• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony's Animax Channel Goes Mobile in Canada, Australia

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The initial mobile lineup—completely separate from the existing television versions'—will be Blood+, Last Exile, R.O.D -The TV-, and The Count of Monte Cristo (Gankutsuou). No announcement was made about an American version.

Wow that's a pretty good line up, although I've got to question watching anime on your phone. I've had a hard enough time watching anime on my portable media player and that has a pretty decent size. The phone screen would probably drive me crazy, not only that my phone always dies after like 5 calls. I probably couldn't make it pass 5 mins without my phone dieing.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Do you think that Sony made a deal with Geneon to do this?
phinx_64

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
im glad i live in canada but i have to switch networks if i want to have the channel
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Sony owns Blood+ and R.O.D the TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Sony owns Blood+ and R.O.D the TV.

But R.O.D. the TV, Last Exile and Gankutsuou distributor in R1 is Geneon. Unless, you think that Geneon's deal did not cover mobile phone downloads.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But R.O.D. the TV, Last Exile and Gankutsuou distributor in R1 is Geneon. Unless, you think that Geneon's deal did not cover mobile phone downloads.

I don't know the details of what type(s) of right(s) Geneon USA has acquired, but it is fairly common for original license holder(s) to grant different forms of licenses (DVD distribution, broadcasting, accessories e.g. plushies and wall scrolls) to different licensors. Animax Taiwan has aired many titles that have no DVD distribution in Taiwan, notably Haibane Renmei and Witch Hunter Robin, and those licensed often have subtitles different from those of DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
This is probably one of the rare times I wished I owned a cellphone. Embarassed
Amasa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
So now we can get more anime on our mobile phones than on our TV? That kinda sucks....
It's a nice line-up but I think you'd be missing a certain something of a series watching it on a 4 by 5 centimetre screen.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
Hmm...Australia's included into something this time....a surprise.. i mean....where on earth is Australia? Wink

Ill just have to steal my brothers 3G phone to watch anime on the go!
but im not sure if many people would actually use this to watch anime on their phones?

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
My god I think the world is going to end. I mean a company DIDN'T release something new in the States first. I mean WOW. Go Sony! Not that I plan to use this since I'm not switching from Rogers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki Asuka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
*gives Canadians and Australians the round of applause*

Congratulations, people. You've gotten a chance to watch animes on Animax via your cellphones. Well, Malaysians can now watch Animax on the East Asian feed and I currently watch Black Jack, Dear Boys and Gun X Sword.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1