• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Posts World-Manga-Based Animation on MySpace

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
Live Action Blood! Drool!!!! I cant wait!
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
This is actually a really cool idea. I can't wait to see A Midnight Opera on Wednesday. It'd be awesome if they made one for MBQ too although the language may be too much for the "target audience."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Since Tokyoslop has tried to convince people that their OEL junk is manga, I guess they will try to get people to think these animated clips are anime.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious how involved the creators are in these works....... TP ran into some issues with their Radio Drama/Podcast versions of some of their titles, as the creators weren't aware they were being produced [though some also knew such things were part of their contracts... how much involvement/permission is involved depends on their contracts I guess.]

I Luv Halloween looks to have fairly impressive animation for a web based cartoon, and the use of cel shading is pretty good overall. From what I've seen of the manga, it sticks close to it's style. For a webbased show, it's not half bad. I was expecting them to just touch up the book's art with some Flash animation. Though I'm curious how they'll handle something more elaborate like Bizenghast [I seriously have to get vol.2 soonish now that vol.3 is coming out].

What's to watch though, is if any of this stuff gets on TV.... I imagine this is TP's attempt at doing pilots for these books [hence the short run times], and seeing if there's any interest from broadcasters [or DVD companies- Manga Entertainment is doing insane numbers on those Hellboy dvd's, and given some OEL titles sell as well as TP's more popular manga titles, there is an audience]

ps--- before you go and randomly bash [no context=bashing] domestic creators, try making a comic yourself, armchair manga editors of the world.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Eww. Eww. EWW.

MySpace is the Devil. End of story.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
Since Tokyoslop has tried to convince people that their OEL junk is manga, I guess they will try to get people to think these animated clips are anime.

Hey. Try WATCHING before you make comments like this. They've had a lot of flops with their English titles, but I Luv Halloween is actually half decent. I'm pleased with how it turned out. Glad to see it's not just coloring in the book.

Now, when's Dramacon coming?
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
Eww. Eww. EWW.

MySpace is the Devil. End of story.

Yeah, MySpace is pretty evil. I hope TP also puts these up on their homepage as well, so we can avoid going to MySpace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1