it slide.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, that sort of thing always happens in wartime. Especially when the opposing side kicked it off with an unprovoked attack (Pearl Harbour).

Anyway, these political anime commercials seem interesting. Hey, they're bound to be better than our godawful anime T-Mobile ads, at least. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
JETBLACK87 wrote:

Being as we were locked in a life/death struggle with Japan at the time the cartoon was made, I'm willing to let it slide.

I was just surprised of it being on CN. just cause of how things are "politically correct" and that CN seems to not like to play anything remotely controversial. of course Japan and the Japanese people are a lot different now than they where then.
A.Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:54 pm Reply with quote
"Especially when the opposing side kicked it off with an unprovoked attack (Pearl Harbour)."

-Ah , that's just a propaganda myth ala " Iraq has WMD and is working with Al-Quada " . The attack on Pearl Harbor was actually the result of a 8-step plan by FDR and the U.S. Military to convince the isolationist American public to enter WW2 .

Link:
http://www.liberty-tree.org/ltn/dayofdeceit.html

Furthermore , the U.S. put an oil embargo on Japan

http://www.colorado.edu/conflict/peace/example/geor7269.htm

Now , while FDR's machiavellianism was justifiable is debatable , it seems to be a hard fact that the Pearl Harbor attack was , in fact , PROVOKED by the U.S. Government ...
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:04 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:

"You’re a Sap Mr. Japanese", "Nips the Nips" and "Tokio Jokio"... those are some of the most offensive ones produced by WB and Paramount. The ones shown on CN recently have been rather mild in comparison to these.

Surprisingly, although Disney had been resistant in the release of their WW2 cartoons, they finally got around to putting them on DVD (with appropriate introductions so that the audience would know they were for historical purposes alone) as you can see here.

Disney's "Education for Death" is really very sympathetic to the Germans (well, except for the "sleepy German bride" scene w/ Hitler...)

What CN showed was fairly middle-of-the-road stuff, things that weren't overly cruel to the Japanese _people_ (the leadership and military were handled a little differently, of course) but still harsh enough to show some of the prevailing sentiment towards Germany and Japan during the war.

Additionally, they need to take into account the sentiment of some of their viewers -- WW2 ended only 58 years ago. There are still plenty of people alive today who fought in the war.. and as such there are many people who still have negative sentiments about Japan because of WW2.

One other thing to consider is the way Japan was presented in American propaganda. If, for example, you look at anti-German propaganda, it almost always represents Hitler, one of his associates, or someone who is quite clearly a part of the Nazi party. However, looking at most anti-Japanese propaganda, you rarely see anyone who might be identified as a specific Japanese political figure. In the years leading up to Pearl Harbor, you'll occasionally see Emperor Hirohito, typically miming Hitler.. Post-Pearl Harbor, much of this sentiment has changed, and instead you'll find little of Hirohito, but plenty of "anonymous", ape-like Japanese soldiers.

It should be noted that the Japanese propaganda was rarely AGAINST anyone, but instead heralded the glory of the Japanese common man, the soldier, and the power and compassion of the Japanese armies. For reference consider these Japanese Postcards, posters, and cards... compare this sort of thing with American propaganda that largely demonized the Japanese. (Sorry; all the latter links come from my Professor's online textbook; other sites certainly exist, but this was the easiest to dig up.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Anyway, these political anime commercials seem interesting. Hey, they're bound to be better than our godawful anime T-Mobile ads, at least. Rolling Eyes

Don't see how, the T-Mobile ads are done by Production IG after all. Wink

IamMOP wrote:
it's historical x_x they have their versions too, heck isn't mr. satan supposed to be racist against americans?

No, no he isn't. For starters at no point do they call him an American, and second he's a wrestler doing exactly what wrestlers do. The only people that could possibly be offended by him are other wresters and I'm highly doubtful of that since the characterization is nearly spot on.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

Don't see how, the T-Mobile ads are done by Production IG after all. Wink

Better subject matter than some gimmicky IM phone may lead to a better script, there won't be any villains that look like a poor man's Invaders (from Gatekeepers), and they likely won't have that asshat with his gratingly annoying voice. Wink

EDIT: Did I mention the godawful music in that T-Mobile ad? I mean, yeah it's not very noticeable, but it was there, and it sucked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Tuche, but these are JAPANESE politcal ads, I wouldn't put it past them at all to show them fighting whatever the Justice party is against. Maybe even a special apearance from Justice Gundam. Laughing

Emerje
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:16 pm Reply with quote
That's something I want to see:

Anime Bush piloting a Gundam.

I'd gladly put my RNC dollars for that!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3