• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Code Geass, Three More Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
That's a huge amount of big updates from Bandai Ent. Finally acquiring Code Geass (complete with a ZRO Limit dub and a TV deal--just to show you they aren't playing around with this), Towards the Terra..., and My-Otome Zwei. It is also good to hear that Wendee Lee will be singing the songs in that particular episode in HS (she should be able to pull it off well).

I figured that they would pick up Geass, but I didn't think that they follow with a few other hit series. I guess this, along with the FUNimation-Ouran announcement, signals another turn in the prominence of Anime Expo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
So 4 licenses from Bandai, two of which were obvious and the other two are interesting surprises. We've all been waiting for them to finally announce Code Geass (episodes 24-25 later this week Very Happy) and I always knew it'd get a TV broadcast too, probably Adult Swim or maybe Sci-Fi.

The Mai-Otome OVA isn't surprising either but I didn't think they'd get it this early. Toward the Terra is very surprising since A) I didn't expect it to get licensed till next year (it's certainly not a title that the licensing companies would fight over) and B) I thought that either ADV or Geneon get it. I've seen the first twelve episodes but it can get really boring at times so I don't mind dropping it.

As for Ayakashi Ayashi...

Deltakiral wrote:
Wow Bandai three out of four shows that I am actually very interested, Ayakashi Ayashi is one of those shows that really went under the radar and I can't wait to see more of it.

"Under the radar" meaning... that it basically went ignored by both the Japanese (bad enough thta it resulted in it getting its episode count cut in half) and by those watched it through fansubs? I haven't heard too many good things from people who actually watched it all. I tried to get into it myself but it just wasn't interesting (it's not Bones's worse title though). I hope it does well for Bandai (dubbing it should be interesting).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'll be switching over to the Jpaanese track during "God Knows" and "Lost My Music" on the fourth Haruhi DVD, because BangZoom decided to the same godawful thing FUNimation and ADV does and have their dub actors pretend they know how to sing. But who knows? I didn't think Wendee Lee could even voice Haruhi well at first, and she's done a decent job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Looks like I'll be switching over to the Jpaanese track during "God Knows" and "Lost My Music" on the fourth Haruhi DVD, because BangZoom decided to the same godawful thing FUNimation and ADV does and have their dub actors pretend they know how to sing. But who knows? I didn't think Wendee Lee could even voice Haruhi well at first, and she's done a decent job.

I agree, I completely dislike it when songs get dubbed into English. However, I like to make exceptions to instances when the characters themselves have to sing, as it seems appropriate for the English VAs to sing their parts as well. It makes more sense if they sing the English translation rather than hearing the Japanese track kick in and throwing the belivability for a loop. If they can sing, then it's all the better, and judging by her voice, Lee should be able to pull it off well (I thought I remembered her singing somewhere...).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, no Vancouver dub for Code Geass? Talk about a lack of priorities! I mean, I'm not really a fan of the show, but I thought for sure that they'd want to push it for YTV.

Speaking of which, I guess there's been no word on if YTV is getting Final Plus?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
It's about freakin' time!!! This news makes me want to bearhug someone over at Bandai. Now I can finally own the amazing series that is Code Geass, and as an added bonus it will get exposure on US TV! Hopefully CG will air on [as]. It seems like it would fit in nicely.

Last edited by Jedi General on Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Canuckian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Could Code Geass be Eureka Seven's Replacement on YTV in 2008? I'm leaning towards a "Yes".
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
To Terra sounds like a tough sell, but I wonder if this means RightStuf will finally put the original anime on dvd.

calawain:
Quote:

Toward the Terra was one of those series I dropped after about 4 episodes, it was just an uninteresting story

Like manga, like anime. Rolling Eyes She basically swiped from Phoenix and Cyborg 009, which is why I was disappointed, too. But you can view it as a predecessor to X and Akira if you want...
icepick314

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I agree, I completely dislike it when songs get dubbed into English. However, I like to make exceptions to instances when the characters themselves have to sing, as it seems appropriate for the English VAs to sing their parts as well. It makes more sense if they sing the English translation rather than hearing the Japanese track kick in and throwing the belivability for a loop. If they can sing, then it's all the better, and judging by her voice, Lee should be able to pull it off well (I thought I remembered her singing somewhere...).

don't be so pessimistic before the DVD comes out....

Funimation's redubbing of the songs generally sucks balls...i can't think of single redubbed song that i really liked....maybe Fruits Basket opening but that was tolerable at best....

however ADV did an EXCELLENT job on Nerima Daikon Brothers...i was laughing at all the dialogues and songs in that series....coming from people who created Excel Saga you would expect craziness but ADV's superior translation of the gags and jokes made the DVD watching VERY enjoyable....

only thing i worry is that Bang Zoom or who ever is the translator somehow make the lyric match the music....the reason i can't stand Funimation's song translation is because one i can't stand the voice of the singer and two the lyric seemed unnatural to the music...if i hear redubbed song, i want the song to be sung as it was written in US....

i suspect Wendee Lee be practicing that song non-stop till the recording but whoever is doing the translation of the lyric better do a damm good job fitting it to the music....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aluria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I had hoped to finish Zwei before it got licensed but I guess not:( Least with it being only four episodes it should show up on one DVD.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Well, it couldn't be worse than the English dubbed singing voice for Meer Campbell in Gundam SEED DESTINY.

One voice actress, Chantal Strand, dubs the English speaking voice for Meer Campbell, while another voice actress, Jillian Michaels, dubs the English singing voice for Meer.

Even the most vocal supporters of Jillian Michaels's low, deep, insipid, off key singing voice for Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED, which does not sound at all like Chantal Strand's high pitched, screechy, chipmunk speaking voice for Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED - Lacus's English dub singing voice for "Fields of Hope" in Gundam SEED DESTINY isn't that bad - cannot say anything good about the terrible English dub singing voice for Meer Campbell in Gundam SEED DESTINY.

It's "gargling with razor blades" awful.

"Quiet Night C.E. 73," Meer Campbell's uptempo version of Lacus Clyne's "Shizukana Yoru ni" ("In the Quiet Night") in English is just horrible.

Try finding it on the Internet.

Unlike Lacus Clyne and Meer Campbell in the English dubs of Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED DESTINY, at least the same voice actress who dubs Haruhi Suzumiya's English speaking voice will also dub her English singing voice within episode 12 of the The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime.

We'll see if it's any better than the bad English dubbed singing of Lynn Minmei by her English dub voice actress Reba West in Robotech.

Stage fright, go away
This is my big day
This is my time to be a star!

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:17 pm; edited 6 times in total
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
While I do enjoy Code Geass, the first couple of episodes were pretty heavy on the "bad white people destroying Japan" and I could see that as a concern for an American TV broadcast. I don't see it as any sort of a problem for just a DVD release however, but we shall see.
I was actually more surprised to see the "Japan in subservient state to Whities" aspect of the scenario in Code Geass given that it's, well, Japan.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Goddamn it, they're redubbing "God knows..." & "Lost my music"!!!

Oh for flip's sake....
a) Isn't it rather stupid for the character to suddenly start singing in a different language and with a different set of vocal chords?
b) They aren't removing or denying you access to anything. You can switch langage track if if bothers you that much. One finger, all it takes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
First Ouran, now Geass.

Two quite staggeringly important announcements from Otakon, along with some very interesting and welcome news about many other series with a less vocal fanbase.

Does anyone else think it's at least slightly significant these were NOT made at AX? :/ (Yes, I did read that the deal for Ouran wasn't made until just before this convention. But it still seems a bit suspicious to me... ;- )

Personally, I'm utterly thrilled by the Otakon licenses. Ouran was my favourite series from last year (along with Saiunkoku Monogatari) and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a swooning fangirl for Lelouche. Hehehe. Wink Plus I'm really pleased about Ayakashi Ayashi and Terra E, I hope they do well here.

All of my favourite series of the past few years have been licensed now -- Ouran, Suzumiya Haruhi, Mushishi, SaiMono, Geass and Emma -- all but one. I'm with Deltakiral, where's my Monster? Mr. Green
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
woot for Code Geass...i've only seen the frist episode- but it looks promising
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4