• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ouran Host Club, Sasami: Magical Girl Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
bakaShin wrote:
CloverKuroba wrote:
CatzCradle wrote:
I find this news really amusing because right after watching this, I came here and found out it was actually true. Lol.

Yay Ouran! Very Happy

Wow, that video is so horribly biased it's not even funny.
Well, actually it is quite amusing. Heh.

funny stuff, this is how i imagine the dubbing to be also. i just feel they are just gonna give them horrible accents and make honey into either a whiny kid or a mature adult, it wont be cute at all.

I can only guess getting sasami is to get every and all things tenchi.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I don't agree with you at all.
If you're that opposed to a dub, just switch to the Japanese language track. It's not a hard thing to do. Rolling Eyes
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
While I'm a Tenchi fan, I can't say I have much interest in Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club. I may give it a try, but we'll see. Now if they had relicensed Pretty Sammy, THAT I would have definitely gotten. Regardless, I"m pretty sure Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club is going to sell poorly. I hope they got it cheap....

I've only seen the first episode and I glanced at some others raw. My Japanese isn't good enough for me to operate without subtitles so I never just sat down to watch the whole thing.

Still, the Japanese did an interesting thing with this latest non-canon Tenchi spinoff. They didn't bring back any original seiyuu and actually cast young girls in the roles of Sasami and her friends. I actually found I enjoyed not hearing adult female seiyuu pretending to be young girls for a change (not that some having done fine jobs, but one can really tell the difference when an adult does the voice and when a real child does the voice).

Anyway, I'll do my part to push the title. FUNimation hedged its bets though by only licensing the first title and not the sequel series. So they are no doubt thinking it could sell poorly as well, but at least they are making the attempt. Anime smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Sasami Magic Girl Club is just AIC's brand of opiate for the moé otaku. I'm very surprised FUNi even bothered, but it might be a hit with some, and they can't be that many hence the right to refuse the second season. I hate to say it but it's really a title safe enough for 4Kids to licence though I'd rather they didn't anyway.

Ouran looks like yet another "Boys Over Flowers".

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Just like I hoped for. Now if Laura Bailey will be playing Haruhi and the English release will come with those cute chibi figurines that came with the JP version all will be well.
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Funimation just assured they're going to be #1 for the next five years.

Funimation just grabbed The Grand Prize of current anime licensing in OHSHC.

So how long before the rest of the industry admits it just CANNOT compete and starts consolidation?
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Just like I hoped for. Now if Laura Bailey will be playing Haruhi and the English release will come with those cute chibi figurines that came with the JP version all will be well.

Who else do you *THINK* would be Haruhi?? Smile
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Looks like my analysis was correct. *prepares for forum meltdown*.

EDIT: Thanks for the birthday present, Funimation Smile

I think the only real "analysis" necessary is that there is no real competition for Funi in the American market (Funi almost = ADV+Viz _combined_ in market share -- and this will certainly take them over the top and past that), so why would a Japanese company with a definitely tier-AA or AAA title like Ouran even consider the competition?
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
Who else do you *THINK* would be Haruhi?? Smile

Out of all the female VAs that worked for Funi, I found that Ms. Bailey is the one who would sound the closest to what Sakamotto Maaya sounded as Haruhi IMO, do you have another VA in mind?
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Vic hating is because he just...would not sound good as Tamaki. Or ANYONE in the whole cast ><. I don't think there's any chance for Liam O'Brien now, though, is there? *whine*
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for Ouran, and I'm happy that it wasn't licensed until Haruhi Suzumiya was already halfway released in North America as, between Haruhi and Ah My Goddess! series 2, I have very little money left for other anime.

I might have gotten excited for Sasami Mahou Shoujo Club a couple of years ago, but Moetan does the exact same magical girl parody thing much better. Pastel Ink and Tempera Sumi are the true worthy successors to Pretty Sammy and Pixy Misa.

I'm still waiting for Lucky Star and Ichigo Mashimaro OVA to be announced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can think of one person who will be pleased with the Sasami license.

Maryohki wrote:
Vic hating is because he just...would not sound good as Tamaki. Or ANYONE in the whole cast ><.

4997 fans would probablt disagree..
ALso.. there is no-one on the Japanese cast list named Tamaki?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Well, I can think of one person who will be pleased with the Sasami license.

Maryohki wrote:
Vic hating is because he just...would not sound good as Tamaki. Or ANYONE in the whole cast ><.

4997 fans would probablt disagree..
ALso.. there is no-one on the Japanese cast list named Tamaki?

uh...Tamaki is the "king" of the Host Club, the tall, blond male that most customers visit? Zalis' avatar? Main character besides Haruhi.

And the Risembool Rangers can have him as Ed, but he would not be a good Tamaki. ><.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I just got back from Otakon and Look like Funi got season one of Jigoku Shoujo, I do not know if i am happy about this and they plan on selling Oct 23 of this Year I not sure why this was not included in the annoucement. I actually have the pencil board
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
I just got back from Otakon and Look like Funi got season one of Jigoku Shoujo,

They announced Jigoku Shoujo several months ago, actually.
Akari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:

I think that Laura Bailey would be an excellent choice for Haruhi. I really loved her performance as Tohru Honda in Fruits Basket. She was a perfect fit for Furuba's Tohru and I think that she would be a perfect fit for Ouran's Haruhi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8