• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Job Openings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* why couldn't you gusy be hiring for something i could really do. this makes me sad- but good luck to those who get it. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fxg97873

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought it was a wholly volunteer operation (except for the site owner of course).

Does the ad-revenue really cover the server/bandwidth expenses plus a paid staff and such?

mk2000
infoman99

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
sigh* indeed i really wish there could an ann advertisment project ykow to promote it on other anime sites or anime game-based sites...
i could do really well in that department,,i can't even wright code my math sucks bigtime Anime smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
fxg97873 wrote:
I actually thought it was a wholly volunteer operation (except for the site owner of course).

Does the ad-revenue really cover the server/bandwidth expenses plus a paid staff and such?

mk2000

Zac, tempest and Dan42 are fulltime here. Others who write columns and reviews also get paid for their time, on top of ads and industry things here and there.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
Good look to anyone who qualifies for those 2 positions. Now if they wanted an ANN personal chef I'd be so in lol. Alas I know next to nothing about programming. i at least took some business courses in college but nothing on prgramming. If it's beyond push the power on/off button then I'm stumped. Embarassed
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
Wish I was a little older, sure can use that $1200 right about now....
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
If it's beyond push the power on/off button then I'm stumped. Embarassed

Unfortunately I have yet to master such complicated tasks. Wink
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Good look to anyone who qualifies for those 2 positions. Now if they wanted an ANN personal chef I'd be so in lol. Alas I know next to nothing about programming. i at least took some business courses in college but nothing on prgramming. If it's beyond push the power on/off button then I'm stumped. Embarassed

lol, maybe during the conventions instead of eating greesy fast food from down the street they could hire a chef to make them bentos.

I'm a broadcasting student so I know some things about computers, but not much. (Mostly macs)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I have zero experience at pretty much anything you could hire someone for. Sad

I can write a mean essay, but unfortunately, my course work has otherwise prepared me to be of zero use to an anime website. (Heck, they probably won't need me even after I'm completely done with my education. What are the chances they'll need a lawyer?)
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Heck, they probably won't need me even after I'm completely done with my education. What are the chances they'll need a lawyer?

If Stu Levy could go from being a lawyer to running Tokyopop, then hey, why not you! And...maybe an anime website might not have any need for a full-time staff lawyer, but most of the anime and manga publishing companies have full-time legal counsel on staff. *Somebody*'s gotta make sense out of all those contracts!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
If Stu Levy could go from being a lawyer to running Tokyopop, then hey, why not you! And...maybe an anime website might not have any need for a full-time staff lawyer, but most of the anime and manga publishing companies have full-time legal counsel on staff. *Somebody*'s gotta make sense out of all those contracts!
So my dream of one day running my own anime/manga company ISN'T completely impossible? Shocked

Wow, you just made me feel a heck of lot better about one of my dream futures. I had no idea that the guy running Tokyopop used to be a lawyer. (Geez, maybe I should start researching these guys more. I might not feel so depressed about my future prospects.)

I've been a little down lately, this really does make me feel a bit more like I'm on the right path.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I can write a mean essay, but unfortunately, my course work has otherwise prepared me to be of zero use to an anime website.

I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I write for Protoculture Addicts, so anything's possible. Smile

Richard J. wrote:
(Heck, they probably won't need me even after I'm completely done with my education. What are the chances they'll need a lawyer?)

Most media companies need a lawyer at some point or another, even if it's just to review and approve contracts. You may not be on staff, but you may still be able to at least work with them occasionally. So who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Wow, you just made me feel a heck of lot better about one of my dream futures. I had no idea that the guy running Tokyopop used to be a lawyer. (Geez, maybe I should start researching these guys more. I might not feel so depressed about my future prospects.)

But don't forget, he's also DJ Milky.

Just sayin'.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
But don't forget, he's also DJ Milky.

Just sayin'.

Every time I hear that name, all I can picture is some 40 year old guy trying to sound hip by talking like Slurms MacKenzie. "Wikka-wam-wam-wazzle!"

Just sayin'. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
I can write a mean essay, but unfortunately, my course work has otherwise prepared me to be of zero use to an anime website.

I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I write for Protoculture Addicts, so anything's possible. Smile

Heh, a lot of us have degrees in the sciences. I have a degree in biomedical engineering, and I believe Carlo has his in... chemical engineering?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2