• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mushishi DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
I'm not sure by what criteria you're going on, and I have no problem with saying it's going to be your personal favorite of the year, but the disconnect between critics and your average fan is rather large.... "American Anime Awards" (Presented by ADV)

'Nuff said already. The damn thing is rigged Rolling Eyes, unless you show me their poll and the names of the people who voted or any other kind of proof that doesn't make me even more suspicious/untrustworthy/skeptical/cynical of those people as it is.

belisarious wrote:
I think that had the anime adaptation tried to develop some sort of unifying theme or some elements of a long term story, the show would have been even better.

Watch the interview with Nagahama on the DVD. Though it's not a concrete explanation and only the first of probably multiple omake we'll be seeing from other volumes, he goes into a little reasoning of what he felt from reading the manga and telling the audience what he wanted to try and create.

My own personal interpretation of the series' themes are also touched upon (lightly) in that thread I started. But when it comes down to it, I think the way this series pretty much leaves things to our own imagination is what makes it so profoundly different from anything else I've seen throughout my 15 years of anime. Not only is it the atmosphere, but the presentation. A few other people stated similar opinions on that type of subject, but hopefully as the series gains more exposure, others might feel the need to express it in their own ways.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
To echo what others have already said, great review, Carl. This series is definitely the best of the year by far and one of the greatest series of all time in my opinion. I don't agree with your thoughts on the dub though. Honestly, I feel that it's just as good as the original Japanese, and I know Tony agrees, as he said so in his in-depth Mushi-Shi thread. Since I prefer dubs, I actually find that I like it better in English.

belisarius wrote:
Series of the Year? Probably not. Most over looked series of the year? Almost certainly. I'm not sure by what criteria you're going on, and I have no problem with saying it's going to be your personal favorite of the year, but the disconnect between critics and your average fan is rather large. While I'm thrilled Funimation took a shot and licensed this show, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they wound up losing money on it. Consider that last year's "American Anime Awards" (Presented by ADV) gave best series to Fullmetal Alchemist, a show that began airing in 2004 and best comedy went to FLCL, a show that had been domestically available for even longer. To be sure, there's a lot to like about Mushishi, especially from an artistic perspective, but I'm relatively certain this isn't a title the mainstream is going to be buying.

Just because a series is overlooked by the mainstream doesn't necessarily mean that is isn't the best series of the year. Sure it may reach the level of popularity of a series like Naruto, but just because Naruto is so wildly popular doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best series out there (and it's not by far). Besides, since fans could vote, the American Anime Awards were just a popularity contest anyway.

belisarius wrote:
I felt they made a mistake by making the show strictly episodic.

You know, the original manga is also episodic in nature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roujin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely the kind of thing that I'm into. Now there is nothing left... but to check it out.
belisarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

You know, the original Count of Monte Cristo didn't have any mecha and the original Battle Star Galactica didn't have any smoking hot robo-babes. Smile Change isn't always a bad thing, especially when you're utilizing a different medium.

Tony : I'm sure Nagahama has his reasons, and I'm sure they're artistically valid. What I'm saying is that, for me personally, the episodic approach they took to the story left something to be desired, especially over the long term. On an per episode basis, Mushishi is probably among the finest anime I've ever seen. When I consider it as a body of work however, I find it somewhat lacking. It would have been interesting to see if they could have taken an approach similar to Cowboy Beebop or Trigun (the first two examples that shoot to mind) where you have a mixture of episodic content and long term story.

Your write up, by the way, was very well done. Hopefully it will be a good catalyst for people to go out and see the show. Don't let my complaints lead you to believe I dislike the show. On the contrary, it's precisely because of it's amazing strengths I was so disappointed it couldn't maximize it's potential (at least in my eyes). This a series that richly deserves any and all success it gets. I really wish Bravo would have picked it up. It's a perfect fit for their programming.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Most definetly the number one show that surprised me (in a good way). I can't wait to rent it.

I've chatted with Ally Kerr online (the guy who does the opener), and he told me that he was performing a small show in Tokyo, and one of the people working on "Mushi-shi" liked "The Sore Feet Song," so they asked if they can use the song for the opening theme. (I wish I had saved the e-mail.)

Apparently the song is popular at some karaoke stations.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
This is such an incredible series. So relaxing, mysterious,and beautiful. These episodes are among some of my favorite in the series.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

belisarius wrote:
I felt they made a mistake by making the show strictly episodic.

I've always wondered why anime fans have such a problem with episodic anime. Doesn't make it any less good.

I wasn't interested in seeing this show until I read this review. I'll have to give it a watch now.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
belisarius wrote:
I'm not sure by what criteria you're going on, and I have no problem with saying it's going to be your personal favorite of the year, but the disconnect between critics and your average fan is rather large.... "American Anime Awards" (Presented by ADV)

'Nuff said already. The damn thing is rigged Rolling Eyes, unless you show me their poll and the names of the people who voted or any other kind of proof that doesn't make me even more suspicious/untrustworthy/skeptical/cynical of those people as it is.

Rigged how? Hardly any ADV shows won anything; why would ADV rig an awards show in favor of their biggest competitor? Most of the winners were Funi shows.

If you're going to be cynical and skeptical at least have a brain about it. Your hatred of ADV is bordering on "thoughtless kneejerk negative reaction to everything they do" rather than legitimate measured criticism.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi is stunning. Visually stunning (that said, the animation is good but not great, but the beautiful imagery and artistry makes up for it) and emotionally effective.
TWXM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the opening song, has anybody heard the full version of it? The part of it that they used for Mushi-shi was quite nice, but choice of lyrics for the rest of the song is questionable. For example:
Quote:
I stole ten thousand pounds, ten thousand pounds, to see you. I robbed convenience stores 'cause I thought they'd make it easier.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If you're going to be cynical and skeptical at least have a brain about it. Your hatred of ADV is bordering on "thoughtless kneejerk negative reaction to everything they do" rather than legitimate measured criticism.

Thanks, you've proven me wrong with some legitimate information, then. That's all I was asking for. And so, I retract that statement. Feel free to make fun of me, everyone...
JackCox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
TWXM wrote:
Speaking of the opening song, has anybody heard the full version of it? The part of it that they used for Mushi-shi was quite nice, but choice of lyrics for the rest of the song is questionable. For example:
Quote:
I stole ten thousand pounds, ten thousand pounds, to see you. I robbed convenience stores 'cause I thought they'd make it easier.

I prefer to allow convenience store to be anything you want it to be, perhaps it may just be a small wares store or something from that period. But it does kinda fit with Ginko's sorta nature he's kinda crafty.
Heretic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
Upon watching a screening of the first two episodes at Otakon I immediately went to the dealer's room and bought it from FUNi's booth. Though they had to cut the second one short as it was going to run into the next panel I was impressed enough to know that I had to own this series.
Max power

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:36 am Reply with quote
TWXM wrote:
Quote:

The lyrics arn't questionable at all, the song wasn't written for the show after all. I think the second half of the song is better than the first... just because it has nothing to do with mushishi, doesn't mean it's questionable.
devkite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:02 am Reply with quote
"Not for those in search of cheap thrills, melodrama or belly-laughs"

This should be highlighted and bolded, I'm convinced that anime like this need to be viewed alone or with a small group of serious minded friends. I showed the first episode at my university's anime club and people got bored quickly and started busting out their DSs and laptops.. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3