• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Lagoon DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
It sounded like the other way around. You could tell when T(oyoguchi)-Revy was going thru her mood swings and being cocky. With H(endriske)-Revy, at times, I wasn't truely sure if she was moping or even wanting to really kick ass (like in the Boat Hopping Scence. It kinda felt that she was disinterested in her choice of targets for H-Revy, but with T-Revy, you felt that she was just itching to use the M79 and the Steyr TMP.

We clearly have diametrically opposed viewpoints here, so I see no point in debating this case further.

Quote:
I think my issue wasn't about race, it was more about age. The voice never really sounded old and wise to me. I mean, can you really trust Redman version of Dutch?

Yes. It sounded plenty old and wise enough for me. (In fact, it's the exact voice I pictured when I first saw the character design.) Besides, I've talked to numerous black males where it was less than clear whether they were in their 30s or early 50s just by voice.

Quote:
Let's put it in another context: spoiler[In Episode 9, Dutch compares the shootout with Roberta in the Yellowflag bar with the Battle of Khe Sanh.] Now, compare that comparison against both the Japanese and English dubs. Which dub do you think would best show the age of Dutch's comparison?

Cheap shot. That episode isn't yet available dubbed for comparison, so I haven't seen it. (Most series that I review I'm seeing for the first time, since I don't watch a lot of fansubs.) Since this review and thread only concern vol. 2, please restrict comments and examples to subject matter only up through episode 8.

And while it's entirely possible I may change my opinion once I've seen that episode, I think I've already made it clear that Redman's version of Dutch sounds old and wise enough to satisfy me. Besides, the wrongness of the tenor of a Japanese voice for that character more than balances out the age issue for me anyway. (Dammit, old enough or not, he does not sound black enough in Japanese, and that is an overriding consideration for me. I don't see how that wouldn't bother anyone who has associated a lot with adult black males.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Quote:
Let's put it in another context: spoiler[In Episode 9, Dutch compares the shootout with Roberta in the Yellowflag bar with the Battle of Khe Sanh.] Now, compare that comparison against both the Japanese and English dubs. Which dub do you think would best show the age of Dutch's comparison?

Cheap shot. That episode isn't yet available dubbed for comparison, so I haven't seen it. (Most series that I review I'm seeing for the first time, since I don't watch a lot of fansubs.) Since this review and thread only concern vol. 2, please restrict comments and examples to subject matter only up through episode 8.

Yeah, I kinda realized that today. I'll chalk it up to the heat of the moment arguing with you. My fault.

I'll come back later to do the other points.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
But I don't feel convinced that the swearing is...threatening? Insulting? Effective? Convincing? I mean, it's one thing to say something hurtful, but if you don't say it effectively, it's just a word.

...Much like a food dish, it's not all about the smell, it's sometimes is about the visual appeal as well. You have to look at something from another angle sometimes.

You know what? Never mind. I can see your arguments are purely based on emotive preferences, and I know from my own experience that there's no point in trying to discuss or campaign it to others using words and logic because both sides will only continue to argue counterpoint on top of counterpoint towards their own cause. Plus, I'm tired of typing these really long-winded posts only to get really short replies in return that aren't even working, so I'm dropping this. You win by default.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll interject my own opinion here. If anyone reads it, feel free to comment. I watched both seasons of the series in Japanese, and was very reluctant to pick up the dub. But, seeing it was getting such positive reviews here, I picked up the Limited Editions.

Remember that the characters are supposed to be speaking ENGLISH. Revy, Dutch, and Benny all come from America. Rock is a businessman, so he knows some as well. spoiler[It's clear later on that Revy knows next to no Japanese at all, she's Chinese-American.]

I'll sum it up fast first:
Superior in the English Dub: Benny, Dutch
Equal in either: Rock, Balalaika
Superior in the Japanese: Revy

Too soon to tell: Eda

Benny and Dutch are better in the English dub. The VA being black helps, and Benny's VA (sorry, I'm not going to bother looking up the names) just comes off more "American," which he's supposed to be anyway. Dutch's voice just feels...right.

Balalaika is missing the accent, on both tracks. But both VA's perfectly capture the air of aristocracy she possesses. spoiler[You find out somewhere in Second Barrage that she comes from a prominent family] Both sound cultured, clipped, and ruthlessly cold when they need to be. Rock is the same in either language. Submissive, but can grow a set of balls when he needs to.

Revy is the only one that falters. It's not even by that much. It's not because of the pitch in her voice. It's the tone. Revy has three emotions: Pissed, angry, and none at all. It's clear in a few episodes that Maryke Hendrikse lets too much vulnerability into Revy's voice. Revy doesn't feel sad about how rough her life has been, she just gets pissed that the rest of the world that thinks its all sunshine and flowers. That comes through in Toyoguchi's voice. Hendrikse let's too much out. She was a bit off in episode 1 and 2, but once she got into character, it has been spot on. Other than my issue with episode 7, she's been phenomenal.

If Hendrikse keeps Revy cold and angry, she'll be exactly at the same level as Toyoguchi.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:33 am Reply with quote
I don't like the Cowboy Bebop comparison, as aside from being a superior anime in just about every way Bebop has a much different appeal to me than BL, but I'm still really enjoying the show. It hasn't quite amazed me like it has everyone else ( I shouldn't even be critiquing this review since I haven't finished this disk), but its an cool throwback to amoral action flicks of yesteryear.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the second volume and am intending now to watch the English dub. All of those Nazi's talking and singing in Japanese felt a bit weird. I'm glad Geneon is putting 4 episodes per release.

This might seem odd but the first time I saw the ED credits I though it was funny and it felt like a spoof. It is just a bit over the top for me to take seriously,
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
This might seem odd but the first time I saw the ED credits I though it was funny and it felt like a spoof. It is just a bit over the top for me to take seriously,

I don't quite remember anything over-the-top about the ending theme, unless you're stating that the music is overdramatic...

I really should get around to buying this series, probably in singles since a collection wouldn't have those simple but effective art covers. Black Lagoon is just a ridiculously fun show and it definitely ups the ante in its second season (also gains a bit more substance along the way).

Also looking forward to hearing the English dub as series that seem more geared toward a Western audience work more for me that way (Cowboy Bebop and The Big O come to mind).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2