• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Freedom Riders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
sumgai wrote:
I never realized "get" was such a strong word. Confused

That's obviously 'cause you just don't get it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ingrod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very put in anime, I'm more of the sci-fi type, perhaps for this reason I am less conditioned and don't see Haruhi only how a typical school anime comedy and more how a sci-fi comedy, also I saw the 14 episodes in chronological order except for the first, imo the people must see the series in this order, many comical or argumental situations are losing in the odd chapter order with the only gain of some suspens and give a coherent ending to the 14 episodes.

From my point of view the series is less about typical school comedy or parodic situations and more about situations around the Haruhi mood and his consecuences due to her unconscious god like powers, this remember me some sci-fi novels about space and time alterations caused for the human mind. The fist episode perhaps give the initial impresion that this is a parodic series, but for me this is only a secundary thing in the main plot.

The odd order in broadcast episodes and the fanboysn around that actually hurt the series, for me the most logic reaction when a more mainstrean viewer see the first episode or the subsequent caotic chapter development is "this sucks" and turn off the TV.

Changue the chapter order for the first broadcast emission was a good idea, but only for an 14 episodes autoconclusive history, but if they want make a second season need return to the original novels chronological order, giving a more consistent background to the subsequents episodes, this is perhaps the reason under the decision for the DVD release. The six first chronologic episodes -the "Melancholy" episodes- are more a introduction or pilot episode for a more long history with several episodes, in the same meaning that the initial episodes for "Full Metal Alchemist" and many other series, anime or not.

This series need a second season ASAP to show his potential how a good sci-fi comedy and for character development, only after that we will have knowledge of if all this is only a seasonal wind or some more consistent.

P.D. : Sorry for my bad english. Embarassed

Last edited by Ingrod on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
While I'd probably put Haruhi in the "Buy it" column, it is refreshing to see a discerning opinion that really nails some of the show's faults. For the record, I think it is very good as a comedy with great characters, but the amount of praise people give it for having ingenious direction or depth when it really is just giving the audience old cliches without any real commentary is kind of ridiculous. But the comedic (and towards the end romantic) elements are so strong that I'd overlook the fact that it's over hyped and recommend it to everyone.
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I still want to see The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's been talked about so much, I sorta feel like I need to see it. I'm not really in a hurry to get it, but I'll probably buy it eventually.

Beck seems really cool. I've been wanting to see it, but I've kinda been trying to talk myself out of it. Considering the length of the manga, I'm a bit afraid the anime won't end well and then I'll have to get the manga. And since the manga is rather long, I'm not sure I'd have room for the volumes, not to mention 25 volumes would cost quite a bit... But if it's really so great, maybe I should just go ahead and try it. I'm curious to hear what Greg Ayres singing sounds like too.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the enjoyment of Haruhi is helped by having an interest in philosopy or at least in the idea of Solipsism. While the series is extremely funny in my opinion, I personally found myself more interested in exploring how Haruhi's unique importance impacts everyone and everything around her.

I don't think it's a matter of understanding the series or "getting" it so much as what part of it you judge to be most important. As with any series, you can interpret things in your own way, find subtext that may or may not actually exist, and enjoy that. Having no preconceptions helps tremendously.

Anyway, again, not trying to make anyone change their minds. Just thought I'd pop back and add a little more explanation to why I like the series since the issue remains. Plus, I kind of didn't comment on the rest of the column. Forgive me.

I'm finding myself interested in Beck now too, having read the comments in both Bamboo's column and here in this thread. I was curious how people would react to the dubbed songs since that sort of thing evokes screams of bloody murder from some fans. Personally, I love how Funimation does the English versions of songs. I wish more English dubs would were done like that.

I'm a tad curious as to which language track Bamboo listened to with Karin. I would very much like to have her opinion on the English dub given that it's from Odex and very few people seem to like their work. (I'm a vampire addict from way back, so Karin is still on my list and I'd like to know if I should bump it up in priority.)

Come on sweet Bamboo, you know you want to tell me more about that dub. I'll send you pics of my anime/manga collection. (Or my GI Joe collection. It qualifies me for obsessed status easily even with half of it in boxes. I could conquer a country if they were real.)

I was a tad disappointed that Peach Girl was a rental, but for reasons I don't understand, I actually like Sae so hearing that she's going to stay twisted and keep scoring victories for a while makes me kind of happy.

I'm not too surprised about Freedom, though I am a little surprised it wasn't in the perishable section. The plot doesn't sound all that interesting even to me, a guy who likes quiet shows where nothing happens. It doesn't really seem like a series suited to a HD release either. Plus, there's that BV price-tag and lack of English dub. You might as well buy the R2 and Mystery Science Theater 3000 the thing while watching it because the English subs don't really add that much more to the experience.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm finding myself interested in Beck now too, having read the comments in both Bamboo's column and here in this thread. I was curious how people would react to the dubbed songs since that sort of thing evokes screams of bloody murder from some fans. Personally, I love how Funimation does the English versions of songs. I wish more English dubs would were done like that.

Actually, all the songs, at least in the first volume, were already in English. If there was anything the die-hard fans would be distraught over it would be that the songs in the English version are "cleaner" than in the Japanese version (Chris Beveridge from AoD falls into this).
Ingrod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I think the enjoyment of Haruhi is helped by having an interest in philosopy or at least in the idea of Solipsism. While the series is extremely funny in my opinion, I personally found myself more interested in exploring how Haruhi's unique importance impacts everyone and everything around her.

I don't think it's a matter of understanding the series or "getting" it so much as what part of it you judge to be most important. As with any series, you can interpret things in your own way, find subtext that may or may not actually exist, and enjoy that. Having no preconceptions helps tremendously.

I like the sci-fi part of the show, remember me some novel from Philip K. Dick, and in the series are some direct references to sci-fi books, how the novel read for Yuki, and the "antropic principle" nombred in some chapter is a real cientific speculation.

Both things, the sligltly deep sci-fi plot and the marketing and cliche are presents in the show giving in result a good combination, after all that is how a good TV show must be.

After read the whole thread I gained some interest in Beck now Smile
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Actually, all the songs, at least in the first volume, were already in English. If there was anything the die-hard fans would be distraught over it would be that the songs in the English version are "cleaner" than in the Japanese version (Chris Beveridge from AoD falls into this).
To be fair, it's probably quite reasonable to dub it over. The characters are singing in-character and it would be weird to suddenly have English turn Engrish in the dub with different voices. Especially since the songs themselves, like you said, are already in Eng[l/r]ish and not Japanese.

The "cleanliness" makes sense with the dub adaptation.
kolibri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
OK, I don't mean to open a flame door here, but I have to insist that Haruhi fans stop throwing around the word "get." What about those of us that "got" it, but just didn't find it particularly remarkable? One of my biggest pet peeves is when fandom revolving around a certain series invalidates any and all negative criticism, however well-grounded it may be, by saying people just don't "get" it (Eva fans in particular are notorious for this). I can understand "connect with," and maybe that's what you meant, but realize that "get" is a loaded word with elitist connotations. (For the record, yes, I'm a "meh" Haruhi person, but I'm also an avid Eva fan and I would never divide fans and non-fans into blanket categories of "they got it" or "they didn't get it.")

While I understand how people can interpret "get" as offensive when you told that you're not "getting" it, I'm going to disagree with the Haruhi vs EVA comparison (both series which I BTW love deeply, for very different reasons).

Haruhi is not complicated. If you don't "get" it, it's most likely because the genre or the humour or the storytelling or the characters don't appeal to you. It took me few episodes to start to tolerate Haruhi molesting Mikuru... But even though it's clever, it's not rocket science - you don't need to make two movies and dozens of books to explain the ending.

Now EVA is different - I think probably most people who don't like it don't actually "get" it on a deeper emotional level. If it makes me elitist so be it - but I think depression is very much one of those things that if you don't have personal experience of it you don't "get" it. And people who don't will say things like "why can't you just cheer up" and "gather yourself" and other sort of puerile crap that shows how insensitive they are towards this completely crippling illness.

I must be in a sensitive mood, since I don't usually bother ranting about EVA - you either like it or not, and it's nothing off me either way. But I truly think most EVA-haters haven't been exposed to real-life depression and therefore have no way of "getting" Shinji's character. Sorry if this is too OT...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Come on sweet Bamboo, you know you want to tell me more about that dub. I'll send you pics of my anime/manga collection. (Or my GI Joe collection. It qualifies me for obsessed status easily even with half of it in boxes. I could conquer a country if they were real.)

Aww, butter me up, and I'll tell you everything! And you know what, I'd love to see your GI Joe collection.

The dub for Karin is kind of on/off at times, I feel. Some of the characters are alright, like Karin's parents. They're such caricatures that any goofy voice will pass, and the dub does their goofy old-money personas justice. The main guy's voice.... eh. He emotes very awkwardly, and it's very forced at times, like a high school theater audition. I'm not a big fan of Odex dubs, really; I find that most of the time, they lack the experience and directorial nuances of the US studios. Theron reviewed the first volume of Karin as well; you can read his opinions of the dub there. Overall, he had a more positive reaction to the show than I did.

Quote:
I was a tad disappointed that Peach Girl was a rental, but for reasons I don't understand, I actually like Sae so hearing that she's going to stay twisted and keep scoring victories for a while makes me kind of happy.

Anime hyper Really? Sae? You like Sae? You and I need to step outside and exchange fisticuffs, sir.

My biggest problem with her is that she's so unrealistic. Like, who dons a wig to impersonate some guy's girlfriend? That's like... that's like, psychiatrist-worthy. Oh man, just thinking about it gives me the creeps.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Aww, butter me up, and I'll tell you everything! And you know what, I'd love to see your GI Joe collection.
Cool! Pics to come, probably by the weekend. (Though I apologize in advance for the fact that quite a bit remains disorganized or boxed.)

SakechanBD wrote:
The dub for Karin is kind of on/off at times, I feel. Some of the characters are alright, like Karin's parents. They're such caricatures that any goofy voice will pass, and the dub does their goofy old-money personas justice. The main guy's voice.... eh. He emotes very awkwardly, and it's very forced at times, like a high school theater audition. I'm not a big fan of Odex dubs, really; I find that most of the time, they lack the experience and directorial nuances of the US studios. Theron reviewed the first volume of Karin as well; you can read his opinions of the dub there. Overall, he had a more positive reaction to the show than I did.
This is why I wanted to get a little more of your take. I usually agree with Theron's assessments but given the special case here (I've never heard anything from Odex before) I'm reading every reliable review I can before I buy. I may not always agree with your opinions, but I can certainly count on them being well thought out.

SakechanBD wrote:
Anime hyper Really? Sae? You like Sae? You and I need to step outside and exchange fisticuffs, sir.

My biggest problem with her is that she's so unrealistic. Like, who dons a wig to impersonate some guy's girlfriend? That's like... that's like, psychiatrist-worthy. Oh man, just thinking about it gives me the creeps.
Pops out contacts and slips on specs.

You wouldn't hit a guy wearing glasses, would you? Cool

I don't know why I like Sae. Maybe I've got a masochistic side I wasn't aware of. Just something about the character appeals to me. She does remind me of a girl I went to school with. Although that girl wasn't quite so psycho. (Close, but not quite.)

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for bad girls though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Cloe:
Quote:
(For the record, yes, I'm a "meh" Haruhi person, but I'm also an avid Eva fan and I would never divide fans and non-fans into blanket categories of "they got it" or "they didn't get it.")

Actually, with the exception of yourself, the Haruhi fans have been a lot more expressive and polite about why they think MOHS is the bomb than the Evangelitologists. The latter group acted like you were an unsophisticated cretin, if you trashed anything from Gainax. I remember one dude who thought FY was the epitome of craptastic anime. But, hey, we can't all write something intellectually-stimulating like Mahoromatic. Rolling Eyes
Mediaminer77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
YES! YES!

I'm not alone in this, I actually ranted about MOHS a while back and got slammed 10:1 saying I was a idiot. (Okay, so I was uber pissed and not thinking straight but come on. a**holes)

Since then, I've been reading a lot of reviews and looking at clips and I still can't find just what is so good about it. Yeah, it might be a descent show but the one thing that still grinds me is the ana\chrono order and the self-referencing\ironic\satiric humor was just dull.

Quick tip, if you have to look up Wikipedia to learn what the show is really about or find out what's going on, there's something wrong with the series. Like Boogiepop Phantom, I couldn't really understand it and had to look it up just to understand the story.
Iconoclast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
It took me few episodes to start to tolerate Haruhi molesting Mikuru...

That was one of the things that made it difficult for me to become interested in the series. Anyone else find Haruhi's constant harassment of Mikuru, (till she was in tears) more disturbing than funny? Maybe, I'm just being sensitive and it really is just an anime and good fun but I guess it just bugged me and made it hard to watch among other things in the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mediaminer77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
That one scene made me speechless for 5 minutes. Shocked

Thinking, 'WTF!?'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6