• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ouran Host Club, Sasami: Magical Girl Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
skimmed through most of the posts in this thread. I think I'm the only person here who really didn't want FUNi to get this particular license. It's not that I hate FUNi; quite the opposite really. They do good work. (I can't get enough of the Yu Yu Hakusho dub.) But I really wanted ADV to get this one. FUNi just normally does loud, actiony, comedic types of series. I'm just not sure how well they'll be able to pull off the softer, charismatic, graceful voices that are necessary for Ouran. I watch series like Chevalier and GetBackers, and I can hear that ADV is definitely able to do it. I just don't want to see my favorite series butchered up just for profits. (It's already happened to Saiunkoku and Shounen Onmyouji. I couldn't take it if it happened to Ouran, too!)

I don't think Shounen Onmyouji got butchered up. I'm used to dubs and I kinda think it sounds fine. I hope I'm not being mean or anything. Anyway, if Vic Mignogna doesn't get the role of Tamaki, I think he might be a killer Hikaru along with Caitlin Glass as Renge. Although I haven't heard her voice yet, I'm thinking Carrie Savage should do Hunny kinda like how she does Mokona from Tsubasa. Maybe the guy who does Syaoran should do Kaoru.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
even though i hoped that Ouran wouldnt get licensed for quite a while, i hoped that Geneon - AKA Pioneer - would get it. they do awesome dubs, and for that they are my favorite licensing company. i was disappointed when Funimation got it.

Well, Geneon DID get The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, so i guess they thought that was enough.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, Geneon DID get The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, so i guess they thought that was enough.

Uh, Geneon has nothing to do with Haruhi Suzumiya. Kadokawa has the license, and they are releasing it through Bandai Entertainment.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

All companies are in business to make money and BV's practices, while different, do not make them any better or worse than the other companies. ~Zalis

No. There is a difference between what everyone else does and what companies like BV do. It's called "blatancy."

There's a large percentage of anime; a large percentage of what the media industries churn out, that do not need to be created. Simply because there's no care for the actual content.

Companies like $unrise and Bandai Visual like to see idol/music CDs, books, and other crap along with the anime and subsequent DVDs. But for those of us who just want to watch anime, the end results are unwatchable; unworthy of the $20-100 that is the "walking-around money" people work hard for.

Also: I have nothing against companies trying to make money. My argument, which I'll continue to make, is that companies have to be responsible for creations THAT ARE WORTH MONEY.

I could say "company A (Geneon) is making money off of releasing product X (Higurashi) in Region 1, giving it an English dub, etc." You can fill in the parentheses with your favorite company or product. But that's as far as I go.

Finally, please don't change what I type without speaking to me directly first. That makes you bias towards companies that some people do not like.

I'll mention that the other companies I do not like are Gainax, Kyoto Animation, and Shaft (amongst others). Gainax because of their hypocracy, being anti-otaku and somewhat catering to them. KyotoAni for inadvertantly creating a monster that is the Haruhi fanbase (and continuing to cater to the fanbase as oppose to creating original content). And Shaft for trying to place in references that have nothing to do with the shows they're responsible for.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Gaia is gonna show Ouran on their cinemas? If that happens, I'll be happy!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8