• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Freedom Riders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShatteredX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Beck is awesome! Definitely Shelf Worthy!

Concerning Haruhi, I consider myself a fan, but I'm not sure whether to qualify it Shelf Worthy or Rental...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Drama is tricky. Without drama, life is boring, but once you saturate it, you'd rather defenestrate someone than be part of it for another minute.
Was this a reference to Dark Angel? I don't think I've ever heard this term used in this way in any other series.

Another great column, although I disagree on Haruhi. I won't make any grand strands, I'll just say that I really enjoy the series and am willingly blowing copious amounts of cash on the LEs.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Freedom Riders...Freedom Writers [OT] Has anyone seen that film? We watched it in psych class last semester, somewhat touching.

BECK- great show. Got my starter set in the mail last week and intend to fill it up as soon as the volumes come out. The only show I've watched the fansubs for and intend to purchase if that's saying something, haha. The guitar pick are cool too Wink I'm excited to see how the rest of the series is dubbed. I'm liking the English songs better, the originals took a while to get used to. Hopefully they'll include the soundtracks as extras in future volumes.

Haruhi- I expect a lot of rants in this thread. I thought it was just barely above average. Entertaining but forgettable and the fans are a bit annoying with their dancing. I refuse to buy it, Bandai's being freaking extortionists with this series. $40 limited editions on all volumes? The bonus items are worthless too. Who needs hair ribbons? They don't sell cloth at Wal-Mart? The cds are the only item I would be interested in but they have what 4 songs on them?

Dude's collection- I'm seeing a bunch of Digimon figures Very Happy Angemon is one of my favorites Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
$40 limited editions on all volumes?

Appearently, you found a deal. They actually retail for $60.
sumgai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
For me, whenever there's hype for an anime, I'm certain that particular anime will suck because I don't trust anime fans. I usually watch something just so I have an excuse to hate it. However, with Haruhi I was pleasantly surprised and ended up loving it. I guess only the people that got into Haruhi before the hype or people like me can really enjoy it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Freedom is worth a "rental", at least, if that rental equals $2.

The storyline is fairly unremarkable; like "Rebuild of Akira-Lite" or something. That being said, it made for nice rental. But I do sympathize with anyone who had to shell out $25 or more for this.

As a side note, I lent the DVD to a buddy of mine, before mailing it back. After he watched it and returned it to me, he had this to say:

"That was decent. Has this been licensed?"

Yes. That's what he said. I kid you not. And he's not new to anime buying either; his R1 collection is nothing to sneeze at. Looks like BVUSA's "bare-bones" treatment of Freedom made one fan initially think that their release of it didn't even qualify as a North American one. Rolling Eyes

So what did he say when you told him that it was the licensed copy?
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
I'm not to much against Haruhi, but more against the fandom. I think it's just extreme fanboys/fangirls I came in contact with, but they really got annoyed that I found fault with a lot of the show and from then I just hated the show. I know it's wrong to hate a show just because of a few extremists but that was my first experience with the fans of the show and it was a strong first impression, I know that they were probably the minority though. I think the show is quirky and semi-entertaining but I seriously don't get how it's a masterpiece by any means.

When I first watched Peach Girl, I was sorta fanboyish about it because it felt like one of the first few series that hit me as fresh and teenage related, but now that I revisit it with the DVDs and after watching shows like NANA I don't have as high an opinion as I used to but I still find it entertaining and fresh as long as I see it for what it really is. I think the show is strongest in it's last few episodes.

Beck is really good at the start but it does get a little tiring half-way through but in the end I liked the show overall. I agree the show has an excellent introduction, and I enjoyed Greg Ayres' singing, isn't he in a band actually?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
[concerning Karin] especially the flamboyant new transfer student, who claims to be a vampire hunter.

Getting a little ahead of yourself, Bamboo. He doesn't show up until episode 7, which is on vol. 2. (Which comes out today, incidentally.) And he's the character I am most wanting to hear in English.

As much as I like Karin, can't argue about its Rental rating. More disappointed with the MoHS rating, but that is one of those series you either "get" big-time or you don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
BECK deserves that Shelf-Worthy grade. I'm really into rock music, so that was enough to get me interested in it. But I ended up being blown away by just everything about the series. It's definitely at the top of my list.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Freedom...makes me sad. Whe compaines start to upgrade these dvds am I going to have to look forwarf to higher prices? I know that Bandai is on a new kick right now- but thats something thats been bugging me. When everyone decides to jump into HD and Blu Ray how much is it going to cost me outside of the new dvd player i have to buy?

The reason why Freedom is so expensive is because it's a "combo" disc, meaning it's both DVD and HD-DVD. Standard non-combo HD-DVD price is about 25 dollar while others are 29.99. Combo disc can cost 5 to 10 dollar more, they are totally unnecessary imo.

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
[concerning Karin] especially the flamboyant new transfer student, who claims to be a vampire hunter.

Getting a little ahead of yourself, Bamboo. He doesn't show up until episode 7, which is on vol. 2. (Which comes out today, incidentally.) And he's the character I am most wanting to hear in English.

o_O Oh gosh, you're right. I barreled through the first two discs, actually, but somehow my head registered it as one disc when I was writing it. Must be the cold medication.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
Is Haruhi worth all the trouble, is a very good question. When I saw it, it was something. I wouldn't call it great though, because I don't see how it could be. It's interesting to say the least, because I can consider it to be not so much a typical anime. I can however, attest that it has some nice fetishes in there that some people have probably wanted to fantasize about, now here's their chance.

I have to say, with the things I have been hearing about Beck, it sounds like a promising show. Having on idea of what to expect in the show, it will be interesting to hear both sides of the Pacific, the Japanese dub versus the English dub. I'm normally not one to pay attention to the English dub, since a lot of them sound like they were voiced by amatuers, but you never know in a series, and I'm hoping Beck is one to pull it off for me.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I never thought I would like an anime about music, so I almost didn't go the Beck panel at Oni-Con last year. I was sooo glad I did. They had a rough copy of volume one, and rather than show us a full, single episode, they instead showed several different scenes throughout the volume. The last scene they showed us was the duet with Greg and Brina in the pool at the very end of the volume. I was sold. I had to see it.

It's been a long 8 months, but definitely worth it. Cool

I got a kick out of Karin. Must be just me.

I will say this about MOHS. That episode 00 was a riot! Ed Wood would have been proud!
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:46 am Reply with quote
Hmm.. none of those anime really interest me at all. Smile Ah well~ to each their own.

...OMG, I'm running out of anime I'm interested in! TAnime cryT **becomming a manga-holic**

Shelf obsessed pics: some Transfomers eh... my brother's collection could still pwn that (though his are boxed up...I'm tempted to steal them all...and his original metal Voltron set *evil grin*).
...cute dog... my kittens are still cuter (not to mention they are named after Naruto characters Anime hyper ...my Akatsuki-Konekos will Rule the World~!)
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have to put myself in the "meh." camp with Haruhi, too. It was a fun little gimmick at first, but it got old pretty quickly. I did like Aya Hirano's voice work, though, so I stuck with it. Whatev.

Freedom, however, I just didn't like. The animation style (cel-shaded, right?) made it look like a giant cut scene from some damnable Nintendo game (sponsored by Nissin, of course), and I couldn't get past that to try and enjoy the story. Fortunately, they just raced bikes all over hell and gone, so I didn't miss much.

Beck is awesome, and it made me want to try and learn the guitar for the third time. For me, the best part is spoiler[the final tour where they wind up at the Crocodile Cafe here in Seattle. I got a bunch of free concert tix when I sent some fansubs to the Croc's owners to show 'em they were in an anime. They had absolutely NO idea that had happened.] Good times, good times.

And finally, the one original thing about Karin is the "un-vampire" bit, though Kenta's family name of Usui (translatable as "weak-flavored") was kind of inspired, too. It's a decent show, but that's about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6