• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My-Otome DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lildude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
The dub for My-HiME was a train wreck for me. I usually like dubs over subs, because usually acceptable perfomances are good enough for me, and I have some trouble reading because of my eyesight, but that was an exception. So far I think this dub is doing a lot better, but it still needs improvement.

Hopefully Bandai will use the same cast for Zwei next year, so we can maybe see the VAs get comfortable enough with their roles to do a much better job.
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quote
I was never a fan of Ocean's work, but they've made a slight improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:20 am Reply with quote
This first volume gave me the same impression that t he first G Gundam volume gave me. By the end of the DVD I was wondering why this series was tied to My Hime instead of being a new original series. I feel as though the difference between this series setting from our reality created a bigger distance for me. I actually like the pseudo real world that My-Hime was set in compared to the complete sf setting of Otome.

I also miss the little character bits that are at the end of the My Hime episodes.
Heretic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
Compared to Hime this is a complete disappointment, especially in the second half where it just seems like everything was jumbled around and a lot of characters didn't even get the chance to shine or develop. Hime handled the large cast much better. At the very least, Shizuru gets some great moments in the first half of Otome. Laughing
S0litaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Woah, I'm usually aware of DVD releases, but didn't even realize this was out. I like that the art box is so similar to the HiME one, they'll look good together. While I didn't like Otome nowhere as much as I liked HiME, I still found Otome enjoyable. I'll be getting this one soon...
Nebs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The fan-service settles down in the second half of the series (but not before the extremely fan-servicey episode 6), which is also where the plot & action really picks up. Mai-Otome gets really good, rest assured. So many "Mai" fans that I know of eventually wound up preferring Otome to HiME in the end.

& as for Mai's appearance in Otome. You're gonna have to wait a LONG time before she comes in. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nameles84

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:15 am Reply with quote
Whaoo... same collector's box as My-Hime? That's cool. A Maroon (Red) matching the blue. Sounds good.

I've got the entire collection of My-Hime! Can't wait for My-Otome hehehe... Anyway, the Dub for My-Hime was quite well done. Hopefully the Dub for Otome is also appealing.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:05 am Reply with quote
Nameles84 wrote:
Anyway, the Dub for My-Hime was quite well done. Hopefully the Dub for Otome is also appealing.

Er, were you listening to the same dub I was? I thought the lead was one of the best female performances of last year, but it also has some amazingly weak ones, too. (Takumi and Mashiro in particular.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:25 am Reply with quote
The dub for Otome just doesn't live up to Ocean's reputation for mediocre dubs. The main characters are not done quite right, either a little bit stiff or lacking the nuances the seiyuu give the characters, while the minor ones seem to be done closer to their Japanese counterparts.

What's up with Shizuru's accent in the English dub? It shifts from Southern Belle to British to Australian to a stereotypical Southern Black Maid in no particular order.

Otome is still a fun series to watch regardless.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate for me: Mai-ZHime (My-Otome) started out as a pretty good quota-show that had a large amount of lesbian undertones. One would forget that it was done by $unrise.

Until $unrise went out of their way to remind people that it's done by $unrise. After the sex-block between Akane and Kazuya, I never forgave them and I'll take that to my grave.

Huff! Anime played on TV or cable is not a good place to see characters have sex. Not for a way to relieve oneself from the built-up frustration, anyway... Evil or Very Mad
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I've rather enjoyed what I've seen of My-Otome so far. Some of the character's re-worked personalities will take some getting used to (I don't like the bratty Mashiro, but Haruka is great - even more obnoxious but now with super powers! *lol* ), but the Otome world looks very interesting, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. And there's more ShizNat (Shizuru onee-sama is so cool!!!! Anime hyper ), so I'm not complaining. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

As for the dub, I don't know if I'll ever pluck up the courage to actually watch the My-HiME/Otome franchise dubbed - Kyoto-ben just sounds so melodic to my ears, I don't know if I could cope with Shizuru sounding like a Southern belle, heh. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Nameles84 wrote:
Whaoo... same collector's box as My-Hime? That's cool. A Maroon (Red) matching the blue. Sounds good.

Looks good too. ^_~
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h211/EVA_fiend/MyHiME-Otome.gif
lildude

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:05 am Reply with quote
Nameles84 wrote:
Anyway, the Dub for My-Hime was quite well done. Hopefully the Dub for Otome is also appealing.

You mean the original Japanese dub right? Saying the English version is well done is like saying Evangelion is a mindless Mecha. What I just said makes no sense right? Because it shouldn't, I'm just saying you must have been watching a totally different dub to call it well done.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
lildude wrote:
You mean the original Japanese dub right? Saying the English version is well done is like saying Evangelion is a mindless Mecha. What I just said makes no sense right? Because it shouldn't, I'm just saying you must have been watching a totally different dub to call it well done.

Nope. Usually when people talk about dubs, they talk about the English ones.

Also: There IS such a thing as "English versions of something that can be well done." Just because something lacks the use of Japanese honorifics and sentence-ending particles doesn't make any anime title instantly bad.

Finally: You're right. Evangelion isn't mindless mecha. It's complete and utter masturbatory garbage created by some escapee from a mental ward. It's a way of giving idiots fake intelligence and promoting the "perfect woman;" one that's silent, submissive, and with short blue hair.

And now, back to the current argument about My-Otome: I lost all faith in $unrise. Maybe what I'm about to say is too far-stretched. But a painful trip down the economic hole can be good and disciplinary for that company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1