• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Battle Club GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milcor1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
F+? Now that's a funny grade.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="milcor1"]F+? Now that's a funny grade.[quote]

I think they gave those out in my high school. Hey, if your going to suck, do it with style!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote
Well an F+ is still better than F-.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I think they gave those out in my high school. Hey, if your going to suck, do it with style!
My high school was filled with so many useless losers, the teachers had to start giving bonus points to keep people from getting F's and they dropped the D grade in favor of an extra large C range.

I think this is the first review for a manga I've seen in months where the letter grades were different. (Usually it's just the same letter but with a plus and minus for diversity.)

Strangely, it's the first bad review that actually makes me want to buy the manga. Twisted Evil

I'm such a pervert. Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
I guess the + comes from the art and the fact that it at least provides people with loads of tasteless fanservice if that's what they are looking for. An F- would probably indicate something with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
"lovingly detailed breasts, butts, and panties" SOLD! But really, how detailed can breasts and butts be? I'd take those out of the equation and you only got panties, taking the grade down thusly to an F.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least an F+ is better than a Z.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:

God damn does that reviewer have absolutely no taste. I'm not even talking about the Q-ko-chan review; those are some of the worst opinions I've ever seen.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote

Yes...Yes F+ is better then a blood drenched Z grade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

God damn does that reviewer have absolutely no taste. I'm not even talking about the Q-ko-chan review; those are some of the worst opinions I've ever seen.

While haven't read the actual reviews of very many, there are only a couple that I completely disagree with (Ouran High School Host Club for example. However, the few reviews I have read lead me to put little stock in his opinions.

My bigger complaint is that his reviews are made to look like they review the entire series when he's actually only reviewing one or two volumes most (if not all) of the time. He dishes out claims for entire series with little knowledge of them (case in point: Pita Ten "Fans of drama, you're screwed with this series!").
Himalayus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
For the record, the + is because it wrung a chuckle or two out of me. That had to count for something. I reserve the F grade (sans +) for things that put a grimace on your face long enough for it to fossilize there.

The F- is solely for those that I burn on sight (a practice that has made me rather unpopular at comic book stores; it's something about the effect of sprinkler systems on books...).
wings of words

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
And the breasts, butts, and panties, right?
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I find it offensive and immature that the author wrote that the pros of this manga are panties, breasts and butts. I understand that the manga is a men's manga, which I don't mind, but adding comments twelve year old boys would say is really immature.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
He dishes out claims for entire series with little knowledge of them (case in point: Pita Ten "Fans of drama, you're screwed with this series!").

Hoo boy, you've got that right. I found myself laughing out loud when he said that Demon Diary was about "gay marriage." Rolling Eyes
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
I find it offensive and immature that the author wrote that the pros of this manga are panties, breasts and butts. I understand that the manga is a men's manga, which I don't mind, but adding comments twelve year old boys would say is really immature.

I think he was desperately searching for something positive to say about the manga. And its a pro if that's what you are looking for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2