• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Code Geass, Three More Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zalas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Looks like I'll be switching over to the Jpaanese track during "God Knows" and "Lost My Music" on the fourth Haruhi DVD, because BangZoom decided to the same godawful thing FUNimation and ADV does and have their dub actors pretend they know how to sing. But who knows? I didn't think Wendee Lee could even voice Haruhi well at first, and she's done a decent job.

Eh, nothing a little Antares Autotune wouldn't fix (j/k)
And on a more serious note, I'm glad they got Toward the Terra. It had been one of the shows I had been following for a bit, and it felt like a very solid show compared to some of the other stuff that had been coming out, although it's not very flashy or anything.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
All of my favourite series of the past few years have been licensed now -- Ouran, Suzumiya Haruhi, Mushishi, SaiMono, Geass and Emma -- all but one. I'm with Deltakiral, where's my Monster? Mr. Green
I think everyone's forgetting that doctor's don't make house calls. Wink

Considering how many "they actually licensed it?" annoucements have popped up in the last year, I'd say that one will probably come out too. (Here's me hoping that it gets picked up by one of the top companies. Anime smile )

Prepares for "where's Monster?" posts until it happens.

On the subject of the Haruhi English dub getting Wendee Lee singing: I'm pretty surprised and pleased by this annoucement. (Yeah like a hardcore dubbie like me was going to be angry. Rolling Eyes ) Although I am quite curious about whether or not she can really pull it off. While I happen to like many of the English versions of songs, it's hard to top the sheer vocal talent that Aya Hirano has. She's got one heck of a voice.

Still, considering that I was a supporter of Lee in this role early on, I'm willing to put a little faith in her.

It's not like I can't hit the button if I don't like it and temporarily switch tracks. My DVD player has a language button on it and I can and will use it. (Don't expect I'll have to though. Wendee Lee likely has a nice singing voice.)

It's too bad they don't use bilingual singers more often in Japan and just go ahead and make two versions of songs. Then you'd get the best of both worlds! (Yeah, I know, not going to happen. It's a nice dream though.)
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
While I happen to like many of the English versions of songs, it's hard to top the sheer vocal talent that Aya Hirano has.

I wouldn't say she's really all that great of a singer, and I think that another member of the SOS Brigade, Chihara Minori (Yuki) is a far better singer than she is. I would argue that it is highly possible that Wendee Lee might out-do her Japanese counterpart in singing the two insert songs, especially since the original God Knows was out of tune in quite a number of places.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
i wonder if code geass will revive interest for the futuristic/mecha/military type animes. i still like this genre but it seem since gundum wing, its gone downhill in the states.

All predictable licenses except Ayakashi Ayashi which i have no idea how they will market this.

On Lee's singing i hope its decent but im unsure of her talent in that department as well as how the songs will be translated. it will be hard to top Aya Hirano who was probably casted knowing the the role will require her talent in singing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm surprised by the Code Geass announcement. Bandai was bound to get it sooner or later, it was just a matter of when.

omnistry wrote:
Goddamn it, they're redubbing "God knows..." & "Lost my music"!!!

Yeah, how dare they dub songs in the English dub. That's terrible. Rolling Eyes

Ryvius213 wrote:
Code Geass ftw. But how are they going to handle the whole nationalism thing?

What's to handle? Just translate and dub the show like anything else. I really don't see how the politics and nationalism are so bad.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What's to handle? Just translate and dub the show like anything else. I really don't see how the politics and nationalism are so bad.

?

It's fair to look past the completely shock-value political plotline and just enjoy the show, but, especially early on, this series has such an extreme Japanese right-wing bent it was/is controversial even in Japan.

Mecha shows are otaku-heaven, and beside reliably heavy melodrama also have a long tradition of somewhat heavy-handed nationalism. Even giving Code Geass a bit of breathing room considering it's genre, the theme of evil white Christian Westerners invading and crushing a peaceful Japan just minding it's own business is pretty darn bold. Cackling gaijin mowing down children and the elderly until a heroic kamikaze bomber rushes to the defense yelling 'Nippon Banzai'; that's a nationalist wet dream. Do the Germans have a series where a sleepy Germany is crushed by 'Holy Israelia', while suicide bombers leap to the defense yelling 'For the Master Race'? Would that seem a little inappropriate?

Again, enjoy the show (though I do think this is a massively over-hyped program), ignore the shock-value politics. However, for a country that white-washes it's past militarism awfully hard, this show has moments that strike an ugly cord.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Quote:

?

It's fair to look past the completely shock-value political plotline and just enjoy the show, but, especially early on, this series has such an extreme Japanese right-wing bent it was/is controversial even in Japan.

Mecha shows are otaku-heaven, and beside reliably heavy melodrama also have a long tradition of somewhat heavy-handed nationalism. Even giving Code Geass a bit of breathing room considering it's genre, the theme of evil white Christian Westerners invading and crushing a peaceful Japan just minding it's own business is pretty darn bold. Cackling gaijin mowing down children and the elderly until a heroic kamikaze bomber rushes to the defense yelling 'Nippon Banzai'; that's a nationalist wet dream. Do the Germans have a series where a sleepy Germany is crushed by 'Holy Israelia', while suicide bombers leap to the defense yelling 'For the Master Race'? Would that seem a little inappropriate?

Again, enjoy the show (though I do think this is a massively over-hyped program), ignore the shock-value politics. However, for a country that white-washes it's past militarism awfully hard, this show has moments that strike an ugly cord.

You've expressed my sentiment on the show perfectly. It also annoys me that the series tries to sell itself having a heavy political focus despite the fact that it doesn't have any real politics at all. Just obtuse nationalism placed against an absurd scenario that is executed with total and completely unfounded sincerity.

The comparison to Germany seems extreme, but it really isn't. Code Geass essentially is a commercialized romantic portrayal of Japanese WWII sentiments.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Siegel Clyne wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Looks like I'll be switching over to the Jpaanese track during "God Knows" and "Lost My Music" on the fourth Haruhi DVD, because BangZoom decided to the same godawful thing FUNimation and ADV does and have their dub actors pretend they know how to sing. But who knows? I didn't think Wendee Lee could even voice Haruhi well at first, and she's done a decent job.

Well, it couldn't be worse than the English dubbed singing voice for Meer Campbell in Gundam SEED DESTINY.

Apparently, one voice actress, Chantal Strand, dubs the English speaking voice for Meer Campbell, while another voice actress, Jillian Michaels, dubs the English singing voice for Meer.

Even the most vocal fans of Jillian Michaels's low, deep, mature woman, sometimes off key singing voice for Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED, which does not sound at all like Chantal Strand's squeaky, high pitched, little girl speaking voice for Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED - Lacus's English dub singing voice (apparently by Jillian Michaels) for "Fields of Hope" in Gundam SEED DESTINY isn't that bad - cannot say anything good about the terrible English dub singing voice for Meer Campbell in Gundam SEED DESTINY.

It's "gargling with razor blades" awful.

"Quiet Night C.E. 73," Meer Campbell's uptempo version of Lacus Clyne's "Shizukana Yoru ni" ("In the Quiet Night") in English is just horrible.

Try searching for it on the Internet.

At least the same voice actress who dubs Haruhi Suzumiya's English speaking voice will also dub her English singing voice in the The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya anime itself.

We'll see if it's any better than the bad English dubbed singing of Lynn Minmei by her English dub voice actress Reba West in Robotech.

Stage fright, go away
This is my big day
This is my time to be a star!

Stage Lights Flashing The Feelings Smashing
My Heart And Soul Go Out To You
And This Feeling I Feel Is Really Unreal
This Is My Time To Be A Star

How in gods name do I remember all that, well it was the only song they ever used. Everytime Minmei went to sing a song, whether it was Shao Pai Long, My Boyfriend Is A Pilot, Zero G Love, or anything in the Japanese version it was changed to Stage Fright, complete with awkard sining. Must have heard that song about 20 times in the series.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You've expressed my sentiment on the show perfectly. It also annoys me that the series tries to sell itself having a heavy political focus despite the fact that it doesn't have any real politics at all. Just obtuse nationalism placed against an absurd scenario that is executed with total and completely unfounded sincerity.

The comparison to Germany seems extreme, but it really isn't. Code Geass essentially is a commercialized romantic portrayal of Japanese WWII sentiments.

To be fair, the 'nationalism' angle seems to die down after the first few episodes, and many Japanese thought it was a bit much. One of the creators had to craft a ham-handed statement saying that the invading army actually represented Japan and the area 11 Japan represented Korea. The common sense response was if your going to create an 'anti-war' piece that's critical of Japan, why not take a critical look at, well, Japan? It is annoying how nationalist jabs from Japan get a relative free pass from anime audiences, but also it's usually so over-the-top it doesn't rise to the level of taking it seriously.

In fact, my dislike of this show stems not principally from its xenophobic fluff (though it's offensive) but owes more to the fact that the writing/drama seems a lot more 'Junior High', so to speak, than many other mecha shows. Trying way too hard to be cool lead character cliche, laughably improbable military situations, rather sophomoric 'Who's the REAL villian here?' plot, etc. It has material/execution that seems serious and cool when your 14, and looks rather pompous and trite the farther you move from that age. But it does have giant robots that blow things up, and that's always a good thing.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:07 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
omnistry wrote:
Goddamn it, they're redubbing "God knows..." & "Lost my music"!!!

Oh for flip's sake....
a) Isn't it rather stupid for the character to suddenly start singing in a different language and with a different set of vocal chords?
b) They aren't removing or denying you access to anything. You can switch langage track if if bothers you that much. One finger, all it takes.
I don't see much of a problem with dubbing in-episode songs - it disrupts the "natural" feel of an English dub to suddenly switch to another language and throw subtitles on the screen. But hey, it's still better than Viz's handling of the songs in Full Moon wo Sagashite, where they didn't dub any songs...and didn't bother to provide a secondary subtitle track, so whenever people sing in that series, people who choose to watch the English track get the choice of switching subtitles on the fly with the remote, or listening to songs that they can't understand if they don't know Japanese. Way to fail, Viz, but at least you kept the purists happy by not dubbing songs Rolling Eyes
Dingé

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
Now that Code Geass is licensed, my only question becomes "Will Bandai keep all those awesome Pizzahut ads in the show?".
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Dingé wrote:
Now that Code Geass is licensed, my only question becomes "Will Bandai keep all those awesome Pizzahut ads in the show?".

Laughing

Well, at the very least, they might have to digitally blur the image. But, since they are there and with Pizza Hut's permission (or whatever), it would probably be easier to leave them alone.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
One of the creators had to craft a ham-handed statement saying that the invading army actually represented Japan and the area 11 Japan represented Korea.
Guffaw?

Wow, that's really... pathetic. I doubt Sunrise was so kind enough to pull a Germany for the entirety of Japan using Japan as a metaphor and exploring the plight of Korea under Japanese annexation.

I'm sure the history book rewrites reflect such kind sentiments.

Rolling Eyes
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Quote:

?

I'm really not sure what your response has to do with my post. My point is that I don't see why its anything to be worried about being changed in the R1 release. Which is what they "How are they going to handle it?" question implies.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The White Man is teh evil aspect of the show early on, as you know, it's getting a TV broadcast, to a "white audience."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4