• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mushishi DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
devkite wrote:
This should be highlighted and bolded, I'm convinced that anime like this need to be viewed alone or with a small group of serious minded friends. I showed the first episode at my university's anime club and people got bored quickly and started busting out their DSs and laptops.. Confused

Ha! It's proven to be exactly as I said it would. In my thread covering this series, I mention that society in general seems to have lost sight of the more simplistic things in life. Now all people are clamoring for these days is instant gratification and easy entertainment through expensive gaming/electronic devices.

Even the sheer plainness of folklore and fairytales has slipped under these people's minds? You've got a sad bunch of "anime fans" there if they can't even hold an attention span for something like this. They're probably the [adult swim] or FUSE crowd, right? Wanting something not so much over their heads like InuYasha or Tenjou Tenge?
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
They're probably the [adult swim] or FUSE crowd, right? Wanting something not so much over their heads like InuYasha or Tenjou Tenge?

Yikes! I almost took offense to that statement. However, I didn't because I understand the intent of your post. So, no worries. Considering that I like Inuyasha and all of the other [adult swim] anime line-up, and because my likes are "all over the map", that was a close call there. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Yikes! I almost took offense to that statement. However, I didn't because I understand the intent of your post. So, no worries. Considering that I like Inuyasha and all of the other [adult swim] anime line-up, and because my likes are "all over the map", that was a close call there. Wink

Actually, I used like IY to a degree myself Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop (kind of a guilty pleasure, even though it's still very episodic and often strays from Naraku). And I actually like the uncut Ten-Ten manga for the violence and fanservice (another guilty pleasure). I was just trying to use these examples as a reference to how that particular crowd of fans are more likely into straightforward stuff like shounen/seinen/action titles, and that Mushi-Shi was over their heads.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:49 am Reply with quote
Watched the first volume, found it really boring. Won't be watching anymore of this. And before you get all "you're the kind of guy who likes Inuyasha and other stuff for kids" on me, I'm a 21 year old student who's seen over 200 anime shows so far, including masterpieces like Evangelion, Escaflowne and Elfen Lied (yes, I consider Elfen Lied a masterpiece). I can't seem to find anything interesting in Mushishi, so I'll stop watching.
Max power

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Watched the first volume, found it really boring. Won't be watching anymore of this. And before you get all "you're the kind of guy who likes Inuyasha and other stuff for kids" on me, I'm a 21 year old student who's seen over 200 anime shows so far, including masterpieces like Evangelion, Escaflowne and Elfen Lied (yes, I consider Elfen Lied a masterpiece). I can't seem to find anything interesting in Mushishi, so I'll stop watching.

I wouldn't worry, Mushi-shi's style is very extreme, it makes it a love or hate series IMO. It's funny how so many people can think one show is a master piece, but when you watch it... it turns out to be a wast of time. It's always a nice surprise when the opposite is true though, it really forces you to think more indipendently.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
The recurring bits about Ginko's past were interesting, but outside of one episode were never explored to my satisfaction. I have gotten the impression from friends who continued watching the show that the lack of a long term story arc continued to be an issue.

I would argue that Ginko is not actually that important. He fills a role more like a narrator or a storyteller. It's the people he meets and more importantly, it's the moral or truth which each story is trying to impress on the viewer that is important. It's a fairly unconventional approach, but it succeeds in what it sets out to do, even though the result is that it doesn't have much mass appeal.

No one has mentioned how nice the packaging is. I picked up the volume 1 'starter set', and I really like the use of slipcases and the general presentation of the packaging. When so many shows are shoved into boring cardboard boxes that a designer has whacked together in Photoshop one afternoon, it's nice to see a company go that little bit extra and produce something that makes you feel like they value the product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
Max power wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I wouldn't worry, Mushi-shi's style is very extreme, it makes it a love or hate series IMO. It's funny how so many people can think one show is a master piece, but when you watch it... it turns out to be a wast of time. It's always a nice surprise when the opposite is true though, it really forces you to think more indipendently.

You either love the show or you hate it; and nothing in between (like the general census of "Lost in Translation"). As for me, I really loved this series, and am looking forward to watching it again.
egocarib

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Although I agree that this is probably a love or hate sort of series, I think the number of people who will love it is vastly greater than the number who will dislike it. It's certainly not going to give you your action kicks or fill your quota for explosions and gore, but after you're done with all that, it's time to kick back, relax, turn the lights down low, and be overwhelmed and amazed by the beauty contained on this disc. You'll learn a cool thing or two along the way as well - At the end of episode three, for instance, ginko devises a solution to the episodes problem - I won't give anything away, but I've used the method myself consequently and found it very calming and relaxing at times.

This has been my number one most loved series for years now, I just picked up the special edition box and it's beautiful. It comes with a book with sketches and profiles of each character in the first five episodes, and some wonderful art. Looking forward to watching the interviews and other extras tonight!

I highly doubt you'll regret checking this out. And if you don't like it, it will be easy to find a friend who will take it from you.
unclefester

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to help Ally Kerr (whose song as discussed before is the OP to the wonderful Mushishi) tell people who like that song about another one (quite similar in style) that's been released. It's called 'Dislocation' and you can listen to it at his myspace page http://www.myspace.com/allykerr. It's out on very limited edition (signed) CD and on itunes etc etc.

Sorry for the promotion here, hope no one objects. He's not got the backing of a major label etc and is a really independent artist.

Many thanks.
artemiy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Gah.... What's the commotion... Mushishi is great and if u bought it and don't like it it's fine, drop it - i'm not excited over EVA myself - not my masterpiece. it's all subjective.

Just as been said in begining - it's a story about human realtionships and there is a lot of reference to the real wold. For me it's quite a treasure to find so much symbolism and truth in all the stories, they really teach u something usefull in your life, - how to interact. Especially in ep.20 (or last chapter in manga v.3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
Whew! I finally watched volume 1 yesterday. I really love this show! I'm pretty sure that the soothing OP and ED songs/music goes a long way in giving me a warm feeling after every episode. Between all the action and comedy, it's nice to sit back and enjoy a thought-provoking, meandering story. This show really fits the bill.

Now that I've started this series, I must say that that is a great avatar you have there Tony K Cool
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
I also finally got around to seeing the first volume. First impression:

It's a soft, gentle, and highly artistic show with some wonderful storytelling and great artistry beyond Ginko. However, it is also quite slow; even though I was able to appreciate it, I did also find myself watching the time towards the end of every episode, something I normally don't do in a show that fully engrosses me. Hence I can see how people could have extremes of like/dislike reactions on this one, though I think the quality of the series is indisputable.

At this time, while I respect the series, it hasn't hooked me. I will give it at least one more volume to do so, but if the entirety of the series plays out like the first volume then I can't see myself watching it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
I always wanted to see what this series was about and I finally got my chance.

I finally had the chance to check out the "free DVD" that came in last month's 'Newtype USA'. While it didn't have a sub version I went on a braved the "dub". I have to admit the dub was really well done. Very Happy And while I can say good things about the acting, I can definitely say that the series itself is a work of art. Man, the backgrounds just the whole atmosphere of the show is really breathtaking. Very compelling and complex story. Definitely will take multiple viewings if one can't pick up the first time. But then again it's left to anyone's interpretation.

Anyone wishing to hear some words on the directors parts should check out this month's 'Newtype USA' as they post much of the staff's thoughts and involvement with the project.

I may have to really sit down and check this series out.
artemiy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Lawl. Got the hold of DVD Box Set... Aside form awsomnes of series(even watching second time) the postcards, details on Ginko's Backpack (looking into making it myself), extras and behind the scenes was completely over the top!

only thing is VA extras in the last dvd was... not useful... at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gigibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:12 am Reply with quote
So its good just because its different from the norm? I wish I can agree with that but originality means nothing to me if its not interesting. Guess it helps that I don't really care much about originality and can still find cliches I've seen a hundred times interesting if its done right and presented right.

This show has no exciting epic plot nor characters that develops and that you will grow attach to. It has little development in most aspects. It basically doesn't give you much of an emotional response to the plot or characters. If you're the type of people who must have that in a show, then these kind of show will be boring.

My biggest problem is the characters, they have little to no relational or personal development. If i don't care for the characters, I tend to not care for the show. The show also remains essentially the same for 26 episodes, nothing changes, nothing develops. If you're thinking, "the first few episodes may be boring but it might pick up later" then you can forget it. Some episodes are better than others though. The show does has some good points but I'm sure most already know those.

6/10
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3