• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NPR Covers Anime Music Videos, Otakon's Iron Editor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
Too much publicity for a copyright touchy subject?
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Maybe, but did NPR touch on the subject of AMVs being a touchy copyright subject?
MeriToT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out an error in the article. Jeff Heller went up against Bryce Winant (JMI Productions) during Iron Editor. Brad (AtomX) wasn't able to make it to Otakon.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
What impressed me the most about this piece was that the reporter did not present the piece as if she was attending some sort of carnival freak show. No snarky or snide comments, no condescending attitude, no observations that boil down to "well, aren't they special". Based on my previous experiences with how the media usually portrays different varieties of fandom - SF, RPG, videogames, SCA, anime, cosplay, LARP, etc. - i found it to be a really refreshing change of pace.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
Unless you are selling AMVs for money, I would assume they fall under Fair Use.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

Unfortunatly, a lot of people like to think that but it isn't entirely true, even though I really wish it was. Legally, the term Fair Use is documented as "the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research." None of which AMV's fall under.

So even though anime companies don't mind AMV's cause it's like a free trailer for their series, music companies see them as blatant piracy of their music and can sue you if they so decide to. So far this has been avoided, though several music companies have contacted a popular AMV site and requested that all videos with their artists be removed unless the site wanted to face a lawsuit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I love NPR. Always something interesting and enlightening with their broadcasts. I love it when they cover bands and video games.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
It's intriguing that over the million interesting things going on at Otakon, they zoomed in on Iron Editor. Cool, but odd that they didn't go broader.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The music industry would probably have more of a case, seeing as AMVs use songs in their entirety, but only clips of the shows.

That would be like Conde Nast suing a high school student for making a collage using cut-out pictures from Vogue.
dr. worm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:

Unfortunately, a lot of people like to think that but it isn't entirely true, even though I really wish it was. Legally, the term Fair Use is documented as "the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research." None of which AMV's fall under.

So even though anime companies don't mind AMV's cause it's like a free trailer for their series, music companies see them as blatant piracy of their music and can sue you if they so decide to. So far this has been avoided, though several music companies have contacted a popular AMV site and requested that all videos with their artists be removed unless the site wanted to face a lawsuit.

This actually perpetuates a number of misconceptions. First "fair use" is merely a defense that can be used if you are accused of copyright infringement, but is ultimately decided in courts on a case by case basis. The criteria listed is a rather famous set of criteria that was suggested by a judge in a particular ruling, but does not guarantee that you won't be sued for violation of copyright nor does failing to meet these standards automatically mean that it is not fair use. Case in point is the VCR which does none of these things, but recording TV was still ruled as "fair use" by the Supreme Court, while documentarians which do usually meet this sort of criteria must still pay for the rights for clips used if they want to avoid future legal hassles.

As far as the music companies reactions to AMVs, I'd dismiss them as irrational considering that AMV editors/creators consistently cite their sources (song/artist), while radio stations rarely if ever do the same, meaning AMVs are more likely to sell CDs then radio play (on a per viewer/listener basis).
Kusinagi Dude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
dr. worm wrote:
Kiyoko wrote:

Unfortunately, a lot of people like to think that but it isn't entirely true, even though I really wish it was. Legally, the term Fair Use is documented as "the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research." None of which AMV's fall under.

This actually perpetuates a number of misconceptions. First "fair use" is merely a defense that can be used if you are accused of copyright infringement, but is ultimately decided in courts on a case by case basis. The criteria listed is a rather famous set of criteria that was suggested by a judge in a particular ruling, but does not guarantee that you won't be sued for violation of copyright nor does failing to meet these standards automatically mean that it is not fair use. Case in point is the VCR which does none of these things, but recording TV was still ruled as "fair use" by the Supreme Court, while documentarians which do usually meet this sort of criteria must still pay for the rights for clips used if they want to avoid future legal hassles.

As far as the music companies reactions to AMVs, I'd dismiss them as irrational considering that AMV editors/creators consistently cite their sources (song/artist), while radio stations rarely if ever do the same, meaning AMVs are more likely to sell CDs then radio play (on a per viewer/listener basis).

Thats true I've seen AMVs and liked th emusic so I much researched the lyrics when the music wasn't cited and bought the music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1