• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - The Ultimate Teacher

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if there are thread/articles anywhere on ANN:

1. Listing sites about classic/old anime.
2. Proposals for future Buried Treasures.

Due to the (understandably) strict rules here, some of my favourite sites about classic/old anime cannot be mentioned (torrent links usually).

I'm therefore keen to see ANN put together a list or thread of classic/old anime resources, yes - that's the phrase - 'mentionable resources'. Such as AniPages, LOGH.net & so on.

How about a BT special on resources rather than a specific anime?

Nico M
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
LMAO, oh f*** yeah! I was trying to remember the title of this anime not too long ago. Ulimate Teacher was bizarre and that's why I loved it. I mean, a girl who gains super strength for wearing woolen kitty panties and gets weak without them (and the sight of fugly guys twitching with their thong on. That''s classic 80s anime right there my friends. Evidence that fanservice is far from a new thing. But my greatest memory of it that it was throughly entertaining. God, now I have to dig though my aunt's collection of tapes and hope I still have my copy (and the Wanna-be's as well).
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quote
A friend of mine has the UK VHS release, which was given to them by another friend, I suppose I might watch it, but frankly this anime looks uninteresting. I can't wait for another Buried Treasure, maybe with something more to my tastes (and maybe not, it's Justin's column). I like your article about the anime though.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:

1. Almost every ancient anime you can find in any capcity is already in our encyclopedia. You can always link to that. If not, add it!
2. I'm right here, if you want to suggest a Buried Treasure, just post it here or PM me.[/quote]

Quote:
Due to the (understandably) strict rules here, some of my favourite sites about classic/old anime cannot be mentioned (torrent links usually).

Please. There is no reason you need to link to a torrent site to suggest something. There are really only about 5-6 places to look anyway, so nobody here really needs the help.

Quote:
I'm therefore keen to see ANN put together a list or thread of classic/old anime resources, yes - that's the phrase - 'mentionable resources'. Such as AniPages, LOGH.net & so on. How about a BT special on resources rather than a specific anime?

Nice idea, but the point of Buried Treasure is to highlight the anime, not the fan pages that have sprouted up in support of them (and are usually seldom updated).

Anipages is an excellent resource, but there are really very few places like that online. Almost all of those sites are series-specific, and linked to in the encyclopedia.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
nicomorr wrote:

1. Almost every ancient anime you can find in any capacity is already in our encyclopedia. You can always link to that. If not, add it!
2. I'm right here, if you want to suggest a Buried Treasure, just post it here or PM me.

Quote:

jsevakis wrote:

Please. There is no reason you need to link to a torrent site to suggest something. There are really only about 5-6 places to look anyway, so nobody here really needs the help.

All your points are taken - except I am not talking about actual torrent sites - just fansites that most often have links to where their beloveds might be found, ahem.

I realise that an intended permanent encyclopedia such as ANN has to make a decision about whether to include more than facts. So you only include facts, maybe rightly so, but my personal experience has been (at least until Buried Treasure came along) that I can only use ANN to check facts about classic/old anime - not look for reviews & screenshots by aficionados & try & decide which ones I might like.

I can think of several sites devoted to certain classic/old anime that have led to much viewing pleasure & anime education for myself. But nearly all of them have links to torrents (not their torrents). Mostly these anime are unlicensed, but the torrent links preclude their presence in ANN.

I don't know a solution - guess a lot of searching & learning is the only answer. Yes young Grasshopper - great art requires great effort! Especially for foolish Gaijin.

And BTW - my current hidden gem suggestion is "Ushiro no Shoumen Dare" (Ushiro no Shomen Daare) (Kayoko's Diary) (Who's Left Behind?) (うしろの正面だあれ) which stunned me with its animation & moved me to tears - the portrayal of daily family life in immediate-prewar Japan & the protagonist growing up through the war & post-war years. I have to say that although Barefoot Gen & Grave of the Fireflies were fine & although I have only seen this one in an appalling poor .rmvb format (150 kbps) I found it more moving & certain scenes captivated me - like when the little girl rolls out the breakfast table & kicks out the legs with her foot - certain other natural & simple scenes.

Offtopic, apologies. Thanks again for the latest Buried Treasure, which, ahem, I will be watching soon.

Nico M
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
And BTW - my current hidden gem suggestion is "Ushiro no Shoumen Dare" (Ushiro no Shomen Daare) (Kayoko's Diary) (Who's Left Behind?) (うしろの正面だあれ) which stunned me with its animation & moved me to tears - the portrayal of daily family life in immediate-prewar Japan & the protagonist growing up through the war & post-war years.Nico M

I suspect I know where you found this film, I bookmarked it on a fansub site, thinking it might be good, I shall go back and watch it, you've encouraged me. (If only there were a legit DVD release.)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
nicomorr wrote:
[All your points are taken - except I am not talking about actual torrent sites - just fansites that most often have links to where their beloveds might be found, ahem.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Not a whole lot we can do about that, I'm afraid. I'm in the process of researching LOGH, and I think I know one of the sites you're talking about. At least, I'm glad Buried Treasure can help fill that void in other ways.

Quote:
And BTW - my current hidden gem suggestion is "Ushiro no Shoumen Dare" (Ushiro no Shomen Daare) (Kayoko's Diary) (Who's Left Behind?) (うしろの正面だあれ) which stunned me with its animation & moved me to tears

Ooh, good choice. I had this in the VHS days and once nearly found myself bawling while SCANNING THROUGH THE ENDING, trying to get to something after it on the tape. I hope I still have my copy somewhere.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
nicomorr wrote:
[All your points are taken - except I am not talking about actual torrent sites - just fansites that most often have links to where their beloveds might be found, ahem.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Not a whole lot we can do about that, I'm afraid. I'm in the process of researching LOGH, and I think I know one of the sites you're talking about. At least, I'm glad Buried Treasure can help fill that void in other ways.

Quote:
And BTW - my current hidden gem suggestion is "Ushiro no Shoumen Dare" (Ushiro no Shomen Daare) (Kayoko's Diary) (Who's Left Behind?) (うしろの正面だあれ) which stunned me with its animation & moved me to tears

Ooh, good choice. I had this in the VHS days and once nearly found myself bawling while SCANNING THROUGH THE ENDING, trying to get to something after it on the tape. I hope I still have my copy somewhere.

Hope you find it. I think my copy is an loQ .rmvb rip of the VHS, wish I could find a better copy. Mushi Pro now has an English site (sort of) http://www.mushi-pro.co.jp/ - listing at http://www.mushi-pro.co.jp/ENG2.html - a few unseen gems there (some only on 16mm film by the looks of it).

Nico M
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2