• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Serialize Bleach, Publish Slam Dunk

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Just because it's being serialized in Shonen Jump doesn't mean they'll stop releasing the graphic novels.

Obviously. Everyone knows that. But it does mean they will be released much slower, like once every 4-5 months instead of bimonthly. Arggg.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
That's pretty much what they're doing, you know. Just because it's being serialized in Shonen Jump doesn't mean they'll stop releasing the graphic novels. Aren't manga serialized in SJ released quarterly anyway? So there you go. You're getting exactly what you suggested, with the added bonus of the manga appearing in SJ. The fact is Bleach needed to be slowed done a bit for its US release. This would've happened whether Viz decide to publish it in Shonen Jump or not.

Oh I know that we'll still be getting the GNs, but at a much slower rate. For me, Bleach being serialized is almost a lose-lose situation depending on whether or not I'll be continuing my subscription (which I most likely won't by the time my current one ends). If I continue with the subscription, I get to read Bleach at a much slower pace, as I like the bi-monthly release that it's currently on. If I don't, I'll have to wait at least 4 months for a new volume.

I know that Bleach's release would have to be slowed down at some point, but not at this point. Assuming that Bleach's release dates for the Japanese tankobon are correct on ANN's Bleach manga page, 5-6 compiled volumes are usually released every year, very similar to Viz. Though there are more 5 (&and sometimes even 4) tankobon releases per year, this would mean that Bleach would only catch up by 1 (2 at most) volume(s) per year. If Viz just simply slowed it down to a quarterly release, then there'd be no way that the North American release would catch up to the Japanese release, IMO. If Viz releases three chapters a month like Naruto used to and One Piece, then it won't be so bad, yet it's now going to take up valuable space in the magazine that would have otherwise went towards extra Chapters of YYH, HnG, or Bo^7.

And as for your question, only One Piece and Naruto were released quarterly. The other titles (prior to YGO GX's entry to the magazine) would have three compiled volumes per year, though YYH has been slowed down to one volume every five months at the moment.

Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Personally, they should've just picked a new series to serialize, or just don't serialize anything new, so we can have more chapters of Yu Yu Hakusho and Hikaru no Go. Seeing the occasional 1 Chapter per issue seems to happen more frequently now. -_-

Nebs wrote:
There's reason for this as well. Viz has been publishing more chapters of Naruto than usual in order to get past the Itachi arc by November (when Bleach comes out). They'll undoubtedly slow things down a bit when they begin the Shippuuden story next year. So come January you'll have less Naruto chapters & one less series as well (with Yu-Gi-Oh: MW gone, not to mention that Shaman King has already left). All the series in SJ should have more chapters to them come 2008 (with the obvious exception of GX).

I thought about that. It really depends on whether or not SJ has some sort of page limit (or something along those lines).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

Is Bleach going to replace Yu Yu Hakusho? I mean, two series with similar supernatural themes might seem redundant.

It has been a while since I have read my Shonen Jumps so please take it easy on me. I probably have about a year's worth of Shonen Jumps to read scattered somewhere around my room.

I stopped reading SJ when Faust left Shaman King, so I figured when I saw all the fuss of his return to start catching up on 3 yrs worth stacked in the corner, but now it doesn't matter, does it?

Shaman King, per the panel, was removed to speed up the release. They stated they had no plans to cancel any tiles like other publishers, but they could move titles out of Jump or speed up/skow down the manga based on demand. Shaman King out means Bobobo & expanded Naruto. YuGiOh ends (as in over, not terminated) after 4 1/2 yrs in the December ish leaving room for Bleach to start in the January issue.

The DBZ Collector will include Goku's appearance in another title (Nekomanji? didn't catch it. I was hoping for the One Piece crossover which they did say they plan to publish, the question is just when. They did think about using the One Piece crossover, but opted for this one because they felt it was better.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
Oh, and I don't care about Gun Blaze West, as I'd rather see more Toriyama one-shots his U.S. shores.
karenai_hana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU: I'd cry tears of joy if City Hunter got picked up again. I think at this point I'll be happy when any Raijin title gets to be published again. Those titles were a tough sale then and are still a tough sale now. Hopefully, in a few more years, when the kids who are getting into manga now grow up, more interesting things will happen. Maybe. Confused

Also, since SD was announced during the SJ panel, it seems likely that it's going to SJ/SJ Advanced. I really wish that Viz would put more titles under their Signature line. It seems like the least they could do is to go their back-catalog and issue 2nd editions. Black Jack in its original order? Galaxy Express 999? They finally did something with Tekkon Kinkreet (Black & White), but I highly doubt they would have done so without the movie tie-in.

I'm ecstatic about the announcement of SD, but incensed as well. IMO, things of this kind should have happened years ago! But better late than never, I guess? So we should be having REAL very soon, right? Please? Smile

Last edited by karenai_hana on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
I think it's good that Viz holds off on the "Cross Epoch" for now. They're not even at the point of the story (End of Enies Lobby, which will take forever) when it was released.

So the Dragon Ball Collector will include the last chapter for Neko Majin Z? That's kinda of a bummer consider there's quite a couple of stories regarding the Neko Majin universe before that takes place. I'm assuming Viz is just trying to hit it mainstream, since Shonen Jump pretty much is. No one's gonna care about Neko Majin beyond the appearances of Dragon Ball characters (being Vegeta, Majin Buu, & Son Goku). At the same time, that pretty much concerns me about the rest of Toriyama's One Shot Collections. It might not see the day of light, but only time will tell.

On another note, Slam Dunk FTW. Looking forward to it.
Drac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
Cross Epoch was for One Piece's 10th Anniversary if anything it should be printed in a OP related book. As for Neko Majin Z that had five chapters and if only one is getting published here that's pretty lame.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
karenai:
Quote:
I'd cry tears of joy if City Hunter got picked up again. I think at this point I'll be happy when any Raijin title gets to be published again. Those titles were a tough sale then and are still a tough sale now.

The only real tough sells were Nemuri Kyoshiro and Keiji. The others just had bad marketing and distribution issues behind them.

Quote:
Also, since SD was announced during the SJ panel, it seems likely that it's going to SJ/SJ Advanced.

To my knowledge, there isn't anything mature enough for SD to get an SJA, but I could be wrong. The real issue, though, is will they slow it down like they have for St. Seiya, or get it out ASAP. And will they use regular volumes or widebans?
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quote
O_o bleach... serialized!? What about those, like me, that haven't seen far in the anime or read far in the manga!? Yes, I know you guys are going to say just skip it, so don't. The pressure, the pressure, man!

Slam Dunk? wazzat?

And the others don't sound interesting.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:
Slam Dunk? wazzat?

Slam Dunk<---This is it.

I watched slam dunk a while back when I was a kid [In the Philippines]. It'spretty old but It's good. Very Happy Ruwaka's awesome.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Thumbs Up for Slam Dunk! Thats awesome.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:
O_o bleach... serialized!? What about those, like me, that haven't seen far in the anime or read far in the manga!? Yes, I know you guys are going to say just skip it, so don't. The pressure, the pressure, man!

There will be a plot summary and brief character guide (for the most important 5-10, at least; Bleach has a large cast, so they won't be able to cover all of them) for people who haven't been reading it to use to catch up.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
Will Bleach be permanent? If so, buying more GNs would be a waste of money. I hope it's not because then I would miss RADIO KON BABY!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
There's no way to know. It could be permanent, or it could just be until a good stopping point, like they did with DBZ.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2