• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-07-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Real Justin Bailey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
As long as we're on the topic of "anime vs. other cartoons" why not mention cartoons from countries besides the U. S.?

I thought The Triplets of Belleville was one of the best animated movies ever made. It was less restrained than a lot of anime and it reminded me of the old silent films.

Works by Russian animator Aleksandr Petrov may not have much narrative impact, but they belong to a small group of movies that are so beautiful to watch that the rest doesn't matter.

I've only seen clips, but Czech animators Jiri Barta and Jan Svankmajer certainly have an intriguing style.

If you really do want to see great animation from America, check out the hard to find A Wish for Wings that Work. It stars the characters from the Bloom County comic strip. It delivers the kind of crazy fun only capable in animation.
Jamee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Answerman said:

Quote:
It's okay if other people like what you like.

THANK YOU! That needed to be said!

I've never encountered rude staffers at any of the conventions I've been to, but every year I go to Heroes Con and there is this one anime booth where the dealers NEVER EVER smile! I'm talking 5 or 6 consecutive years I've been going and not so much as a fake courtesy smile! If you've ever been to Heroes Con you probably know who I'm talking about (there is so little anime stuff at Heroes Con that I'm not even going to go next year).
Warrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
There is such a thing as artistic nudity. Examples can be found in art museums all over the world. Ancient Greek artists even had a concept known as 'heroic nudity', but I digress.

As for the Ghost in the Shell film, the Major isn't actually nude when using her thermoptic camouflage. She is wearing a bodystocking. You can see a collar line at her neck, and the skin on her face is a different color than the rest of her body. People who engage in strenuous athletic activity often wear skimpy, formfitting attire. It can be easily worn under other clothing, ready for use at a moment's notice.

There are a number of reasons why she wears a trenchcoat and then strips down when going into action. She probably uses the camo for only the critical part of the operation in order to conserve power, so a trenchcoat would be useful as she gets into position and waits. A covert operative doesn't want to attract too much attention, and a woman in a trenchcoat attracts less attention than a woman in a sheer bodystocking. The coat can also conceal her machine gun until she needs it.
The Real Justin Bailey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Warrick wrote:
As for the Ghost in the Shell film, the Major isn't actually nude when using her thermoptic camouflage. She is wearing a bodystocking.

I was actually aware of this when writing the rant, but thought mentioning it might weaken my argument. I still stand by my statements, however. The bodysuit is like nudity without actually being nude. I would not say this if the bodysuit was not the same color as the Major's skin. That and the fact that its so tight her nipples are clearly visible give everyone the first impression (and many the second and third impression) that the Major is indeed naked. Its actually pretty clever of Oshii to put her in that bodysuit, its not so preposterous as having her run around naked, but it has the same effect as if she were. I also want to point out you do see Motoko nude when her body is being assembled in the opening credits, and I believe when she is scuba diving, not to mention the nude robot found at the side of the road.
Heart Wing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
pure awesome. If you didn't know, the flake of the week is a parody of a song by an awesome band named CAKE called Short Skirt/Long Jacket. yay.
Elves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
I think that the kid who was asking about Japanese anime vs. American shows was probably just comparing animated stuff. I know that if it was my question I would have just kept it limited to animated series - but that's just me so I may be full of it.

Anyway, I wanted to say that a lot of shows (outside of PBS) do seem to be really dumb and inconsequential. I readily admit that I'm not an avid watcher of American animated shows because the content seems so shallow whenever I do stop my channel surfing to watch the offending animated content (Sponge Bob Squarepants anyone?). However, there are gems: Daria and Avatar: The Last Airbender come easily to my mind.

I also wanted to voice that I don't consider American "stupid humor" to really stand beside comedy from Japan because, to me, the stupid humor is just not funny. Albeit that's a personal opinion, so I'll just stick with more dramatic fair, which is sorely lacking from American animated television in my opinion. But maybe I just haven't watched enough since I've had my nose buried in books for the past few years since I've been in college. I guess it's just hard to compare a long, in depth story from Japan with something from America which, if it was told by our animation, would cram the whole 26 episodes into one - maybe three if we're lucky. I just don't think that American shows spend enough time exploring emotions, it's all about the action. So that may be where the thought that Japanese anime is better. I've even growled about how easily the kids on Avatar accept things and come to epiphanies about how they should have done (X) thing so fast - they hardly think about it sometimes *grr*, but I'm still watching it because it's a great story that does indeed span multiple episodes with one main plot.

Okay, that was long. Shutting up now. Smile
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
The Return of MasterYeshua Exclamation

Alright, it's time for me to clarify this debate of Anime vs. American TV shows. First of all, I agree with the Answerman that comparing the top titles in Anime to lower level titles in American TV is foolish. However, I believe a comparison between the highest quality Anime has to offer vs the highest American TV has to offer will reveal Anime's superiority.

Evangelion
Trigun
GunGrave
Full Metal Alchemist
Ruroni Kenshin/ Samurai X
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Welcome to the NHK
Gundam series
Wolf Rain
Serial Experiment Lain
Ghost in the Shell
Death Note
His and Her Circumstance
Hellsing
Soul Taker
Berserk
DBZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Bleach
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Noir
ROD

I could go on and on, but I think it's obvious. I challenge anyone who disagrees to generate an all time list of American shows to match.

I also believe that even mentioning Anime in the same sentence with American cartoons is utterly ridiculous. Simple foolery.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:38 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
jetz wrote:

Artistic Nudity – How come nudity in anime is more common with female characters though? The only reason that I can think of is that the female body is more shapely and complex, but if that’s the case it seems nudity in anime is only for aesthetic reasons.

I’m not saying I want to see more nude guys in anime, but if there is such a thing as artistic nudity, it shouldn’t be limited to females.

Shonen gives us many moments of male nudity.

Like Saint Seiya(Shun Andromeda, Gemini Saga. Lizard Misty spring to mind) We saw Yakumo naked in the 3X3 Eyes manga before Dark Horse dropped it. And Goku/DB/Z. Vegeta had a nice rear, Dark Schneider/Bastard, And a lot of the guys in shonen fight shirtless, sp they're at least half-naked.

Not that I'm, keeping track.

ANd yaoi gives us naked guys not just having sex. They can be taking a shower thinking about stuff. Or changing clothes. ANd well drawn 6 packs are nice-I prefer them to the simple straight shape (no muscle tone depicted-doesn't have to be DBZ muscle. The Saiyuki dudes look good unclothed) SOme of the artists pay too much attention to nipples-no muscle detail, but detailed nipples.

So if you can't find naked guys, you just aren't looking. Most of the gals seem to fall into fan service

You're right - I'm not looking for naked guys in anime but you have to admit naked girls in anime are more common, you just don't find them in hentai/ecchi and they get more attention too. When you see a naked guy in anime, it's either you don't care or you get a laugh out of it. When you see a naked girl in anime, either you ignore it, get annoyed by it, admire it or get aroused by it (specially if you're a guy)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:09 am Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
DBZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Bleach
Noir
Gundam series
-> including Wing? G Gundam? Seed Destiny?

Um okay, I guess for my best American TV I'll go with:

Jerry Springer
Baywatch
Judge Judy

Those are all decent at the very best. Infact, of all those you posted, theres only a handful that Id really call outstanding. Also it doesnt seem fair to add movies unless youre then gonna include american movies.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:09 am Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
[Anime is SUPERIOR]

I really want to believe this whole post is just sarcasm. But coming from the "best looking guy in the forums with a Bachelor's Degree of Science in Computer Programming but can't figure out how to use Photobucket", I'm not sure it is Confused ...
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
I challenge anyone who disagrees to generate an all time list of American shows to match.

American cartoons
Bugs Bunny
Bullwinkle

Nothing else matters. (OK Johnny Quest was really cool when I was little....)

Sure, I'm kind of joking with this list. My point is, you're comparing apples to oranges. American animation walks a different path. Japanese and American styles compliment one another. It's like saying which are better books, fantasy series or short story anthologies? it depends on what you're looking for. Smart people enjoy both.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
The Real Justin Bailey wrote:
As long as we're on the topic of "anime vs. other cartoons" why not mention cartoons from countries besides the U. S.?

Examples

Those are awesome animation pieces, but are they cartoon? I always thought cartoon meant 'animation series that aired on television'. You're probably right though, my dictionary has three definition for 'animated cartoon' and only one of them mention television. If so, then I must revise my opinion and say that anime isn't better than western cartoon. Expand your horizon people.

To conclude I'd like to say that I completely agree with sunflower on the enjoying apples and oranges part.

Ps: Johnny Quest wasn't really cool when you were little, it still is, right NOW!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
MasterYeshua wrote:
The Return of MasterYeshua Exclamation
Evangelion
Trigun
GunGrave
Full Metal Alchemist
Ruroni Kenshin/ Samurai X
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Welcome to the NHK
Gundam series
Wolf Rain
Serial Experiment Lain
Ghost in the Shell
Death Note
His and Her Circumstance
Hellsing
Soul Taker
Berserk
DBZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Bleach
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Noir
ROD

Addams Family
Wild Wild West-loved it as a kid & can still watch it & it's better than Naruto easily
Rescue Me
Supernatural-horror fan that I am, I love this show & it's better than YuYu Hakusho
CHarmed up to about Season 4- I found the gals to be more realistic female heroines than Buffy & I'll take it over Utena
Brisco County Jr-I still have to get that box. I loved that show.
Brimstone-I wish they'd release a box. what I remember was great, but it was so long ago. John Glover rocked as the Devil.
Dinosaurs-just finished the 2nd box.
Twilight Zone

And the thing with male nudity is I sort of agree with a local radio show host who says naked women are nice to look at by the guys--there's not all that much which is why I really don't mind if we see "dangly parts" on guys as this DJ calls them (guys & gals have dangly parts). A naked butt on a guy is nice. Seeing all the way down, but not quite there is good enough. Seeing it on guys is more -wow-we got full frontal surprise than-mmm we got full frontal because usually the full frontal on guys is more in the artistic-like Go Nagai & his love of people fighting naked. (Personally, I'd think one would want to protect the dangly parts with something, but if it was good enough for the Olympics...) Although, yeah, Devilman may be naked, but he is also fuzzy down there. And we get a lot of the "invisa-p"--everything BUT the dangly is drawn so it must be in another dimension. Or our fighter has somehow found a way to hide it from view( Or is horribly maimed? Eunich fighter?).
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
MasterYeshua wrote:
[Anime is SUPERIOR]

I really want to believe this whole post is just sarcasm. But coming from the "best looking guy in the forums with a Bachelor's Degree of Science in Computer Programming but can't figure out how to use Photobucket", I'm not sure it is Confused ...

You forgot to mention the 4.0 GPA. I'm deadly serious by the way.
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
MasterYeshua wrote:
DBZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
Naruto
Bleach
Noir
Gundam series
-> including Wing? G Gundam? Seed Destiny?

Um okay, I guess for my best American TV I'll go with:

Jerry Springer
Baywatch
Judge Judy

Those are all decent at the very best. Infact, of all those you posted, theres only a handful that Id really call outstanding. Also it doesnt seem fair to add movies unless youre then gonna include american movies.

Wow. You must truly despise shonen jump. I have seen over 250 series, this list is merely off the top of my head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9