• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - July 21 - 27

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I also love the "Season's Call" second Opening for Blood+. Very awesome. Great as a rock song on its own, not even limited to just JRock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
So people are admitting that Astro Boy has bad animation (it's 40 years old.....what would you expect), bad dubbing (english dub......99% of times it sucks), cheesy story, but STILL recomend it? Why? There are so much more fun shows to watch
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
So people are admitting that Astro Boy has bad animation (it's 40 years old.....what would you expect), bad dubbing (english dub......99% of times it sucks), cheesy story, but STILL recomend it? Why? There are so much more fun shows to watch

Nostalgia is a good blind to prevent people from seeing the bad things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
malikchan17

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
TexasAnimeFan wrote:
I think Noein and Tokko are also a week behind .

So are Ergo Proxy and Tenjho Tenge. The episodes listed are from the 14th. This week's episodes were re-1124c41+ for Ergo Proxy and Breakthrough for Tenjho Tenge.
jel123 wrote:
Another point of errata;
Under REPEATS/STRIPS SciFi - Street Fighter II V (has this been on SciFi before?) has last weeks listing, this week it's eps. 3 and 4 (Tue. 24th 12:00/12:30am).

Is Street Fighter II V really a repeat? I know it's been on Encore before but this is the first time it has been shown on Sci-fi.

Yes, it would still be considered a repeat even if on a new channel. That's why both Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh have been labeled as repeats even though Digimon was once on Fox and is now on ToonDisney and YGO was once on the WB and is now on 4KidsTV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jel123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
malikchan17 wrote:
Yes, it would still be considered a repeat even if on a new channel. That's why both Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh have been labeled as repeats even though Digimon was once on Fox and is now on ToonDisney and YGO was once on the WB and is now on 4KidsTV.
I was under the impression Premiere meant first time seen on a particular network.
How else do you explain Eureka 7 and Naruto on YTV listed under Premieres? these episodes have already been shown on CN.

Starting to think the omissions and inconsistencies are intentional - just to generate more comments in the forums Laughing
Canuckian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
It's actually easy to understand, you see Eureka Seven, and Naruto have never aired on any other channel in Canada, therefore they are first run, and premieres, as Cartoon Network is not available in Canada, and YTV is not available in the US.

So a Premiere is the first run of a show in a country, meaning if a show airs in the US, and then five months later in Canada, it is still a Premiere, for Canada.

Also, Brian, you may be interested in learning that Bakugan: Battle Brawlers is currently airing on the Canadian Channel Teletoon on Tuesdays at 7PM EST IIRC.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
TexasAnimeFan wrote:
I think Noein and Tokko are also a week behind .

So are Ergo Proxy and Tenjho Tenge. The episodes listed are from the 14th. This week's episodes were re-1124c41+ for Ergo Proxy and Breakthrough for Tenjho Tenge.

So did a new episode air on June 30 or something? I thought that they took one week to re-air the first 3 eps or something like that, from what I've read at one point. Now I'm confused.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: Whoops, double-posted by accident.

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Is Astro Boy really the first anime series? If you believe that a series is 'a group or a number of related or similar things, events, etc., arranged or occurring in temporal, spatial, or other order or succession; sequence' than wouldn't Momotaro's Sea Eagles and it's sequel Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors be the first anime series.

And ANN encyclopedia actually considers Otogi Manga Calendar to be the first one (apparently it's from 1961 or 62, while Astro Boy was from 1963).

It's a disgrace for an anime fan to do such mistakes! I want my money back!

Ok, I'm going to sleep now.
Wink
TexasAnimeFan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Thanks samuraiwalt , I hadn't been following those shows.

Drowning_Wolf & DmonHiro, Yes, the series you mentioned were animation series made in Japan before Astro Boy. However, Astro Boy is the first animated, Japanese series with an actual plot (as noted in ANN's encyclopedia article about the original series), and I think that is why it's widely considered the first anime.

I can now see why the remakes of the series were made (even though I haven't yet seen them myself)- the overall plot and characters are by far the highlight of the series. Obviously I could just buy a DVD of the remake, but I thought I'd give this a chance- I'm glad I did.
Ulto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
NOTHER EDIT: Does anyone else's words light up as if hyperlinked if they type out song and music ?

It's all over the site, a refrencing program of some sorts. I used to think it was adware, except it only shows up on this site. An ill-made attempt to get avertising money, or is it supposed to be helpful...?

Regardless, you'll notice (at least if you have the same browser as I do) that the links have double lines under them; why is anyones guess, but all of that type seem to be powered by the same site. Ask the administration why, I suppose... ¬_¬
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Because there's a certain warmth and humor to Tezuka's "cheesy" story? Because even though the animation is definitely limited, it's still full of personality and charm? And no, nostalgia doesn't enter into this equation at all - Astro Boy is far, far, FAR before my time, and I still find it awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
So did a new episode air on June 30 or something? I thought that they took one week to re-air the first 3 eps or something like that, from what I've read at one point. Now I'm confused.

They've been airing new episodes every week. They did re-air some episodes but they still showed new episodes that week and one week they aired the episodes a couple of hours later because they were showing Halloween.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:

They've been airing new episodes every week. They did re-air some episodes but they still showed new episodes that week and one week they aired the episodes a couple of hours later because they were showing Halloween.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up!
marklungo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
Dear Brian:

I'm always sad when you don't post "The Click."
When you have to miss a column, I feel sick.
When a new Click is posted, I shout "Hooray!"
I'm always amused by what you have to say.

Your latest "Click" is one of the best yet.
Did I enjoy your use of poetry? You bet!
As long as "The Click" is always this clever,
I'll be glad to read your column forever!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3