• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note GN 12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Super Ska Master wrote:
Art graded a B? What the hell? Death Note has the best art I've ever seen in a manga series. ESPECIALLY in the last volume. The final scenes of the ending are breathtaking. This review lost all it's credability with that score IMO.

I agree. It has a level of detail that very few works have.

I also concur an the art being given B which it rightfully doesn't deserve. I was very impressed at the detail of the art, especially for a series that was serialized weekly and Takeshi Obata deserves some major props for this effort. IMHO the art quality of Death Note is up there with some of the monthly seinen series.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Dear Ms. Lawrence

I just read your review of Death Note Graphic Novel 12 and I noticed that you mention that they never explained what happened to Misa. I'm pretty sure the female figure shown in the last panel of the epilogue chapter was Misa.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Ariel:
Quote:
Hell, if you don't frighten the masses with bad consequences, you will not have a stable government.

Well, maybe you'd agree with that philosophy if you chose to live under Hitler, Stalin, and Pinochet's regimes; but a system in which the public doesn't feel afraid that it will be targeted outside of the law at whim for punishment determined by a biased party has been the bedrock of our democratic system for hundreds of years.

Quote:
Hell, if you don't frighten the masses with bad consequences, you will not have a stable government. For examples, in America, we have a justice system that doles out punishments if we broke a certain law. Break the law and you'll pay for it. Hell, in most states, if the crime is serious enough, you can basically lose your life. The tactics that Light used aren't that different from that.

Yes, but you get to appeal your case, and, depending on the circumstances, are even occasionally given the opportunity to rehabilitate yourself in prison for murder.

Quote:
Plus, Light was never on the side of the law enforcement in the first place

That's because, like Bush, he believes he's his own law enforcement.

Quote:
Note, Light has going after only the people who were trying to catch him. With the best dectectives of the world after you, do you really think it's wise to leave them to their own devices?

But they're just doing their jobs as law enforcers; they're not murderers! Killing them undermines Light's argument that he's protecting the world, because he's really protecting any challenge to his power.

Quote:
Besides, what I don't get from some fans is that people treat the police as they were innocent civilans. Remember, for them, catching Light basically killing him as well, in a way since Light is mostly was to be executed once captured.

They are innocent, since they're trying to stop crimes from happening. Whether you like it or not, killing people in prison is still murder. And there's no guarantee that Light would be executed. But even if he were, it would show that he's not above the law.

Quote:
The key to L's downfall was that he second-guessed himself alot and he needs a sure thing before he makes any move.

He actually had it right the first time, but, instead, chose to follow Light's rules, because he actually believed Light's bs, even though he was skeptical through most of the arc. Ohba knew that Light couldn't normally win, so he/she had to make L suppress his own detective's instincts and sense of logic, so he could be defeated.

Quote:
Light is actually smarter than L (and Near is also) according to the upcoming Vol 13.

Even if it's official, I disagree. Light is just lucky, while Near would be fairly helpless without back-up.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
but I was upset with how spoiler[patheic he seemed to get at the end. i wish he had of won when I read him begging for his life]

You do realize the entire point of the comic is that Light is an irredeemable murderer and a vicious narcissistic scumbag, right?

I don't get how anyone could read this comic and consider that character a "badass". If anything it speaks to the ridiculous antisocial insane fantasies of many anime fans out there, and that makes me sad.

I'm sorry but I disagree. i feel Light was right in what he did. You're always talking about how preverse people are who read lolicon materials, but the people who actually go out and rape kids are some sick people. many of them don't repent for what they'e done and as soon as they get free they return to what they did before. That's why you have so many repeat offenders.

There are so many types different types of crimmnals out there in the world. The only thing I disagreed with Light about was his killing of petty crimmals- those who he didn't give time to change their ways. Many of them did though- and thats why I think during spoiler[the tail end of Light's reign] crime had dropped 70%.

Don't get me wrong, I also realize it was because many of the crimnals of the world were probably dead. spoiler[But the world fell right back into chaos as soon as Light died and that seems to be the only way to get over to some people]

I don't think the thought is ridiculous at all. I liked Light and what he believed in. he was making the world a better place. is the world better with people stealing from each other for money, killing because they want to simply take something from someone esle? Raping because they want to feel good about themselves, or taking advantage of kids because they can hold control over them? It's not.

GATSU wrote:
Ariel:
Quote:
Actually, the whole series is that there's basically no "right" side to the matter. No one can deny that the world that Light was making was safer to live in.

I can totally deny it. If you want to constantly be frightened into doing the "right" thing, you should really move to China or Saudi Arabia. Like Bush, Light is wrong, because he kills with impunity without understanding the context behind people's actions. And he kills, because it makes him feel morally superior and boosts his ego, not because he's actually doing anyone a favor. In fact, like Bush, the fact that Light is willing to stab law enforcement in the back-to continue his charade-shows how reprehensible and unhinged he really is, compared to L.

Light is nothing like Bush. Bush is sending people to slaughter for
the money.
Light killed people to stop evil.

spoiler[Which he, I admit, evenutally became. But his overall goal still remained the same and I think that if he he beat Near and kept going the world would have been a better place. ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
No offense to your writers, I think they're awesome, but why are you reviewing the same manga title twice and in such a short time? (In Right Turn Only and now this.) I guess I could understand if your two reviewers had vastly different opinions, but it seems like they more or less feel the same way about the series.

Our standard-length reviews are separate from our review columns. The standard-length ones are done by different writers - Carlo, who writes Right Turn Only, would not turn around and review the same titles he did there in the standard format. The long reviews also allow the critic to go more in-depth.

By your logic, we would never have full-length reviews of most titles because they all get covered by one person in the review columns. I want a diversity of opinion here, not one person's judgement on everything. So we have a large reviews team.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore: In volume 1, Light spoiler[considers killing one of his own classmates. He says: "A guy like that, nobody's going to notice." He later says "Look at all the people the world would be better off without"]

While he did do his first murders out of "justice", young Light started showing some scary behavior early on.

And at the end of the story, spoiler[Light was mad for the idea of ruling the world as Kira. All through the series, he used people (Misa, Kiyomi Takada , and Teru Mikami.) He'd kill them off like they were nothing just to keep himself safe.]

In the manga, Light and his story is interesting ,but if he was a real person, in our world, it'd be terrifying.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
britannica:
Quote:

I'm sorry but I disagree. i feel Light was right in what he did.

So he was right to kill law-abiding cops?

Quote:
You're always talking about how preverse people are who read lolicon materials, but the people who actually go out and rape kids are some sick people.

Perhaps, but some people are falsely accused of certain crimes, and, with the exception of Ken Lay, a jury convicting them should not take away their right to appeal.

Quote:
many of them don't repent for what they'e done and as soon as they get free they return to what they did before. That's why you have so many repeat offenders.

The repeat offender myth is what keeps ex-cons who've served their sentences from being able to return to society. It relegates them to the status of second-class citizens.

Quote:
Many of them did though- and thats why I think during spoiler[the tail end of Light's reign] crime had dropped 70%.

Did crime drop because people were afraid to be killed, or did law enforcement get so tied down with jailing Kira, that criminals got smart enough to cover their tracks?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I also realize it was because many of the crimnals of the world were probably dead. spoiler[But the world fell right back into chaos as soon as Light died and that seems to be the only way to get over to some people]

So you're saying mob rule by a cult which embraces Kira isn't chaos?

Quote:
he was making the world a better place. is the world better with people stealing from each other for money, killing because they want to simply take something from someone esle? Raping because they want to feel good about themselves, or taking advantage of kids because they can hold control over them? It's not.

But you're looking at it in simplistic terms. Not everyone steals, kills, and rapes
because they enjoy it.

Quote:
the money. Light killed people to stop evil.

No, that's Cheney's motive. Bush is a murderer, because he genuinely believes he is in the right. Hence why he and Light both enjoy the phrase, "evildoers".

Quote:
spoiler[Which he, I admit, evenutally became. But his overall goal still remained the same and I think that if he he beat Near and kept going the world would have been a better place. ]

If he beat Near, that would make him dictator-for-life.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I cannot express how much it scares me that anyone would think Light was in the right for what he did. Yes, I'll admit he had somewhat good intentions. But his methods were so far from right that these good intentions are completely negated, plus he does definitely kill some people who were completely innocent during the course of the series, because they got in his way.

Of course, L also isn't a purely good character and got quite scary at times too. But he generally stayed on the side of the law at least.

What Light does is murder, plain and simple.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
spoiler[The fact that his moral reasoning is based on the logical fallacy that Light himself cannot be evil made twelve the best volume for me (since one and two, at least). I wonder how many readers were left feeling like Teru Mikami at Light's downfall?]

Hehe, spoiler[I kinda felt disappointed and REALLY wanted Light to win...I HIGHLY doubt anyone went that far though...]

marie-antoinette wrote:
I cannot express how much it scares me that anyone would think Light was in the right for what he did. Yes, I'll admit he had somewhat good intentions. But his methods were so far from right that these good intentions are completely negated, plus he does definitely kill some people who were completely innocent during the course of the series, because they got in his way.

Of course, L also isn't a purely good character and got quite scary at times too. But he generally stayed on the side of the law at least.

What Light does is murder, plain and simple.

You can't deny the fact that he DID clean up the world in some ways. The things he did WRONG IMO was the trying to cover up. If he had been more careful from the start, he wouldn't have had to use evil methods to try and cover up his actions.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:

I'm sorry but I disagree. i feel Light was right in what he did.

So he was right to kill law-abiding cops?

I'll admit he was wrong for this. But I do feel that they should have been grateful someone was doing their work for them. Cops strive to protect and stop crime. Crime was being stopped- they should have let it happen.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
many of them don't repent for what they'e done and as soon as they get free they return to what they did before. That's why you have so many repeat offenders.

The repeat offender myth is what keeps ex-cons who've served their sentences from being able to return to society. It relegates them to the status of second-class citizens.

is it not true that a large group of offenders repeat the same offense when freed? how many times does the same individual have to touch someone inappropriately or harm people before they're deemed unfit for soceity? I think they three strikes rule applies there.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
Many of them did though- and thats why I think during spoiler[the tail end of Light's reign] crime had dropped 70%.]

Did crime drop because people were afraid to be killed, or did law enforcement get so tied down with jailing Kira, that criminals got smart enough to cover their tracks?

neither of us know the answer to this question.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:

So you're saying mob rule by a cult which embraces Kira isn't chaos?

i'll admit it'd be chaotic at frist. it takes time for change. I think spoiler[ if light had got a bit more time] everything would have settled down and the world would have gotten even better.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
he was making the world a better place. is the world better with people stealing from each other for money, killing because they want to simply take something from someone esle? Raping because they want to feel good about themselves, or taking advantage of kids because they can hold control over them? It's not.

But you're looking at it in simplistic terms. Not everyone steals, kills, and rapes
because they enjoy it.

True. I'll accept that. But I still think light's overall reasoning and goals were correct.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:
the money. Light killed people to stop evil.

No, that's Cheney's motive. Bush is a murderer, because he genuinely believes he is in the right. Hence why he and Light both enjoy the phrase, "evildoers".

it's arguable about Cheney and Bush- I see them both as evil and in for the same reasons. it's also questionable as to if Bush believes he's right. I think he knows he's wrong- but he's fucked up so badly he can't admit it. Plus with all the money he has he could disapper if need be.

GATSU wrote:
britannica:
Quote:

If he beat Near, that would make him dictator-for-life.

I think that a good majority of the world would be happy to live 99% crime free.

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Treetastic wrote:
spoiler[The fact that his moral reasoning is based on the logical fallacy that Light himself cannot be evil made twelve the best volume for me (since one and two, at least). I wonder how many readers were left feeling like Teru Mikami at Light's downfall?]

Hehe, spoiler[I kinda felt disappointed and REALLY wanted Light to win...I HIGHLY doubt anyone went that far though...]

Yeah I wouldn't go that far. But I did spoiler[want him to win- and was kinda crushed he didn't.] It was HP7 all over again...-.-;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
You can't deny the fact that he DID clean up the world in some ways.

Actually I can. All the bad people he killed were known criminals. That's what the justice system is for, not some vigilante with a god complex.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
britannica:
Quote:
Cops strive to protect and stop crime. Crime was being stopped- they should have let it happen.

Crime was being stopped at the expense of a the rights of the accused and convicted.

Quote:
is it not true that a large group of offenders repeat the same offense when freed?

No, but facts are usually fudged to make it look that way.

Quote:
how many times does the same individual have to touch someone inappropriately or harm people before they're deemed unfit for soceity?

Even if they're "unfit", that doesn't automatically mean they deserve to die.

Quote:
neither of us know the answer to this question.

Exactly the point.

Quote:
I think spoiler[ if light had got a bit more time] everything would have settled down and the world would have gotten even better.

Or it could have just turned into another Spanish Inquisition...

Quote:
But I still think light's overall reasoning and goals were correct.

His reasoning is that he has to kill anyone he can to insure "peace", even if it means people who want the same thing, but who don't believe in his methods.

Quote:
it's also questionable as to if Bush believes he's right.

Anyone who claims Jesus wanted this war clearly believes he's in the right.

Quote:
I think he knows he's wrong- but he's fucked up so badly he can't admit it.

I wish that were the case, but everything he's done to keep the war going says otherwise.

Quote:
I think that a good majority of the world would be happy to live 99% crime free.

A majority of the world would be happy to not have to worry about starvation or global warming and other more pressing issues. We're the only country paranoid about crime.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

His reasoning is that he has to kill anyone he can to insure "peace", even if it means people who want the same thing, but who don't believe in his methods.

It's extremely difficult for me to say this, but I agree with Gatsu here.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Not if it meant having a constant dagger over their heads that could come down at any split second at the mere rumor of a misdeed. Happiness isn't happiness if it comes via some maniacal tyrant that's more than willing to kill you if he thought he heard a possible rumor that maybe somewhere somehow you might've theoretically stolen an apple from a hypothetical grocery store maybe kinda sorta.

Happiness also doesn't come at the hands of someone who's willing to drop you in an instant if you simply don't share his absolute opinion on everything in the universe. Something Yagami Lightbulb also did, as I recall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Also spoiler[I thought that it was misa on the last page saying that she missed kira] i guess not though.

Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
Yeah, that was definitely spoiler[Misa on the last page]... though I read this manga a really long time ago, and then, I was completely sure it was her.

Romuska wrote:
Dear Ms. Lawrence

I just read your review of Death Note Graphic Novel 12 and I noticed that you mention that they never explained what happened to Misa. I'm pretty sure the female figure shown in the last panel of the epilogue chapter was Misa.

No. It is not Misa. It is 100% offical that it is not Misa.
spoiler[How To Read 13 states that Misa killed herself after the events of the last book. It fits, I guess. "Those who use the notebook are cursed with misfortune". Ryuk said something like that when Soichiro (Light's dad) died]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4