• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo to Move to New Venue for 2008

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wanted to go, but from fighterholic's talk about how disorganized it was, I'm not sure I want to go... I think I need to hear more feedback on what people thought about the convention. Maybe I'll opt to go to Japan instead >.<
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
We're doomed.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
So is this place bigger?
And maybe i'll sign up to work. they seem to need it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
I kinda wanted to go, but from fighterholic's talk about how disorganized it was, I'm not sure I want to go... I think I need to hear more feedback on what people thought about the convention. Maybe I'll opt to go to Japan instead >.<

They do have a convention in Japan, but tempest said at the ANN panel that if you're going to go just for the convention you're better off not going. LA, what better location to have it in than LA. They'll be lucky if they even see me there next year, because the probability of me not going looks like 99% right now. San Diego would have been a better location.
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
oh no, I wouldn't go to Japan for a convention. I go for the culture.. TOTALLY the culture and atmosphere. I wouldn't go to Japan just for anime, manga or anything related. Smile I love the history and nature. (so... I probably won't stop at Tokyo for more than a day, if any)
tidusora

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes! The LA Convention Center is great.
LACC > LBCC
Long Beahc Convention Center is a story in itself.
spife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Los Angeles Convention Center is rather ghetto, but It's just as big as Anaheim Convention Center. But the problem is that AX is so mainstream that they will be more people than last year, meaning more bureaucracy from the staff. I don't even think it's worth going for the whole 4 days...
domino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
They're going to have to have some pretty darn impressive guests if they're going to convince me to go to LA (sorry, LA residents -- worst city I've ever visited) over the fourth of July (a weekend on which I and many others are tied to family obligations)...

So to me, even if it's bigger, this is bad news on top of bad news.

But that 44 thousand attendees figure is quite impressive!
jotaru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, LACC is used to be pretty ghetto, but it has been improving gradually during the past few years. Although I still suggest that the fans better not to stay too late near the convention center area. After the new mall finished building next to LACC, it should help quite a bit. I definitely prefer Anaheim CC than LACC, but I guess LACC's location and visibility can attract even more general fans.

This year's AX is alright, but it's also quite disorganized...as AX is growing bigger, they should start thinking to hire professional con managing companies to handle it like Comic Con. I think AX past the growing pain age, now it's time to be more professional than always relying on volunteers and staffs / fans to organize it.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, really? I loathe the LA Convention Centre. It's ugly, dirty, and utterly lacking anywhere to park. What's the point of holding it there? There's nowhere to parade your cosplay, there's NOWHERE to eat, and it's not even close to anything interesting for tourists, unless you want to attend a basketball game or something at the Staples Centre next door. It's rubbish. Absolute rubbish. > _ <

This is extremely disappointing news. Sad
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
About time, the Los Angeles Convention Center is much closer to my home than Long Beach or Anaheim
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
domino:
Quote:
They're going to have to have some pretty darn impressive guests if they're going to convince me to go to LA (sorry, LA residents -- worst city I've ever visited)

No offense taken. I hate living here, too. Very Happy

Neverwhere:
Quote:
Ugh, really? I loathe the LA Convention Centre. It's ugly, dirty, and utterly lacking anywhere to park. What's the point of holding it there? There's nowhere to parade your cosplay, there's NOWHERE to eat, and it's not even close to anything interesting for tourists, unless you want to attend a basketball game or something at the Staples Centre next door. It's rubbish. Absolute rubbish. > _ <

You can take the subway up to Hollywood for eats and dressing up.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Ghetto is one reason why I would rather not go to LA for AX. And if the staff is going to act the same as this year, I definetly am not going to let myself be supressed by the kind of dictatorship skills that they were displaying. Literally, if I was going the wrong way, they could have been nice about it and just told me that I was going the wrong way. Just ask me to go the opposite direction, not "YOU CAN'T COME THIS WAY! GO BACK THE OTHER WAY!" Rolling Eyes
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

You can take the subway up to Hollywood for eats and dressing up.

This is true, but considering how disorganized the Con in general is, how likely is it that they'll have that information for the tourists? Not bloody likely, methinks. :/

Cosplay may fit in perfectly well in Hollywood, but actually getting there in your Final Fantasy regalia seems extremely problematic, not to mention an invitation for abuse. Erk.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Woah, sweet! The LA convention center is like 5 blocks away from where I work! I stare at it out the window (our studio is on the 18th floor) all the time. I might actually consider going next year since the location is so convenient.

Neverwhere wrote:
Cosplay may fit in perfectly well in Hollywood, but actually getting there in your Final Fantasy regalia seems extremely problematic, not to mention an invitation for abuse. Erk.

Eh, I see stranger people on the subway all the time. As long as you're not mumbling to/shouting at strangers incoherently, I think people will pretty much leave you alone. Especially extravagant cosplayers may get weird looks, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8